Babies sleeping in their own room - what age?

Samemka

Mummy of 2 girlies
Reaction score
Emma is 8 weeks old and last night she slept from about 11.30 - 5.45 which is really good - normally she's up every 3 hours.

However...she may as well have been because of the noises she makes! She constantly sounds like she's about to cry, wake up, grunts, groans...but she's asleep - but it's impossible for us to get much sleep because I'm always listening out for her expecting her to wake up!

The FSID website recommends babies are kept in a room with their parents for 6 months. Why is this? If I have her in the room next to ours, with a baby monitor on (we wouldn't even need it because she cries so loudly!) - isn't that really the same?

If it is safer for her to stay in our room then I will still do this, but I was just wondering what ages you put your LO in their own room?

i have no idea why they are meant to be in our room but alys went in her own room at about 3 1/2 months and has been soo much better, shes a loud sleeper too lol so off she went and shes fine hun

x

I don't mind putting her in her own room if it's 'safe' - I'm sure it is with the monitor on - but I don't want to do something that goes against advice if it could be potentially dangerous...I'd never do that :(

theres alot of things that were advised against but people still do hun i.e letting baby sleep on its front, cot bumpers, where you place the baby in a cot,making up bottles and more lol

i think aslong as your comfortable with your decisions and you think they are safe then you should do what you feel is right.
i know alot of mums that have had their LO in their own room since birth btw and they are fine hun, i think the having them in your room is something to do with your breathing helps them regulate their own.? but im not sure

xxx

i have no idea why its safer to have them in a room with us...We put LO to bed in his crib in our room in the evenings and have a baby monitor with us downstairs and he's fine. We're gonna move him to his own room when he starts sleeping through on a reg basis but at the mo its easier to have him near by at night 4 feeding etc.

i dont know the answe to this but i will keep checking for updates as i want to know aswell. going to ask my hv this afternoon so can let you know then if we havent got an answer by then xx

i am also debating putting Zack in his own room as he is a loud sleeper and can keep us awake!

Hi,
HV told me 2 keep LO in our room 4 6 month because of cot death, but will b trying her in her own room this wkend. I put my elder son in his room at 7 weeks. Give it a trial run n see how it goes n have a monitor if it gives u peice of mind, nothin worse than bein kept awake. U need ur sleep 2.

I think babies are recommended to be in the room with you because your breathing regulates theirs.

Samuel is now 3 months old and is in his cot in our room. I won't be moving him into his own room until Nov when he will be 6 months old, but that is my own preference. I know people who have put their babies into their own rooms at 4 months old.

Cx

Hi,
HV told me 2 keep LO in our room 4 6 month because of cot death, but will b trying her in her own room this wkend. I put my elder son in his room at 7 weeks. Give it a trial run n see how it goes n have a monitor if it gives u peice of mind, nothin worse than bein kept awake. U need ur sleep 2.

I thought it was because of cot death too - but then I was thinking about it - how can it help prevent cot death, unless it is to do with regulating breathing like some people have mentioned?

I was told by HV to wait till 6mth old think it is to do with regulating their breathing and maybe something to do with Cotdeath.

I was really worried when I put Deacon in his own room. So when we chose the monitor we got one of those Angelcare monitors with the sensor pad for breathing just for our peace of mind.

We put Deacon in his room at 7mth and he's been fine every since.

And its the best feeling when they are chatting away on a morning saying Mumma & Dadda whilst playing.

Its completley up to you what you do if you feel comfortable in doing it now then try it out and see how if feels/works and if its not working out bring baby back in with you.

Good Luck. x

Liam only went in his a few weeks ago was too hard for me not to have him their lol i would go with what you want things you could use to make yourself feel more better you could use a Angelcare monitor and a video moniter? i bought the Summer Baby Quiet Sounds Video Monitor when liam went into his own room is on offer in tesco x

Recent research suggests that having the baby's crib or cot in the parents' room for the first six months is protective against sudden infant death. If you don't have room for this, have the baby in the next room and make sure both doors are open.

so i guess its just a hearing thing??

spoke to hv at last and she said to keep baby in with me as long as possible but if hes too big for moses basket then i will have to put him in his own room, just to follow all the safety procedures and keep doors open

I think someone on hear said it was to do with a baby not going to sleep so deeply at night that they forget to breath (ie cotdeath) and that when they are in the room with you, they hear you turning over etc ...I think I've heard it somewhere else too.

That said, we put Molly in her own room (which is right down the hall) with the baby monitor on 2 weeks ago and she slept through the night from the moment she went in there and is now generally doing 6.30pm to 8am
:happydance:

We put Logan in his own room at 3 weeks, which seems really soon when reading the above posts! He is also a noisy sleeper, and I think that he was also being woken up by my OH snoring, which meant his feeding patterns were really irregular to begin with (as he would be woken up and think he was hungry). He is happy in his own room and has more regular feeds during the night (usually one at 11-12 and one at 4-5am). To be honest moving him was hard at first, but paid off as all involved now sleep better, especially as my OH had to go back to work after a week.

I had just asked the doctor this, he said to keep them in your room until around 2 months. Now I just have to be ready to move him over to his own room!

I think when I put Freya in her own room I will sleep in there with her for a bit, on a mattress on the floor, as I think it will prob be before 6 months. I would like to wait as long as poss though. I would like her to get used to her cot at some point but I'm not sure I'm ready for her to be too far away yet!

archie is still in with me ...i needto move him but i dont want to

he isnt a niosy sleeper though unless he has teeth coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"