Asthma, allergies and eczema

Amour

Reaction score
I could just cry right now.

I had a c section 6 months ago due to failure to progress after a natural labour for nearly 24 hours and was only just now beginning to come to terms with it.

Recently my DD has developed abit of eczema and has a suspected cows milk protein intolerance which was very surprising to us as no one in the family suffers from any of these types of issues.

I've done some research and it seems babies born by c section are at increased risk of these types of issues due to good bacteria not passing to baby whilst entering through the birth canal.

I am so dissapointed, and feel again like I have failed my DD, I know people say there is too much pressure put on women etc but I can't shake this disappointment especially as it could even affect her long term health and wellness.

I wanted to see whether this theory proves true on this board. Anyone or their babies suffer from the above issues and born via c section or perhaps not?

I'm going to look into a probiotic for my DD, any recommends as yoghurt is out the question as she may be intolerant to cows milk protein.

I'm going to do a poll if yourself or DC is a the first in family to develop one of the conditions (ie it's not hereditary) can you added to the poll and advise whether the birth was natural (vaginally) or c section?

Thanks in advance, it's appreciated

My daughter had eczema and food sensitivities when she was younger and she was born vaginally. She's since outgrown her sensitivities and her skin is clear 95% of the time.

All of the conditions you listed are common in young babies regardless of how they exited the uterus so there's no need to beat yourself up about this. Even if having a C-section did somehow contribute to your daughter's issues (which seems unlikely TBH), the majority of kids outgrow CMPI and eczema within the first couple years so it doesn't really matter in the long-run.

jonathan had a cow milk protien allergy that he did evenually grow out of but we had to have him on this really expensive formula. He had rsv twice already and had to be on oxygen twice. He has to have breathing treatments with every cold so he doesnt end up in the hospital again. And he gets eczema too. So you can check me for all three. He was a vaginal delivery. Dont feel bad sometimes these things happen and we dont know why. You havnt let your dd down. She is still perfectly healthy. none of these issues should affect her tons (alittle of course) but it could be worse. Maybe she will grow out of the milk allergy. The docs say that jonathan will either out grow these signs of athsma or they could be true first signs (he is still to young to test) and with good lotion the eczema shouldnt be a prob xx

My daughter had eczema and food sensitivities when she was younger and she was born vaginally. She's since outgrown her sensitivities and her skin is clear 95% of the time.

All of the conditions you listed are common in young babies regardless of how they exited the uterus so there's no need to beat yourself up about this. Even if having a C-section did somehow contribute to your daughter's issues (which seems unlikely TBH), the majority of kids outgrow CMPI and eczema within the first couple years so it doesn't really matter in the long-run.

Thanks for this!

jonathan had a cow milk protien allergy that he did evenually grow out of but we had to have him on this really expensive formula. He had rsv twice already and had to be on oxygen twice. He has to have breathing treatments with every cold so he doesnt end up in the hospital again. And he gets eczema too. So you can check me for all three. He was a vaginal delivery. Dont feel bad sometimes these things happen and we dont know why. You havnt let your dd down. She is still perfectly healthy. none of these issues should affect her tons (alittle of course) but it could be worse. Maybe she will grow out of the milk allergy. The docs say that jonathan will either out grow these signs of athsma or they could be true first signs (he is still to young to test) and with good lotion the eczema shouldnt be a prob xx

Thanks for this!

Hugs to you and Jonathan :flower:

You are right it could be worse. There's just be little things along the way where I feel I could / should have done better for her and that really gets to me as in my heart I just want to give her the best I can.

I'm praying Jonathan outgrows his breathing difficulties.

Thanks again ladies, I say it all the time but I love this forum; such a valuable resource.

Thanks for this!

Thanks for this!

Hugs to you and Jonathan :flower:

You are right it could be worse. There's just be little things along the way where I feel I could / should have done better for her and that really gets to me as in my heart I just want to give her the best I can.

I'm praying Jonathan outgrows his breathing difficulties.

Thanks again ladies, I say it all the time but I love this forum; such a valuable resource.

Thank you! I feel he will he has no problems running and keeping up with his big sister and cousin. Even when he is sick. I think he just got this rsv really young that is causing the breathing issues. I read it can be outgrown. Again thank you. But even how it sounds in the post it really isnt a big deal. People tell me all the time. Oh it must suck having to give a breathing treatment every time he is sick or developes a cough. I just tell them no not at all because 1 he is rarly sick or has a caugh. and 2 i would prefer to do some breathing treatments then watching him suffer in the hospital for low oxygen again. That is what is heart breaking not giving him these treatment.

I know how you feel. I blamed myself alot when jonathan first started having all these problem. My Dh would tell me why what is wrong with him. Natalia (dd1) never had any of these problems. That even made me feel worse that my dh was mentioning something. I always had to say that natalia is not jonathan they are two different people. When i was pregnant with jonathan i was very careful. Did everything right that you should do when pregnant that i didnt do so much when pg with dd1. So i felt soo guilty for again the longest time. But when he was about 1 i relized i did my best i did everything i could. Sometimes these things happen. I told myself why am i complaining when it could be so much worse. I told my dh this and everyone who would ask me why. Never again does anyone (family) mention anything again. Anyone else just sees him as a kid without any problems.

So again please dont blame yourself. You did everything you could have. None of us are perfect. But we try our best. That is plenty enough :hugs:

There are so many factors that contribute to these VERY common things, please don't feel like anything you did is the cause.

Both my children were c-sections (emergency and then elective). Thomas was as healthy as anything until recently where he developed some very small patches of mild, non-itchy exzema on his legs. Which a doctor told us was ringworm...that's a whole other story. And 2 days ago he started getting a rash on his cheeks that may or may not be some mild eczema.

I was born by emergency c-section myself and have seasonal allergies, which could have been for any reason. Hey...even the use of margarine and vegetable oils is now cited as a cause for rising allergy and skin issue rates.

You haven't let your baby down. Your baby is safe, alive and happy. Her mother is also safe, alive and happy.

Believe me, I know the c-section grief is powerful. In all honesty I am still extremely upset about the 2 I had.

:hugs: We women have to find something to beat ourselves up about, don't we! My daughter was born vaginally and she has both asthma and eczema. For a long time I blamed both of these things on me not being able to grow babies properly (Eva was an IUGR baby and was only 5lbs at birth), and me failing at breastfeeding. But I changed my mind when my son was born. He was a healthy 8 1/2 lbs despite me not doing anything differently during my pregnancy, and I didn't breastfeed him either (I decided I wasn't going to put myself or my family through it again because it affected me so badly mentally the last time) and he is as strong as an Ox. I realise now that Asthma and eczema were just things Eva was going to get and not something I did or didn't do.

What I'm trying to say is try your best to forgive yourself (I say try because I know it isn't easy to do), and focus your energies on being the best mummy you can be because you can't change what's been and gone. Your LO is just the way she was meant to be! :hugs:

My LO was born via forceps (although it was very nearly a caesarean - she had heartbeat decelerations and my contractions started to ease off). You had a caesarean as that was the best thing for your baby so please don't feel upset over doing something that was best given the circumstances. My LO has just been diagnosed with CMPI and I still need to do loads of research on things but one thing I have come across so far is 'wot no dairy' yoghurts which are available from Amazon and have calcium in (from pea protein) but no dairy. I haven't tried them yet but plan to as lots of people have said they are good - especially due to the calcium content.

I had a natural birth altho lo was back to back and got stuck and was getting distressed so they took me to theatre gave me an epidural, cut me and turned him then i pushed him out but id still say it was natural but:

He has severe eczema (its a lot better now we've seen a dermatologist) and a cows milk protein allergy and is on neocate! He also catches every cold and has had an ear infection, a
hand foot and mouth disease and a viral infection all in his short life already!! Hes had anti biotics 3 times already!

I think hes just a sicky sort of boy im hoping he grows out of it!

Dont feel bad you couldnt help how your birth turned out! I wish mine was better too but we cant plan how it goes.

I dont believe that the sort of birth you have has anything to do with if your baby is just the sort of baby who will get sick or have eczema or allergies its just how your baby is! Im quite a sicky person too i catch everything and it doesnt take much for me to feel sick or vomit! Its just me and thats just my lo too! I dont feel bad about that and you shouldnt either! :)

xxxx

Also i have a recipe for yogurt that you make with the dairy free milk. My dietitian gave us a book of recipes for nutramigen altho lo is on neocate i think its probably the same.

Lo didnt actually like it but im going to try again with fruit! :)

Thanks ladies!! All your words are like hugs through the computer lol and is appreciated.

My LO was born via forceps (although it was very nearly a caesarean - she had heartbeat decelerations and my contractions started to ease off). You had a caesarean as that was the best thing for your baby so please don't feel upset over doing something that was best given the circumstances. My LO has just been diagnosed with CMPI and I still need to do loads of research on things but one thing I have come across so far is 'wot no dairy' yoghurts which are available from Amazon and have calcium in (from pea protein) but no dairy. I haven't tried them yet but plan to as lots of people have said they are good - especially due to the calcium content.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'm going to check them out now.

Hey, you really shouldn't blame yourself for these kind of things!

It may help to know that my son was born vaginally after being induced, he was ebf and still is breastfeeding at 21 months!

My son has cows milk allergy a severe case, we've literally just been discharged from hospital for viral induced wheeze, this is the 6th or 7th time his gone in for the same thing where he requires inhaler every hour and nebuliser. We went in Wednesday night and just come out! He ends up in hospital almost every time he catches a cold, doctors are now prescribing him a medication to help prevent it the next time he is unwell. They won't diagnose him just yet with asthma as he could outgrow it so we just have to wait and see.

Its also said that breastfeeding strengthens immune system and breastfeed babies are unlikely to have cows milk allergy but obviously this wasn't the case for us, my LO is also an extremely fussy child and quite difficult in general.

I have read about that c section thing and how it increases the likely hood of allergies, I really wouldn't believe that.

From my situation you see it can happen to anyone no matter what type of delivery they had xx

I think these conditions and why they're rising are basically a mystery at the moment. The baby I've known most affected by all three was born vaginally with no pain relief and there is no family history of allergies, eczema or asthma.
Autoimmune disorders and imbalances can be very very complex. There are so many toxins in our daily lives now, from pollution to food to beauty and health products we use. It sometimes seems almost impossible to narrow these things down to a definite cause.
It does seem that many children grow out of these conditions. I've also heard of pretty impressive recoveries using diet changes. Might be something to consider as your baby grows!

Hey, you really shouldn't blame yourself for these kind of things!

It may help to know that my son was born vaginally after being induced, he was ebf and still is breastfeeding at 21 months!

My son has cows milk allergy a severe case, we've literally just been discharged from hospital for viral induced wheeze, this is the 6th or 7th time his gone in for the same thing where he requires inhaler every hour and nebuliser. We went in Wednesday night and just come out! He ends up in hospital almost every time he catches a cold, doctors are now prescribing him a medication to help prevent it the next time he is unwell. They won't diagnose him just yet with asthma as he could outgrow it so we just have to wait and see.

Its also said that breastfeeding strengthens immune system and breastfeed babies are unlikely to have cows milk allergy but obviously this wasn't the case for us, my LO is also an extremely fussy child and quite difficult in general.

I have read about that c section thing and how it increases the likely hood of allergies, I really wouldn't believe that.

From my situation you see it can happen to anyone no matter what type of delivery they had xx

Thanks for this. Thoughts to you and your family, hope your son grows out of the conditions, yay to 21 months of breastfeeding!

I think these conditions and why they're rising are basically a mystery at the moment. The baby I've known most affected by all three was born vaginally with no pain relief and there is no family history of allergies, eczema or asthma.
Autoimmune disorders and imbalances can be very very complex. There are so many toxins in our daily lives now, from pollution to food to beauty and health products we use. It sometimes seems almost impossible to narrow these things down to a definite cause.
It does seem that many children grow out of these conditions. I've also heard of pretty impressive recoveries using diet changes. Might be something to consider as your baby grows!

Thanks for this, and actually this and a collection of things has made me research and look into my diet a lot more, I will be starting DD who had just started solids on organic fruits, vegs and meats and I'm trying to wean myself onto it also.

Thanks again everyone :flower:

My son has asthma, skin allergies (sensitive skin) and eczema at times. Vaginal delivery.

My daughter seems to have THE most sensitive skin of anyone I've ever known. c-section

I don't think it matters how they enter the world, what will be will be. The only thing I know another family member has is asthma but where the sensitive skin comes in at :shrug: who knows??? But I had a time trying to find something to wash and moisturize daughter, son was easier in that category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->