Babies surname?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by kaykay, Apr 12, 2009.

1. kaykay

kaykay Well-Known Member

If your married you probably have the same surname anyway, But was just wondering if your not married are you planning on having the LO in your surname or your partners.

I have fell out with my partner at the minute and it just popped into my head.

Its my 1st baby but If you have another child from a previous relationship would you try and keep the surname the same?

x

2. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

im married now but when zane was born we werent and he has his dads sir name. but its up 2 u whos sirname u want ur baby to have

3. Laura--x

Laura--x Guest

My girls having OHS name. Not many people agree with us, because we're so young and whatnot, they thing she should take my name then get changed over when and if we get married.

IMO, i love my oh to bits, hes the one i want to spend my life with, and even though you don't know what will happen in the future, you live for now and right now we are happy and can't wait to be a family. Shes his daughter too, so i don't see why she shouldn't take his name tbh.

4. Sherileigh

Sherileigh Well-Known Member

I've given this a lot of thought...my OH and I plan on getting married at some point...but you just never know right? And when we get married I will take his name. I've told him that I want to give the baby a double surname on it's birth certificate....but we'll only use his surname (sounds better LOL) for non-official stuff. We should be married before the baby starts school, and when we do get married we can change the registration to show just one last name! I just kept thinking, if something happens and we break up I will NEVER have the same last name as my baby...and i don't like that. At least if my name is on the certificate we can always hyphenate it and use both if we didn't work out for some reason. I think us women have to protect ourselves...that's the way I feel anyway.

5. lisaandsprog

lisaandsprog Mother of two, nearly 3!

Thats difficult. i m not married but my children all have my partners surname. I dont kno what id do if i split up with my partner and had another child with someone else- i wouldnt want their surnames to be different. The easiest option if you think you'll be splitting up i guess is have babys surname the same as yours - then you dont have that problem. Or you could always have a double barrelled surname - yours and your partners combined....making sure yours is the very last name so if you had any doubts later on down the line or you two split, then you could drop the first half of the surname and just have your last name .....?

6. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

He will have my partners surname.

7. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

Not third tri...:)...but my daughter has my OH's name.

8. cs22

cs22 Mum and ttc# 2

My baby will have OH surname. We are not married but we are engaged. I would ideally like to give baby a double barrelled last name but with our last names together it just sounds wrong lol x

9. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

He's having OHs surname, then ill change mine whenever we get married

10. 2nd time mum

2nd time mum Well-Known Member

This is my 2nd to the same person and still not married. Our first has my surname because we separated whilst I was pregnant the last time. This has caused a bit of a problem in our house because OH wants baby to have his surname so I have decided that it will be a double barrell name so that my surname is defo there. In Scotland the law is totally different that even if me and OH split up I can change the baby's name to mine without any problems or deed poll or anything as long as I am not doing anything fraudulently it is OK up here.

11. Pink_Witch

Pink_Witch proud mummy of 6

while i was pregnant with ethan who is 6 my divorce came through,and i changed my name by deed poll to hubby's as he didnt want to get married and when the baby was born i didnt want him to be given the name i had in the hospital,so i changed mine so that baby could be given my hubbys name...........we got married the following year anyway!!

12. ecossaise74

ecossaise74 Well-Known Member

I'm not married yet but we are planning to, so he'll have my fiance's name... Anyway, sound a lot better than mine!
    I have my father's name but I always lived with my mum. It never bothered me more than that.
    Plus I don't have great a relationship with my father so I'm happy to leave my name behind and to don't pass it to m baby. He'll get a new heritance in his name, new vibe, new family!!!

13. leighbaby

leighbaby yummy mummy

We are giving the LO OH's surname. We aren't married either though.

14. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

My 1st 2 kids have my surname ....with a different man to now then i had ethan and he had his dads lastname and we are now married i think when u kno u are together forever you just know if thats makes sense x

15. passengerrach

passengerrach mummy to kai

i was going to give my baby my partners sir name but at the last minute i changed my mind (like the day before registering him) and had to give my baby my sir name i dont know why it just felt not right for him to have a different sir name to me and if i had another baby with someone else id want to keep their sir names the same

16. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

He's having my OH's surname

17. Lottie86

Lottie86 Mummy to Findlay & Iona

We're double barrelling. If OH and I do get married at some point (I'm hoping we will) then I'll double barrel my surname anyway so Kermit and I will have the same surname then :)

Will be weird in the meantime as everyone in the house will have a different surname :dohh: