August Bumps - Youngest in class

ClaraCluck

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

My bump is due early August so will be one of the youngest in class when he/she starts school. Is anyone else concerned about their little one being the baby of the class?

x

I'm not concerned by it but i think when they get older it will be a bit of a pain. When it comes to going out to the pub all their mates will be 16 and ours will be 15 and will still want to go out with their friends.

I'm not overly concerned just because I, myself, was a year behind everyone in my class. I don't feel like it affected me much. I was the youngest in my class my entire life but I never had problems keeping up with anything. But I think it all depends on the maturity level of the child. I wouldn't worry too much though! :hugs::hugs:

I'm in two minds about it really: One one hand, I like the idea of my child being challenged and stretched mentally for a child his age: I hope that it will mean that he reaches certain milestones nice and early compared to other children his age (i.e. the September babies, for example). But then again, I don't want him to feel like the "odd one out", so I'm hoping to be able to help him at home if he struggles with it or anything. I'm not sure about as he gets older: I think those sorts of things will work themselves out and not mean so much to him in the long run.
We've had a big old chat about this is the August Mummies' Club; any August Mummies who are interested in joining us there please feel free to do so any time! :D

Shadow xx

Thanks ladies, just wondered how other people felt about it. Obviously we all want to give our little ones the best start possible, but on the other hand I don't want to turn into a pushy Mum trying too hard to compensate for the difference in age! I think there are advantages and disadvantages to starting school younger. As long as baby is healthy and happy, I'm happy!

Mine is due 2nd August- and I have wondered how it will affect him/her - I was one of the eldest in my class and you could definately tell which kids were the youngest. I am hoping that teaching styles have moved on a bit since I was at school and younger children in class are more accomodated for than when I was at school

As a teacher with a LO due in August (got the dates wrong for the summer hols lol!) I can say that there is some correlation between exam results and age in the year...BUT!

There are many, many more factors than this which you can easily overcome in many ways. Growing up in a household where books are read/the news watched/issues talked about over the dinner table etc i.e. a household where kids are encouraged to be interested in the world, have their own opinions and know how to find out the things they want to know - is a crucial factor in producing students who want to learn and who are responsive to it.

One issue which is hard to overcome is the maturity of boys - they may well be expected to 'act their age' when they find it hard to - though I think this applies to boys of all ages through school, if it is going to apply at all. Some of the most mature, intelligent and thoughtful students are those who are boys born in July and August!

my sons bday is 2nd august and this 1 is due 3rd u could really tell when my son 1st started school he is 4 now but thow the school yr hes come on leaps and bonds still really shy but u wouldnt think he is only 4 and almost every 1 else is 5

Is it everywhere in the UK that August kids are the youngest in the class? Here the December kids are the youngest. We were going to hold off trying until April if I didn't get my BFP in November.

Is it everywhere in the UK that August kids are the youngest in the class? Here the December kids are the youngest. We were going to hold off trying until April if I didn't get my BFP in November.

I think it's Feb or March in Scotland but August everywhere else

I hadn't even though of this! But having looked at it now, my next door neighbours baby girl is 7 months old, she's saying certain words, crawling, standing and walking round furnature - she will be in the same class as my baby girl who isn't even due for 16 weeks! That is quite scary to me x x x

I'm due the end of August but expecting or rather hoping to go early just cos I don't want to go overdue. But then when I think about he/she being the youngest in the class I think it might be worth it to hold out for a few days. We'll see what nature decides.
Do they have to start school at 4 or can we hold them back till they reach 5?

i didnt even realise this!!! my birthday is the very end of July....the 31st so i was one of the youngest and it never effected me......i didnt even think about this till u mentioned it!

I'm due the end of August but expecting or rather hoping to go early just cos I don't want to go overdue. But then when I think about he/she being the youngest in the class I think it might be worth it to hold out for a few days. We'll see what nature decides.
Do they have to start school at 4 or can we hold them back till they reach 5?

I think you can hold them back til they are actually 5, but not sure how it works and wonder if it would be a disadvantage for them to join a group that have already been together for a few months

I'm sure it won't be an issue, just thought about it yesterday and wondered what experience other people thought. My neice and nephew were born in Nov and Dec and they will be in the same year as our little one who isn't due for 15 weeks which seems really weird!

I was the youngest in my class & really it never bothered me as i was always off school for my birthday.

Like people always say i was evil having my daughter near xmas.. she came early! Plus i find it easier getting xmas & her birthday out of the way.

No chance on mine even being overdue and being in september :( its no biggy but if i could choose i'd prefer ym child to be eldest rather then one of the youngest. xx

the other day some inconsiderate cow said to me 'oo i feel sorry for you having an august baby, its the worst time to have a baby cus they will really struggle at school' i could of punched her for saying that its got me paranoid,
i was a september baby and top of the class but OH is end of july and so was he so i dunno dont think it will make much of a difference, i think its more about how your bringing them up than when they are born tbh xx

I'm not worried about it, my other two are the oldest in class so makes a change lol! xx

mine is due 9th august and I wondered this but dont quite know how it all works really.
Remember babies could be 2-3 weeks late.. then get in on the 1st Sept! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"