Atkins/low carb support thread.

weewdy

Reaction score
The last time i was on the atkins diets i lost 3 1/2 stone, i still was a size 14/16 but i was happy. It was hard work but i achieved it in around 6 months.i then maintained the weight for around 7months before i fell pregnant. My dd is my world unfortunately whilst pregnant i had to resume a normally diet and i let things get out of hand and i put on two stone. Now my dd is 8months old and i am determined to lose it again because we want to ttc number 2 and i know it would be better for me and baby if i lost the weight. So i started on monday on my induction and im finding it ok so far but i know i will hit a wall at some point and was looking for anyone else doing low carb to help me through it, share the weight loss/gain, recipes and the good/bad times.

Good luck Honey! I'm doing more low-calorie than low carb, but I have cut down on my carbs a lot. So has my OH although he's not dieting, its because of his diabetes. :) Good luck! It can get very hard to keep eating fish, meat, eggs and vegetables, haha. But its rewarding. x

I tried Atkins before lost roughly 40 lbs. I would love to try it again, but I can't get motivated enough to do. Plus I would need new food ideas cause eating the same foods you can get burnt out real quick eating the same things....ya know

I tried Atkins before lost roughly 40 lbs. I would love to try it again, but I can't get motivated enough to do. Plus I would need new food ideas cause eating the same foods you can get burnt out real quick eating the same things....ya know

Yes i know. If you fancy doing it again add me on my fitness pal and we can motivate each other. My username is the same as here.

i'm doing the dukan diet...started end of oct, lost 2st 1lb by 23rd dec, stopped for xmas/new year and gained 13lbs :( restarted 4th jan, lost that plus 2 more pounds!! yeah!! hehe!!

my story seems very similar to yours, weewdy, as i also did the dukan diet and lost about 40 lbs in 2011 before falling pregnant, and going back to normal eating for pregnancy, and gaining 2 stone!!

i've got pcos so it's pretty much the only way i'll lose weight just now, as my symptoms are more significant with the weight i am...still have 3 1/2 stone to put me in healthy bme :( but i'm gonna do it cos i want another baby too!!! xx

I'm doing a low carb diet but not Atkins. I don't eat meat so I'm doing my own thing with fish & vegetarian protein sources. I suppose I'm technically doing low carb-adequate protein :haha: rather than high protein like the Atkins.

I'm finding it waaaay easier than I ever thought I would. I enjoy cooking so adapting recipes to be low carb is a fun challenge!

I guess you can say I'm following Atkins. I'm definately following an Atkins like diet. Since January 14th I have given up bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, sugar and flours. I feel great. I forgot what it was like to feel normal. I suffer a lot of the symptoms from being low thyroid and pcos. Low carb eliminates those symptoms. It is the only way I have found for me to have a baby. I would love to have a few weight loss buddies. I have a goal weight of 145 lbs. That is what I weighed before getting pregnant with each of my boys. That seems to be the magic number. Currently I weigh 180 lbs.

can I join? I put on about 4St since having my youngest! We been trying to conceive for over a year! I really need to do something about my weight! I was tested for pcos but it came back negative
I'm a veggie also xx
would really love people to share recipes with!!!

Also can someone take a look at what I ate yesterday and tell me if I'm on the right track?

breakfast: 1slice brown toast with peanut butter (no butter)
a slice of honeydew melon and plain yoghurt

lunch: omelette made with 2eggs and a dash of milk, 2 quorn sausages

dinner: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, quorn fillet, honey and mustard dressing
home made broccoli soup (broccoli, onion, garlic, veg stock)

when I put it into my fitness pal it came up that I had eaten mostly carbs!!??
have I eaten totally wrong?

Quorn sausages have 4-5g of carbs each, the fillets have 6 ish. Brown bread can have around 20g of carbs! X

If you're going for low carb, yes Hun.

A good breakfast is an egg white omelette, you can always add some ham or cheese for flavour and season it. Make sure you check the calorie limit and weigh it out, but it's all low carb.

All meats are pretty good, I.e chicken.. So maybe a chicken salad for a lunch? But be careful, sauces are high in sugar and therefore carbs.

A good dinner is.. A grilled tuna steak, with cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots/asparagus.

Pretty much meat and veg are your options, with cheese and other pieces for flavour and variety :) x

Eggs are brilliant for breakfast. I did used to have scrambled egg whites and weight watchers bacon sometimes.

Edit: another good lunch, stuffed pepper - stuff it with browned turkey mince, mixed with onion, garlic and chopped cherry tomatoes. (Not many tomatoes, they have traces of carbs), then pop it in the oven for 25 minutes. Yum. Prawn cocktail is brilliant, just limit the sauce. Same with tuna mayo on lettuce leaves. Salads are also brilliant with boiled eggs, tuna mayo, chicken, ham, cheeses.. You get the drift :D. X

What was your calorie amount for the day? It all seems very healthy and you should loose weight eating that anyway, despite it not being low carb. X

Hi ladies, I'm loosing weight before my IVf treatment in May. I started just after Christmas. I eat Some veggies, I have protein shakes and protein soups (Unjury is the best and they have low carb protein cheese too). When you're on a ketogenic diet it's far better to have fats than sugar and carbs because they slow your fat burn (as strange as that pounds). I've done this type of diet before my wedding in 2007 with a bariatric clinic that had the best record in the city for ppl achieving their goals. Went from a BMI of 28 down to 24 without too much hunger and pain. If you would like to know how efficiently you're doing in the ketogenic state there are poas tabs at the pharmacy that light up from neutral to deep purple (purplish when your body is burning its own fat).
KETOSTIX.jpg

I'm a little picky though when I'm in this diet. If you're too extreme you can have hair thinning after 4 weeks so you need to take a good multi vitamin, omega oil supplements and if you're exercising lots, potassium pill or drink coconut water to stave off muscle cramps. I always eat the egg yolks because that's where the omegas & nutrition is. Fats don't slow this process, sugar and carbs do. If you use fitday.com and plug in your food (if you'd like to know your general nutrition quality, it'll tell you what you're lacking in mineral & vitamin content.
It's by far the easiest way to lose weight (and for me the fastest), I don't get the craving I normally do with carby diets and I always always feel satiated with protein. I hope the weight slips off your hips!!:flower:

I’ve tried the ketostix. They are a great tool to figure out if you are burning fat. I’ve been thinking about buying some.

For breakfast I had scrambled eggs and a pork chop.

Lunch was a salad with iceburg lettuce, baby spinach, ¼ a tomato, feta cheese, sliced black olives, and a mayo dressing.

Dinner was a beef roast that I slow cooked with sliced celery, onions, and carrots.

I enjoyed each meal so much. I have lost 10 lbs. since January 14th. I have 32 lbs. to go.

You guys ever hear of waldon's farm products (0 calorie peanut butter, salad dressing etc)
I like miracle noodles too:happydance:

0 calorie peanut butter?!? are you kidding? What is it made out of?

I have heard of miracle noodles, but I don't think they sell them around here.

0 calorie peanut butter?!? are you kidding? What is it made out of?

I have heard of miracle noodles, but I don't think they sell them around here.

I think it's the same stuff as the miracle noodles. I like the mayo, chocolate dip, asian dressing (use it for stirfrys), ranch veg dip, all of the salad dressings, and maple syrup on my protein pancakes. I like the peanut butter too but this one is a hit and miss, you either like it or you don't. There aren't carbs in their products either so they work well with my diet.

I haven't cheated. I haven't wanted to cheat. My husband is low carb too, so that helps. He's wanting to lose another 13 lbs but it coming off slow for him. He's been working out really hard (2x a day) doing weights and cardio. I have been walking the track at the gym. My workout buddy has been awol lately.

hey ladies! This is my first venture into other parts of the site that aren't baby related! I'm doing low carb and so far it's great! Today i've only had 39 carbs! I'm still learning how to get really low, i'm usually in the 70's! I want to lose about 20lbs before my wedding in september, but this isn't just a fad. I want say low carb!

Hi Can'thardlywait, welcome =D
Sweetmel, I was reading on a weightloss blog that when you're also working out it might take a little longer for the scale to move because you're also building muscle. But according to bariatric doctors it does come of faster that regular dieting in the long run and you're less likely to stall because you're boosting your metabolism.
I read up on this because I'm there right now. I've been doing weights and LOADS of cardio (4 days/week + 2 ski days between Fri-sun) and the scale has been stuck for over 5 days. I'm only eating a max of 700 calories/day. Pretty extreme but I've been measuring body fat and I'm down 4% since Jan 19th and feel really good. Tired, but feeling good. I have to get this weight off for IVF in april, when you have extra fat on your body you're less likely to respond to hormone treatments (like the stims for eggie development).

What's on everyone's plate tonight? I've got some fish in the oven, can't wait for dinner, I'm hungry! It feels good to be hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->