'Aunty'

Nibblenic

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i was just wondering,

I have 2 best friends, greatest people in the universe. One ive been friends with since i was 11, and have lived with at various points in our lives, and been through everything together. The other i have known since uni, we moved to the same village, and do anythign for eachother. She has 2 children already, who are my God children and I am to them callled Aunty nic.

When i was young i had people in my life, who i called Aunty, who I wasnt related to, the 2 next door neighbours and my mums best friend. These represented to me and i resume my mum people who could be trusted 'extra' as it were. We dnt have a paticually big family i am an only child and most of the people in our family have only 1/2 other siblings, which going back 50-90 years is quite uncommon, for a north east family.
I personally am an only child with 2 uncles and no cousins.

HOW EVER (getting to the point)

OH has 8 'Real' aunties and uncles, more cousins than i can count, let alone extended family. And his brother has taken offence to some one who isnt related getting 'a title they do not deserve' and MIL thinks its VERY odd to be giving family name to people who arent related! :hissy::hissy:
Personally i dont care, and Autny becky and Aunty sam with be being called that no matter what. and OH agrees.

But i was just wondering if you were planning to have someone called 'aunty/uncle' who isnt your sibling, or whether it really is unusual.

My DD (who is now 13) has 1 real Aunty, but one of my best friends who she has known since birth is also called Aunty. She will be the known as that to Caidan as well, as will my other best friend.
The reason I do it is that they are/will be as much a part of my childrens lives as their real Auntys and it distinguishes them as 'important' people in their lives that they can trust.

xxx

Me and hubby have both got large extended families, both with 'blood auntys' and the type you describe. We both only have one sibling each so our LO will only have 2 'real' auntys and uncles but I know he or she will have other people called aunty / uncle too. I think its just a way of showing that you have a special bond with that person and you wish your child to continue that. And being 'aunty' to some of my friends kids also is really special.

I'm interested in what others have to say as I live in the north east also and I always presumed it was a local thing to call non family members that. (Showing my ignorance there sorry people)

Sorry I posted twice there.. dunno how!

Where in the north east are you hunny. Im in Stanley, but my family lives in the bottom of northumberland and OH family are from south shields

I live not far from south shields myself.. having baby in shields hosp, where u planning to have urs?

Im going into Durham, closest and easist for OH and work.
However OH did joke for a while about having her at south tynside so she could be a 'sand dancer' like him :D

Nothing wrong with being a sand dancer tell him! Mind you I wouldn't like to get down from stanley to shields in a hurry...!

ive got honourary aunties and uncles
for emily ....

who are mine and the ohs best friends
they deserves titles if you ask me
they've all been around for donkeys years
my besties been with me for 15 years lol
nothing wrong with it if you ask me
bubbies gonna know the real and
honourary ones when they get older
so ...

and plus ive got aunties that aren't
related they're family friends!!

xxx​

Everyone at the FD that we're on is Auntie and Uncle to everyone else's kids..and none of us are related. I think it's more like a respect thing instead of calling them by their first names alone.

My close friends are Aunty and Uncle to my kids. Especially as I have only 1 brother and my OH is an only child so it kind of extends the family for them so to speak x

My best friend is "Aunty Darci" she is not my sister, but actually a very distant cousin (we worked it out one day lol we are cousins by 2 adoptions and a marriage lmao) Anyway, she will always be aunt darci to Alexa, no one thinks it is weird, just because she is not my sister, does not mean she is not considered important to Alexa lol it's not my fault she isn't my sister! Sisters by choice, not blood!

I think only the parent of the child involved has the right to say a friend 'deserves to have a family name'.....the OP's OH's brother should butt out!!

It's not weird, it's a nice thing to do.....and I also think that in some cases certain blood relations are so awful that they are the ones that do not deserve the pleasure of being Aunty or Uncle!!!

Our wee man will have 2 real uncles (my bro & H's bro) and will also have 2 real aunties (my sis and my BIL's fiancee). However, I have 2 very close friends (well we used to be) and I am in two minds still about referring to them as aunties. One of my friends has children already and I do not believe I am referred to as aunty C. This friend however, has been saying she is excited about meeting her nephew etc, I've not really spoken to H about this, but I get the feeling he wouldn't want her to be referred to as Aunty as he doesn't like her that much (long story!)

If you want your friends to be called aunty then go for it, none of your OH's family's business really!

Cx

I still call my Mum's 2 nest friends Auntie and i'm 33!! I agree with the previous poster who said its a respect thing, rather than calling my friends just by their first names ... baby will have some 'honourary' Aunties :)

Thanks girl, glad to know its not a 'me being weird' thing.

And tbh i totally agree, its an honary title that asumes trust, and tbh BIL has taken less interest in LO that either of the honary auntys, but that just seems to be OH family style and MIL has taken less interest than these two people too.

And id imagine LO will see more of her 'aunties' be a country mile than that of BIL who tbh it a bit self obessed! (another story) and lives in a different part of the country

:hugs:

I live not far from south shields myself.. having baby in shields hosp, where u planning to have urs?

Hey Kiree, I'm having bubs in South Shields hospital too - might see you there, lol.

Incidentally, I don't call any of my real aunty's "auntie" even though I'm really close to my mam's sister, we have never called her "auntie", not sure why??

I'm called auntie by my friend's 3 kids but not by my sister's?? We really are strange aren't we! Never thought about it before though :rofl:

Hi angiebaby- just might see you there. Just got back from my tour of the place this morning. Really nice! X

My mum had a best friend who she knew forever. Me and my other brothers and sisters still refer to her as Aunty Jo. Always have done. Its yours and OH choice as to weather you want youre child to call them Aunty or not, If thats what you want go for it x

i have one auntie who i snot my real auntie, although she is my god mother, and is also much older then my parents, so i guess was more of a grandparent figure than an auntie, but like you say i think it was a respect/trust thing as she helped my mum out a lot when i was little. that said i do have a lot of real aunts and uncles as both my parents are 1 of 5.

a lot of our friends think they are going to be aunties and uncles and i guess they might get called it occasionaly but i don't think it will stick as baby gets older. im not all that keen on it myself but i think thats cos its what they want rather than what we have chosen if you see what i mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->