average monthly bills in uk? (south east)

cheskarose

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My partner and I both want to try for a baby at some point but we are currently saving for a mortgage deposit and need a house first (still living with parents)

Before we have all the baby worries and questions of TTC please could you give us an idea of your monthly outgoings? Preferably down south as I know rent etc is cheaper up north of uk.

Im so worried that once we finally move out that we wont even be given the chance to start a family because we wont be able to afford to. Any help would be appreciated x

Me and my boyfriend are in a similar position, we live in manchester but looking at 500 mortgage 150 bills and 150 council tax per month

We live in south East London. Our rent is £1250 a month (we live in a three bed house) bills are about £150 and council tax is £90

Hi :waves:

I had this worry before we bought our house I live in south east too! We each put £550 a month into a joint account which pays all our bills and food with some spare.

Per month -

Mortgage £450
Gas/Elec £90
Water £30
Council Tax £125
Tv £50
Food £200 (ish!)

Hope this helps!

Laura - £1250 a month for rent! That is so expensive. I'm glad I don't live in London! My mortgage is less than £400 a month for a 4 bed mid terrace.

Your council tax is cheaper then mine would be, though. I don't pay it at the moment as I am a student and live on my own, but when I was paying it, it was just over £100 a month with my single occupant discount.

We live in bedfordshire. Mortgage is £675... We put in £1200 between us to cover all bills including food shopping. We live in a new build which is very Eco. X

Yeah £1250 is expensive, but it's cheap for the area we live in - near Greenwich. Plus we have a view of the whole of London so it's worth every penny. My family are from Yorkshire - you could rent a mansion up there for the rent I pay. Ah well...

Thank you for all your replies..it has made it easier for me to get my head around it all! We so want to try for a bubba but we need the house first and it seems sometimes when you try and do everything properly your punished.

Does anyone have a child already and survive off just your partners wage? X

I'm hoping to pay £500-600 for mortgage
I live in Scotland and its and old flat. I need to put aside 400 a month for oil, electric and council tax. As my council tax is 1500 a year

Thank you for all your replies..it has made it easier for me to get my head around it all! We so want to try for a bubba but we need the house first and it seems sometimes when you try and do everything properly your punished.

Does anyone have a child already and survive off just your partners wage? X

definitely agree with you there! i have looked at all angles and the way i would be best off would be having a baby with my boyfriend and him staying at his mums and me getting a council house, i would get around £16k a year and not miss anything of my baby, i get just under £11k working!
i have worked so hard for 4 years to save our deposit though so that is not really an option for us, we really just want to buy somewhere!

We bought our own home oct 2012 and haven't actually struggled with our bills yet. We live on the broads in east Anglia so not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Monthly outgoings we have

Mortgage - £460
Electric - £120ish (no gas in the village so everything is electric)
Phone/internet/netflix etc - £25
Council tax - £150
Water - £30

That's for a 4 bed semi by the way. I'm on mat leave at the moment, and I've still got pay coming in for another few months but we will have a few months on just OH's wage.

It's definitely do-able. Once you've managed to get a place and pay off all the bills that come with buying a house. Solicitor fees are a killer! Just try to put whatever you can aside each month so you know you've got a good nest egg for when baby arrives. :thumbup:

The best way to think about it is buying a house is an asset. An asset you can leave to your kids when your time comes and that makes me feel better. It really is worth it if you can do it. Xx

Jesus! Under £500 on mortgages! Our mortgage is £1100 for a 3 bed semi, all bills are probably around £400 a month and I spend £100 a week on shopping. Nursery is £45 a day and after school club £5 a day( I have one at nursery and one at school).

Would love a mortgage under £500! X

We live in North London and our bills are roughly:
Rent- £1200
Electric - £50
Council tax - £150

So we are wtt to pay off all of our debt and put £5k towards our yearly rent to get our outgoings to a minimum as my wage is going to be a big loss. I wrote out a spreadsheet with all of our outgoings to see exactly what income we would have with just hubby's wage and think we'll have about £700 a month spare to pay for good aswell so will be far from well off but should be doable.

If we could move out of London and not be paying such a high amount of rent that would be great but wouldn't want to increase our commutes to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->