Autoimmune / High Risk

apreslaube

Reaction score
Does anyone here have an autoimmune disorder and know they will have a high risk pregnancy? Or has anyone here had a high risk pregnancy from an autoimmune disorder?

My 2 disorders cause miscarriages and other problems, so I will have to find an obgyn before trying, to make sure everything is OK for us to start TTC. I'd just like to know if anyone has tips, tricks, info on meds, info on natural treatment, etc on the whole thing. Right now I'm walking, gluten-free, on pre-natals matched to the celiac, and decreasing sugar and caffeine. I'm nervous and just want to make sure I am doing all I can to get my body ready for baby!

Basically it's a condition where your body thinks that something normal is actually bad. Sort of likehow when your white blood cells attack a cold virus coming in - but with autoimmune it thinks something natural is a foreign sick cell. Examples are rheumatoid arthritis and lupis. The ones I have are celiac and Hashimotos (a thyroid disorder)

I have Graves' disease but am hypothyroid because of the treatment I had for it. I believe they recommend having a TSH less than 2.0. Other than that, a thyroid disorder shouldn't cause any issue as long as it is closely monitored and kept at an appropriate level. Get your TSH checked before trying and make sure your thyroid meds are high enough to get your TSH to the recommended level. I had a complication-free pregnancy and just had to adjust my synthroid dose once in the first trimester.

Yeah, MS is one of the autoimmune disorders.

Thank you for your reply Literati_Love! That is very encouraging. I last got tested in April. I'm due this month but my new insurance doesn't kick in until December so I am waiting until then. Right now I'm not on any medication, as I'm not technically hypo- or hyper- yet. I fluctuate between the two so I guess it hasn't "stuck" yet?

I plan on getting tested in December and then also in February which is a month before we start trying. Probably go about 4 months and get tested again if we haven't conceived, and once conceiving go once a month.

My dad has MS so everyday is different for him. One day he can be fine and the next worse.

I have CRION which is an auto immune disease. I have optic neuritis in my eye and have flare ups where I can lose my sight. I am on steroids and asked my neuro if I could have children and she didn't seem concerned? I'm seeing her today again so I'm gonna ask if there is risk involved.

This is why me and OH are WTT

Hi. Me! I have two auto immune conditions, coeliac is one of them. I have 3 lovely little boys and carried them all with minimal problems. It is considered high risk but I think thats just them being cautious. You do get to have regular growth scans and will have to be under consultant car, but as long as you look after yourself and stick to eating well you should be fine.
Ohh, and make sure you're on 5mg of folic acid before you start trying and for 12 weeks as we suffer mal-absorbtion from our condition. We are at slightly higher risk of neural tube defects (spina bifida/cleft palate etc)

I feel scared to even try for a baby. I didn't even ask the neuro coz she was just doing so many tests on my eyes. I'm sure it's not gonna be ideal to start because I am on 30mg of prednisolone steroids daily and will be on them for 6 months at least.

Hmmphhhhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->