Baby acupuncture

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Cattia, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever taken their LO for acupuncture? George had his first treatment yesterday. Before I get accused of child abuse though, they don't actually stick pins in babies, the acupuncturist just had a little metal rod that she gently held over certain pressure points so it is very gentle and painless for them, almost like a kind of massage.

The therpaist has been recommended by lots of friends of mine as she has treated their kids, so I am really hoping it will help with George's reflux and terrible wind. The doctor won't do anything about it as he is gaining so much weight but I have another appointment with a different GP on Friday, so we will see whether Eastern or Western medicine triumphs in the end. Or neither. Would love to know if anyone else has tried this and whether it works. I have had acupuncture for years and I think it's great!

2. Surprise

Surprise Well-Known Member

How interesting! I sure hope it helps your LO. How many times do you plan on him having it? Let us know how he does. My baby has reflux and tons of gassiness, too.

Slightly OT, but I've been considering accupuncture for myself, for pelvic and back pain. But I would never want to go to anyone without a really good recommendation, you know? May I ask what you go for?

3. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

I think that she recommends about three or four treatments, so we'll see how it goes. The reflux is a nightmare so I will be really glad if this helps, and I could live without the 4am grunting and screaming with wind as well!

If you're looking for a therapist, look for someone who is a registered member of the British Acupuncure Council. They are the regulating body in the UK and anyone who is registered with them should be OK. Some acupuncturists are also qualified to dispense Chinese herbs as well and those can be really helpful, I use them for hayfever and used to use them for PMT, back in the days when I had periods! I think acupuncure is great for conditions like chronic pain, allergies etc, things that the Drs can't seem to fix. I definitley say give it a go!