Baby Accidents/Negligence

Peas

Reaction score
I don't post on here regularly but love reading and learning when I do get the chance.

I just really wanted to remind everyone about constant vigilence with our precious ones. I know I personally have thought 'oh wonderful, he's getting older and more independent so I can get on with X,Y,Z while he plays' and then later found him fiddling with the keys in the door trying to get out. :cry: Things like that, that give us a short sharp shock to knock us out of complacency.

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine has recently had her children taken away from her. She left her 6 month old baby sleeping on the bed, unaware of how active she was getting with rolling around etc. Anyway, little baby rolled off the bed, and got stuck between the bed and a very hot radiator. She is burned and scarred, how badly I don't know. I know it was foolish and stupid but I think it could be any of us in any situation, turning our backs for 1-2 minutes, nipping out of the room while giving LO a bath to get a towel, leaving blind cords unsecured etc

Things like this terrify and upset me. But I would rather be overvigilent and upset than be complacent and relaxed about how much danger my toddler could be walking into.

I hope I haven't offended or sound patronising. I just genuinly wanted to give others a renewed sense of awareness as I know I need reminders when weeks go by and my LO is developing and learning so positively, i still need to remember possible dangers all around him.

:hugs:

What a horrible thing to happen. That mother must be just devastated. You are right it is easy to get complacent.

Very true hun, And its something i personally need to remind myslef more of.

I hope the little girl you said about, isnt too badly hurt and makes a speedy recovery :hugs:

Well said hun, its all to easy to get complacent with certain things and just assume they're ok if they're left alone for a few minutes

ETA - I hope the little baby that got scarred isn't to badly hurt :hugs: xx

Ah how awful for her. Has the baby just been taken away while she is being assessed or is it likely to be permanent?

It's so hard. Children blossom so much better when we aren't following them around pre-empting danger and shielding them from everything. But we do have to use common sense in everyday situations and make sure we avoid things that really shouldn't happen except through negligence.

Thank you for the reminder :)

Thank you guys.

for those of you that have blinds on your windows, you can get safety holders for them which pin the cord to the wall with a few screws (about £2 on ebay). So many deaths and horrific accidents with them every year, or better still if your thinking of getting blinds have the ones where the blinds can be open/closed with a rotating stick. x

Ah how awful for her. Has the baby just been taken away while she is being assessed or is it likely to be permanent?

It's so hard. Children blossom so much better when we aren't following them around pre-empting danger and shielding them from everything. But we do have to use common sense in everyday situations and make sure we avoid things that really shouldn't happen except through negligence.

Thank you for the reminder :)

As far as I know she is still trying to get them back. I know for a fact that my childs development in terms of weaning and independence has been hindered by me being so over protective (and he still has accidents) for example i was so afraid of giving him him lumpier/solid food as a baby because of the risk of choking. As a result now he is such a fussy eater. :shrug:

It is terrifying what can happen and I'm so sorry for what happened to that LO :cry: I learned a hard lesson last year whe my son (10 months at the time) was sat on his changing table and tipped head first off it. He was completely fine but I was shaking for what seemed like days, I felt awful.

I think a lot of it is down to common sense. I would never put blinds up in LO room, we have them in the bathroom but the cord can not be reach by LO, i did this all with common sense.

On the other hand we can't wrap them up in 'cotton wool' otherwise our children can't grow and think for themselves

We have blinds in Indies room, the string is pinned up at the top. I don't see the issue? Iv never thought of it as a danger?

I think it is good to be vigilant, but there is a fine line between vigilance and fear. I thnk it's important to also enjoy life without constantly worrying about what can go wrong. I am not at all saying that you don't need to put in safety measures, but over worrying is also not good. Accidents are just that ... Things which can't always be foreseen or necessarily prevented. You do what you can, but feeling guilty and worrying beyond that is pointless.

I think it is good to be vigilant, but there is a fine line between vigilance and fear. I thnk it's important to also enjoy life without constantly worrying about what can go wrong. I am not at all saying that you don't need to put in safety measures, but over worrying is also not good. Accidents are just that ... Things which can't always be foreseen or necessarily prevented. You do what you can, but feeling guilty and worrying beyond that is pointless.

I agree! Accidents happen! It's a way of life and a way of learning. If we constantly worry and fear and wrap our LO's up in cotton wool then what kind of childhood is that for them?!!

I understand that you have to have common sense and protect them, and be aware of potential dangers such a putting stair gates up, not having blind cords hanging too low down, not letting them stand on the roof! etc...

But not all accidents are bad things! Falling off a bike for example is inevitable and will help them progress to riding a bike efficiently!

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that your friends baby was taken off her just like that due to an accident!..... If this was the 5th in a series of negligent accidents then fair enough, but my LO fell off the bed when asleep the other night, no so serious that he got caught by the radiator but still a similar accident all the same!... He's still with me!

Thank you guys.

for those of you that have blinds on your windows, you can get safety holders for them which pin the cord to the wall with a few screws (about £2 on ebay). So many deaths and horrific accidents with them every year, or better still if your thinking of getting blinds have the ones where the blinds can be open/closed with a rotating stick. x

There is currently a big campaign about these and you can get them for free, I just need to remember where form now. It was on tv the other week, might have been Breakfast TV or This Morning.

EDIT: To add link if it will let me
https://www.rospa.com/about/currentcampaigns/blindcords/

We have blinds in my sons bedroom and have since he was 2 1/2 years old. As yet neither him or Esther have even touched the cord - they have never been told not to touch it either. Sometimes i think we put ideas in our lo's heads. I know for a fact that if i told Esther not to touch the cord then every time she went into Daniel's room the cord would be the first thing that she went for. When tell our lo not to do something, sometimes it gives them the idea to do it. Up until that point it had probably never occurred to them that they could do it.

I agree with RachA that if you tell a LO not to do something, chances are they WILL do it! However, regardless of whether I alert her to the location of blind cords or not in her room, I have ensured I have secured them at top of window frame so she should not be able to reach them as I also know she could stumble upon how 'fun' they are to play with herself!

Also we still have a baby monitor in her room else wouldn't hear her calling behind closed doors til she got distressed and I've made sure the monitor is hidden out of her sight along with the wire as I know these are a hazard too.

We don't have locks on the cleaning cupboard as I never leave her unsupervised long enough to get into stuff but I try and remove/minimize hazards that could occur out of my sight (ie stuff in her room now she's in toddler bed and less supervised)

Seems terrible that the woman's baby was taken away because of what happened;-( it was just an accident. I wonder if there is more to i than that. Awful what happened to the baby but still an accident?

My daughter has a smll bruise on her head at the moment where we were playing on the floor and i was crawling around with her. She lunged at me and i managed to elbow her somehow. Total accident but i gave her a bruise:-( Wont stop me playing with her though.

i agree with this :thumbup:

...we have blinds on every window in our home but the cords are not left hanging down so cant cause harm,(not that they have even thought about touching them) stairgates, plug covers, window locks/latches (so windows can only be opened so far)....locking front and back doors when little ones know how to open them,so cant escape, making sure medicines and cleaning products are out of reach, so children cant swallow things, knifes, scissors out of reach etc etc .......thats all common sense........... in regards to accidents falling of bikes/beds etc plain and simple unforeseen accidents cant be helped or prevented without locking your child in a padded room for life. x

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that your friends baby was taken off her just like that due to an accident!..... If this was the 5th in a series of negligent accidents then fair enough, but my LO fell off the bed when asleep the other night, no so serious that he got caught by the radiator but still a similar accident all the same!... He's still with me!

I agree and think there is probably more to it. Stories like that there is usually lots of more to them.

I use my common sense but my son is very independent. I was thinking as he was helping me cut veg up for tea that some other parents would probably think I was insane for letting him use a knife :dohh:

I agree to be careful but not OVER careful. A brilliant read on this subject is 'Do not disturb' by Deborah Jackson.

I found it funny how everywhere goes on about babyproofing once your LO can crawl...when eldest crawled she just wanted to follow me and crawl to her toys...its now she's a cheeky 2 year old that she's into EVERYTHING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"