Babies with squints

staceyjc18

Reaction score
Has anyones baby got a squint? It was noted at her 8 week check that she has an intermittent left eye squint and to take her back at 6 months if it was still there. It is :(

They noticed that my son had one when he was about 5 weeks old. It runs in my family, as I have one and so do various relatives on both my mum and dad's side. Because of this both my children were automatically referred to the eye hospital for a check up. My daughter had her check up at 18 months and she didn't have a squint. My son should get his appointment through at about 12 months and if he still has it then, I guess they will do something about it, although I am not sure what.

My 3 daughters all have squints of varying degrees. My eldest (13 today!) has had 2 operations to correct hers at approx 4 and 6 years of age, my middle daughter required no treatment apart from glasses but hers wernt picked up till she was 7 and my third has just been discharged from hospital aged 8. She was just observed and given glasses. It's no biggie but def keep any appointments you're given xx

It was also noted at my LO's 6 wk check that he has a squint in his left eye. The doc just told me to get his eyes checked b4 he starts full time school as he may need glasses. I did think that maybe he should b seen b4 then. I'm gonna see how he goes as he grows and take him bk if it looks worse or if he is struggling with it x

My 5 year old has just had surgery to correct his squint, it wasn't noticed till he was a year old though. I think Vinnie may have one too as i've noticed his left eye turning alot lately, im going to mention it at our 8 week check up on wednesday. It runs in my moms family, and they all had to wear glasses because of theirs. My 5 year old has perfect vision though. They can grow out of it though. :) x

I had a squint when I was born. Quite a bad one so it was noticed early on. I had an operation to correct it at 18 months old. But even that was too late for my vision. My brain now pretty much ignores what my left eye sees so I have very poor binocular vision which is a problem with some things like depth perception (so I'm very bad at parking & catching! lol) & I can't see red/green 3D or magic eye type puzzles. All this stems from the squint being uncontested for the first year & half. My eyes didn't line up at all so my brain just learned to ignore my 'bad' eye. After the surgery I had to wear eye patches for many hours a day well into my childhood over my good eye to try & strengthen the corrected eye but it didn't work as my brain still ignores it. If it's a bad squint then I'd push for an earlier appointment so hopefully the binocular vision is saved.

I noticed Aisling had a squint at 5 months old and she was referred to the eye department of the local hospital, got an appointment within a few weeks. She was diagnosed on that day with a retinal coloboma which means that part of her retina and possibly her optic disk didn't finish growing in the womb. So it looks like she is blind in her right eye and will have issues with depth perception and spatial awareness.

They initially prescribed patches for her in an attempt to strengthen her bad eye as much as possible. Unfortunately, when you cover up her good eye, she is pretty much in darkness so she used to either get upset or fall asleep :( Now that it looks like she has no useful vision in that eye, they've given up on the patches but want to put her under general anaesthetic to check how much is missing. However, I moved to Ireland with her 7 months ago and I'm still waiting for an appointment here....

I'd definitely make sure you get your appointment asap, the sooner they catch these things, the better the chances of success are and avoiding surgery. Whatever happens, it's not the end of the world :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->