At what age does a baby become a toddler?

I_AM_LIVID

Mum to 1Angel & b/g twins
Reaction score
I’ve been scratching my head on this issue and after extensive googling find myself even more confused.

According to Dictionary.com, a baby is an infant or young child. But here is where it gets a little more confusing. According to the same website, a toddler is a young child learning to walk, while another definition states that a toddler is a young child, usually one between the ages of one and two and a half.

Now what if your baby is like my little cousin who was already walking at 9 months? Is he then considered a baby or a toddler? I had this discussion with a colleague who responded that a toddler is one that walks and talks. But what if your LO develops late and still isn’t talking well past the age of 2 but can walk? Another colleague said it is when they are out of nappies. Well, it's a well known fact that lots of babies especially in Africa are potty trained very early (in some instances training starts from 3 months). A 3-month-old can't really be considered a toddler, can they? :shrug:

River started walking at 9 months so i guess she was a toddler because she was toddling.

After a year i would say personality wise she was a toddler as she had a little sense of humpour and cheek about her

My son walked at 10 months so I called him a toddler from then as he could 'toddle'.

I put a year as that is when I thought they were classed as toddlers! I have absolutely no idea why though!!
xxx

I was wondering this as Brian is now over a year but still not walking

It is a tough one, I must admit. But teh general opinion so far is that a baby is a toddler after a year.... hmmmm, I dunno.

I think a baby is technically a toddler when they can walk but it's typically applied to 1-3 year olds. Most baby's start walking right around a year anyway (maybe a little less or a little more).

I would say once they start walking (or toddling)

I put from about a year as well, just from how my LO acted around that age. She is more of a baby-toddler then as opposed to a 2/3yr old toddler but still more than a baby. Just from her persoanlity, communication etc . .

I always thought it was one year old... or there abouts depending on when they start 'toddling' or walking about, but obviously lots and most of babies start later than around a year.. I put one anyway! lol x

I put when they start walking and talking.. but more the walking. I asked my parents what they thought a toddler was and they said, "it's when they start to toddle" hahaha!

Never! Mine will always be my little baby! LOL.
Seriously I put two, I think its because my little one is almost one now and I still consider her a baby! But I suppose when they can talk and communicate better then they are a toddler.

They're a toddler when they can toddle. The talking is just an added bonus!

I don't know why but I always think of 2 and 3 yr olds as toddlers :coffee:

I would consider it around 1. Now that mine is 10 months, I see him as a toddler and not a baby anymore. It's such a huge difference.

I put 1, but I consider it when they are walking (toddling) well or 1, whichever comes first.

A few months ago, I would've said 12 months. But now my baby is close to being 12 months, I've changed my mind, now she will be a toddler at about 3. She isn't allowed to grow up!:haha:

When they can toddle, and I do think cruising is included in that.
Eleanor doesn't walk yet, but she can get around just fine by walking when holding on to furniture or pushing toys along.

I'd say she's been a toddler since about 10 months old, as that's when you noticed a real change in her. She became cheeky, with her own personality - toddler to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->