Baby Accidents/Negligence

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that your friends baby was taken off her just like that due to an accident!..... If this was the 5th in a series of negligent accidents then fair enough, but my LO fell off the bed when asleep the other night, no so serious that he got caught by the radiator but still a similar accident all the same!... He's still with me!

I agree and think there is probably more to it. Stories like that there is usually lots of more to them.

I use my common sense but my son is very independent. I was thinking as he was helping me cut veg up for tea that some other parents would probably think I was insane for letting him use a knife :dohh:

:thumbup: i think thats fab, children should learn the use of things correctly (within reason of course) and get the chance to become independent and they are reinforcing this now from preschool age, during pre-school children are encouraged to cut up their own fruit and pour their own drinks...i also helped out making sandwhiches in my eldest daughters school, it was amazing how many of the children didnt know how to butter bread and just left a big dollop of butter in the middle.
The use of tools is becoming a major thing to, i.e letting children handle mini saw's, mini hammers, staplers, scissors etc etc with appropriate supervision of course. x

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that your friends baby was taken off her just like that due to an accident!..... If this was the 5th in a series of negligent accidents then fair enough, but my LO fell off the bed when asleep the other night, no so serious that he got caught by the radiator but still a similar accident all the same!... He's still with me!

I agree and think there is probably more to it. Stories like that there is usually lots of more to them.

I use my common sense but my son is very independent. I was thinking as he was helping me cut veg up for tea that some other parents would probably think I was insane for letting him use a knife :dohh:

There are studies that show (and indeed my sil can attest to the truth of this as all 3 did with no accidents at all) that if you let your young child handle a knife early on then they will rarely have problems with it and rarely cut themselves with it.

oooh, I'm doing something right! :D thanks girls lol :)

My LO lunged off the changing table last weekend and I was right there (putting on her socks) and not quick enough to stop her. I was absolutely horrified as she fell face first and her body and head were almost at a right angle when she impacted the floor!!!!!
She was fine (tiny carpet burn) but it did make me realise that I'd become complacent - she'd been able to roll for months but had never tried it on the changing table till now so I hadn't been on the alert.

Thanks to the OP for a less dramatic way of ridding us of our complacency!

It's so true that awful accidents can happen in an instant. Poor little baby and poor, poor mother. We all do things that could potentially end in disaster and sometimes we all get little shocks that knock us into rethinking how much freedom we give our toddlers.

My LO fell off the sofa for the first time a couple days ago and she was literally leaning against me when it happened. I think I was concentrating on something on the TV and obviously not on her. She was the one to turn the TV (loves the remote) on so I don't even know why I was watching the bloody thing. She's got a lovely little carpet burn on the side of her nose but she's fine otherwise.

I think it is good to be vigilant, but there is a fine line between vigilance and fear. I thnk it's important to also enjoy life without constantly worrying about what can go wrong. I am not at all saying that you don't need to put in safety measures, but over worrying is also not good. Accidents are just that ... Things which can't always be foreseen or necessarily prevented. You do what you can, but feeling guilty and worrying beyond that is pointless.

I agree with this :thumbup:

I'm sure i watched a programme with a young woman on it who was badly burned and scarred as a baby from becoming trapped between a bed and the radiator recently.

A terrible accident, but i dont think your friend of a friends kids should have been taken off her as a result of one terrible accident there must have been more to it. :(

I have to agree.

OH was stupid when DD was a baby. He stupidly put her on a table in the bouncer and DS pushed her off. (I still can't believe how thoughtless he was). We were horrified and spent the day at the hospital (OH spent his time in the toliet throwing up about what could have happened). We never even got a visit from HV...I took the kids to get weighed every week and they brought it up and talked to me then about it.

I actually feel sick again now thinking about it.

It is true though, you sometimes forget just how able they are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->