Babies and Bad Barking Dogs

littlemamana

Mommy to Colin
Reaction score
So... I have an issue. I live with my mom at the moment and my mom went through this phase where she decided she couldn't have enough dogs so somehow she ended up with 4 dogs. They are all small and wouldn't hurt anything but they bark like crazy sometimes for hours on end. They are also generally misbehaved because she never trained them well so they will go to the bathroom on the floors and stuff. It's really gross. I'm just really worried about having a baby around these dogs. I'm worried about the baby catching a disease or something and being awoken constantly because of their barking.

Does anyone have any advice? I've spoken to my mom about possibly giving one of the dogs (The main barking offender) away, but she won't listen to anything about that. She loves them a lot and I understand that but she's also incapable of caring for all of them and with a baby, I won't be able to either. I think it's unfair to the dogs and to us to be honest. I think some of them would be happier elsewhere. I just don't know what to do about it. :nope:

my dog is a pain in the bum with barking but the kids (3 and 1) just sleep through him they dont care even if they are fast asleep in the same room as room they dont bat an eye lid, baby will be used to the dog barking whilst in your womb so i dont think it will be a problem when its born when mine were born they both slept thru anything you could hoover right in front of them and they wouldnt even stir xx

If you put the effort training in just now they should be fine - it will be difficult and frustrating but you will see results and hopefully in plenty of time for LO being here :flower:. When I lived with my mum we had four big/giant breed dogs - now I have moved out she still has three and one lives with me - we never had any problems and I have no concerns at all for when LO comes as they are all well trained. If your mum is unwilling to give the dogs away and you can't move out then I think putting in some hard work training wise before LO gets here is your best bet - could you perhaps sit down with your mum and discuss training that you can both implement into the situation? xxx

They say if the dog barks whilst u are pregnant the baby gets used to it and becomes oblivious to it when there born! So apparently get used to it in the womb!! I have a dog that barks at everything! Half tempted to take him to the vet to get his voice box taken out :rofl:

What are the dogs barking about? Is it something outside or are they just standing there barking for no reason? If it appears to be for no reason they likely need more mental stimulation and exercise. As for potty training, are they going in the house because of lacking opportunities to go outside, or because they just don't know any better? Either way, I would suggest scheduled feedings if you aren't already (if it goes in at the same time every day it comes out at the same time every day!) and crating until they have eliminated outside. You also need to make going potty outside the best thing ever. Bring delicious treats along and praise+reward when they go. If you are having trouble getting them to go outside, crate them (individually in small crates, only large enough for them to lay down, stand up and turn around comfortably- no excess room to hide poops) for 20 minutes, then carry them outside and wait for a potty. If you don't get anything, carry them back inside and into the crate for another 20 min. Once they go, throw a party and then let them be loose in the house for a while. If you need additional help, I can PM you the link to a very good dog forum with lots of very knowledgeable members on training dogs.

They say if the dog barks whilst u are pregnant the baby gets used to it and becomes oblivious to it when there born! So apparently get used to it in the womb!! I have a dog that barks at everything! Half tempted to take him to the vet to get his voice box taken out :rofl:

Oh god don't do that. They can still 'bark' with their voice removed, it just sounds HORRIBLE and unearthly. Get a bark collar if you must, but don't do the voicebox surgery! It's awful. I realize you may not be serious about it, but I just don't want anyone going away thinking it might be a good idea! The sound is just terrible.

Oh god don't do that. They can still 'bark' with their voice removed, it just sounds HORRIBLE and unearthly. Get a bark collar if you must, but don't do the voicebox surgery! It's awful. I realize you may not be serious about it, but I just don't want anyone going away thinking it might be a good idea! The sound is just terrible.

'Bark collars' are illegal in the UK! - Just sayin ;)

I wouldn't get his voice box taken out might just duck tape his mouth closed instead!! Joke Yes the bark after sounds too painful lol!!

My dog barks at everything, been really bad with fire works. But moving house in few weeks which will have big garden for him so hoping that calms him down.

We took him to puppy lessons but he got kicked out...as too naughty...but hoping he will get better with continous training.

I will leave baby stuff around the house before LO arrives so he gets used to it.

and i think she was joking about getting voice box removed lol

Got kicked out of puppy training!! Cool dog!' lol :rofl: and yes I was joking about having his voice box removed lol xxx

The barking shouldn't be a problem if baby is used to it in the womb but it isn't something which can be left to continue forever so you need to figure out how to stop it. As one of the other posters mentioned it would be good to contact a dog forum or a dog group near you for advise. If you want to contact a behaviourist have a look at this link

https://www.apdt.co.uk/

The main problem for me is the lack of house training. Crate training is wonderful, it's what we do and my puppy was house trained at 11 weeks old (that was also during the summer which helps no end)!! No hassle, no shouting no stress, just some patience required to get it right and to help the dog succeed in what you are asking. Again a dog club or behaviourist will help you with that. There is no need to get rid of any dogs, it just takes a little effort but your mum will have to be prepared to get involved in that effort too. It won't work unless you both try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->