Ask a Mormon

Allie84

Mum and Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi everyone! If you have any questions about being Mormon/LDS just ask here! Between me and the other LDS ladies on the forums, I'm sure we'll have some insight for you.

I'm a convert to the Mormon church (since I was 13) and have lived all over and attended the LDS church all over (UK and the USA) so I have a pretty varied perspective, and I'm NEVER offended.

:flower:

Heya. What sets the Mormon faith apart from other christians? x

Hi! Well, the basic answer is that we believe that we have the 'fullness of the gospel.' We believe that all of the other Christian churches have parts of the faith and are all 'part' of the truth but that over time the real Christian church fell away. This is called the apostasy.

The Mormon church is pretty new. We believe that in the 1800s God appeared to a boy and instructed him how to restore the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. His name was Joseph Smith and we believe God told him how to restore the church that Jesus Christ had intended...with apostles, the priesthood, temples, etc.

Some basic beliefs that are different from other Christian churches:

1) We believe that the Bible is true but also that it was altered over time and a lot of things were left out that God wanted to say, so we have additional scripture such as the Book of Mormon. It's another account of Jesus Christ.
2) We believe that marriages are eternal and not 'til death do you part.' When you have a Mormon wedding you are married for time and all eternity.
3) We believe that our spirits existed before earth and that our life on earth is a 'mortal probation' to test our souls, and that we will go back to be with God again.
4) The Mormon church lets more people into heaven than most churches, to put it crudely. We believe that if you haven't had a chance to hear about the church on earth that when you die you go to a spirit world where you learn about the church and can accept Jesus Christ, etc. I find it interesting how a lot of religions believe that if you don't 'accept Jesus' on earth you go to hell. That's a lot of people. The Mormon church gives you another chance after death.

I hope that helped answer a little bit! If you need me to explain anything better let me know. :)

I'll be watching this, would love to help if anyone has questions!

I have heard that there is Mormon underwear. Is this true? How is it different from regular underwear?

Not being silly here, just wondered.

When we are ready (usually before getting married or going on a mission, but can happen at other times) and worthy we go to the temple and receive our endowments. In the temple and endowment ceremony we make promises to God. The underwear is nothing secret. We call them garments, and they represent our covenants made with God. They are meant to provide us protection and be a constant reminder of the promises we made in the temple. They are different from normal underwear because they look more like a shirt and knee length shorts.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I don't like the term 'underwear.' They are garmets we wear close to our body to represent covenants and promises made to God. It's a little peculiar, and popular culture likes to call it 'magic underwear' but it's not different to us than any other religious garmet, such as a hajib to muslims or a turbun to sikhs, etc.

I've been researching my family tree, and many times "Familysearch" has helped with my research (for those that don't know, it's run and maintained by the LDS church). I read somewhere that, in order to be a mormon you must "convert" your ancestors to be mormon also. Can I ask why this is? Does it benefit you in any way, or does it mean you're not a "proper" mormon unless all of your ancestors were too?

Also, and sorry if this is offensive, but I'm atheist, which is probably why I feel this way, but do you not think it's a bit disrespectful to "convert" your ancestors to be a certain religion, when they may not have wanted it when they were alive? Like I say, I don't mean to be offensive, it's just that as an atheist (which I choose to be, and feel very passionate about), I would be angry if I knew I was going to be converted to a religion after my death; when during my life I chose not to be a part of it.

Another question I have is, do mormons have to recruit people to be a part of your religion by knocking on doors etc (that's the way it's done here at least). Is there a reason it's done so often, or is it just that people want to spread the word

I've been researching my family tree, and many times "Familysearch" has helped with my research (for those that don't know, it's run and maintained by the LDS church). I read somewhere that, in order to be a mormon you must "convert" your ancestors to be mormon also. Can I ask why this is? Does it benefit you in any way, or does it mean you're not a "proper" mormon unless all of your ancestors were too?

Also, and sorry if this is offensive, but I'm atheist, which is probably why I feel this way, but do you not think it's a bit disrespectful to "convert" your ancestors to be a certain religion, when they may not have wanted it when they were alive? Like I say, I don't mean to be offensive, it's just that as an atheist (which I choose to be, and feel very passionate about), I would be angry if I knew I was going to be converted to a religion after my death; when during my life I chose not to be a part of it.

Another question I have is, do mormons have to recruit people to be a part of your religion by knocking on doors etc (that's the way it's done here at least). Is there a reason it's done so often, or is it just that people want to spread the word

One of the things we believe very strongly in is life after death. We believe that if you are sealed to your families here on earth, then you can be together after death. You can absolutely be a mormon without having all of your ancestors baptized. Family history work is really important to us because we are trying to make sure that everyone will make it back to live together.

I don't really like the term "converting" your dead ancestors. I don't believe that is what we are doing. In our temples we do baptisms as well as sealing together families for the living as well as the dead. We believe that to live together after death, everyone has to be baptized and sealed together forever. Everything i have been taught about this process tells me that when we do their temple work here on earth, they will have the opportunity to accept it OR reject it. Just because their work is done doesn't mean they are 'mormon'. Instead they have been given the opportunity to accept the gospel, be baptized, and sealed to their families since they may have rejected it or not had the opportunity to do it here on earth.

As for your second question-
We have missionaries, just like other religions. Young men (18 or 19 years old) and women (19 years old) can make the decision to serve a mission. They are then called to an area somewhere in the world where they will serve for 2 years (for boys) or 18 months (for girls). They spend all day every day sharing the Gospel with anyone who is interested, teaching about Jesus Christ and his teachings. Occasionally missionaries might go door to door, but for the most part they are teaching people who have contacted them because they are interested or who have been referred to them by someone else.

Mormons have a firm belief that we belong to the true church of Jesus Christ, and our faith brings us happiness. We send missionaries to share the gospel with as many people as will hear it, so that they can feel the same happiness too.

i hope i've helped a little - maybe others can add more to help fill in any gaps i've missed.

I have a sincere question about Christianity and LDS (i want my tone to come across as gentle and geniunly curious because i have always wondered this). I think (correct me if i am wrong) LDS also believe they are Christians (im using the term loosly as i understand you identify as LDS and not just as what most ppl think of "standard Christianity", but im using the term "Christian" here to describe those who believe and follow Jesus), so a person of LDS faith also identifies with the Bible (because they believe in Jesus). Which means they believe the Bible? My question is how do LDSs explain one of the last verse of the Bible in Revelation that states you shouldn't add words to The Book (Bible) or take words away but then have the belief that the Bible has missing information and so the Book of Mormon was created. How is that justified in relationship to the Bible verse?:

NKJV: "18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

One more question: Why are those who are not LDS not allowed to attend wedding ceremonies and that sort of thing within the LDS temples, even if they believe in Christ and are family/close friends?

I have a sincere question about Christianity and LDS (i want my tone to come across as gentle and geniunly curious because i have always wondered this). I think (correct me if i am wrong) LDS also believe they are Christians (im using the term loosly as i understand you identify as LDS and not just as what most ppl think of "standard Christianity", but im using the term "Christian" here to describe those who believe and follow Jesus), so a person of LDS faith also identifies with the Bible (because they believe in Jesus). Which means they believe the Bible? My question is how do LDSs explain one of the last verse of the Bible in Revelation that states you shouldn't add words to The Book (Bible) or take words away but then have the belief that the Bible has missing information and so the Book of Mormon was created. How is that justified in relationship to the Bible verse?:

NKJV: "18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

One more question: Why are those who are not LDS not allowed to attend wedding ceremonies and that sort of thing within the LDS temples, even if they believe in Christ and are family/close friends?

Hey hun, I'm going to refer you to our website... mormon.org because i believe it can answer the questions you have a LOT better than i can. Here's a little bit that's on the page about the book of mormon, i think it will explain to you what you are wondering. As far as us being Christian... I believe a Christian is someone who believes in Christ and follows his teachings, which we do! The name of our church is the church of JESUS CHRIST.

From the website: https://mormon.org/book-of-mormon

The Book of Mormon is the word of God, like the Bible. It is Holy Scripture, with form and content similar to that of the Bible. Both books contain God's guidance as revealed to prophets as well as religious histories of different civilizations. While the Bible is written by and about the people in the land of Israel and surrounding areas, and takes place from the creation of the world until shortly after the death of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon contains the history and God’s dealings with the people who lived in the Americas between approximately 600 BC and 400 AD. The prophets in the Book of Mormon recorded God's dealings with His people, which were compiled by a prophet named Mormon onto gold plates.

Before these faithful Christians perished, their record was safely hidden away. Joseph Smith obtained these ancient records in 1827, and with the gift and power of God Joseph was able to translate the ancient writings into what we have today. The Book of Mormon, along with the Bible, testifies that Jesus Christ is our divine Redeemer and that by living according to His gospel we can find peace in this life and eternal happiness in the life to come.

i don't see the BOok of Mormon as replacing the Bible, instead it is a companion that we study right along side. The teachings in the two books are very similar. The book of mormon is simply Christ's teachings to America.

And as far as the temples go, you can't just be mormon and go into a temple. You have to be living your life in accordance with the church and receive a temple recommend (done through an interview with your bishop). We believe that our temples are the house of God, and so we treat them with the greatest respect - The ordinances done within the temple walls are extremely sacred to us and out of respect for those ordinances, only worthy members are allowed to enter.
Here is another website that might help, https://mormon.org/faq/topic/temples/question/purpose-of-temples

I hope i didn't offend you by referring you to the website - i just believe that answers coming straight from the church would be better than anything i could say. Please let me know if that helps... or doesn't ... or raises more questions.

Hey Guppy,

Luz had a great explantion.

We believe that the scripture in the Book of Revelation is simply referring to that book (Revelation). So, don't add on to that 'book.' And anyways, when that was being written, who knew that Revelations would be placed last anyways? It only came later that we assembled the Bible the way we as Christians did. A lot of stuff has been missing or was taken out, historically.

And about temples, yeah , it's even only a small part of the Mormon population that actually gets to go to sealings (wedding ceremonies). You have to go to your Bishop and answer a ton of questions about your worthiness and you have to living a super righteous life. It's always the goal. I'm a faithful, active believing LDS member but I haven't always/am not always 'temple worthy.'

Hope that helps!

Hi, what does LDS stand for?

What is a mormon's core belief?

Hi Haffy!

LDS stands for Latter Day Saints. The official title of the church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

'Mormon' is a nickname correlated with our belief in the Book of Mormon as a book of scripture.

Our basic beliefs are close to traditional Christian beliefs with a few differences.

So, we believe Jesus was the Son of God. We believe in the Bible, we believe in the holy trinity, we believe in baptism (by immersion).

Some things that may make us different- we believe that all souls exist before birth and live in a premortal existence. When we are born we come get bodies to be tried and tested on earth before returning back to Heaven and God.

We believe there are different levels of heaven - 'many mansions.' So, even those who weren't born Christian or Mormon go to heaven. I think that's a wonderful part of the LDS church.

We believe marriages are for eternity, not just til death do you part, we believe that Jesus Christ appeared to the American continent after his resurrection and that's what inspired the Book of Mormon.

In more formal terms- here are the official Articles of Faith- a creed:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

HOpe that helps. :)

Hi :wave:

One thing that has always confused me is the thing about Joseph smith? Who was he? What did he do? etc x

:wave:

Joseph Smith founded the church in the 1800s.

To make a very long story short,

He was 14 years old living in New York and there was a religious revival going on. He went into a grove of trees to pray about which church to join and he had a vision to join none of them, that he was to bring back the 'old church' from Christ's time.

Because after Christ died, His church fell away and as history has shown the Christian church is now full of different sects.

Mormons believe that God chose the "latter days" to bring BACK the old church, run the way Christ ran it- with apostles, temples, etc.

So Mormons believe Josesph Smith was a prophet of God chosen to bring back the church. He had visions and organized and it he was given access to the golden plates, where he translated The Book of Mormon.

It was a great struggle - the early Mormons found a lot of success with eachother and formed good communities, but others didn't like it and saw it as as a threat. So, they were often run out by mobs and their communities destroyed.

Joseph Smith was ultimately captured by a mob and killed.

The church thrived, though, even though everyone (the pioneers) had to trek from the middle of the US out west to Utah to find a land where they could build the church in peace.

Now there are 14 million Mormons worldwide, and over half of the members are outside the USA (although Utah is still mostly a Mormon state).

That's the quickest history lesson I can think of haha

I don't know much about Mormons, but do you believe in Polygamy? I do realize that most of what is out there on Polygamy is all media-hyped etc. Why are there sects that believe in it and others that don't?

And can it go both ways? Could a woman have more than one husband? :flower:

I'm genuinely curious, and have tried to look up stuff on the Internet but all I find are sensationalist articles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->