Baby and Anesthesia ?

miel

Married to an amazing guy
Reaction score
i was wondering if any of you had the "experience " about having their baby put under Anesthesia?

Trystan is 12 days olds...he need a MRI to confirm if he has a version of spina bifida..we are waiting on the doctor to see when it will be "safe" for him to go under ? i think we may have to wait that he is is 1 month old or more...

I'm sorry, no experience just wanted to offer :hugs: and I hope everything goes well

My daughter has spina bifida. She had her first general anaesthetic at 1 day old.

My LO had pyloric stenosis and had to have surgery on his tummy at 3 weeks old. It required full anesthesia. It went just fine -- he came out of it fine and didn't have any ill affects from it.

Thinking of you and Trystan. :hugs:

I have no experience or advice but just wanted to send you lots and lots of :hugs: xxx

Ah bless you hun and big hugs.

Charlie had his operation at 10 weeks old to repair his cleft lip and was under for 4 hours. He came around just fine. They provide paedeatric anetheatists who generally only look after babies which is greatly reassuring.

They ask you to hold onto your little one whilst they put them under and they generally go to sleep in your arms. Once Charlie was asleep I put him on the table with his favourite toy, gave him a kiss and told him I would see him later.

You will cry lots but that is because you are having to give over your LO which most people have never been apart from and also the emotional strain behind why your little guy is having it done in the first place :(

Lots of love to you.

xxxx

My son Alex had heart surgery at 2weeks old, his weight had dropped to 6lbs 14oz, as far as i am led to believe surgeons prefer the baby to be over 2kilos but not sure if thats for surgery in general or heart surgery.

Alex was under for approx 10hours obviously there are risks but your medical team will go through them all with you. My advice write down any questions you feel you want to ask. The anethatist (sp) came and talked through things with us on the morning of surgery she explained what they would do and the reasons for it. Generally we were told that it is so much safer these days then it was even 10 years ago, medicine advances all the time, also they will not keep your baby under any longer than they need to.

Honey its going to feel like your on a rollercoaster as nothing else matters when its your baby thats poorly, i wish you and your family all the best.

Big hugs xx

Sofia was put under GA on day 1 for a bowel operation.

Obviously it's always a risk, and if they can wait for the baby to be stronger (ie big) then they will.

Cant offer any advice just wanted to send big :hugs: and will be thinking of you all.x

My LO was 10 months old when she 'went under' and I won't lie it was an awful experience but it's making your LO better so just keep holding on to that.

I think someone else said as well, they'll ask you to hold on to your LO and they'll place a mask over or near their mouth (my LO screeeaamed and screamed but I was told the more they scream the quicker they're taking it in so it's a good thing.)
It's hard seeing someone you love going through something like that and I can't imagine had she been any younger.

Wishing you lots of strength and best wishes. Just cling on to the positive outcome and why they're doing it. Your LO will be fine. :hugs::hugs: xxx

I cant offer any personal experience hun I just hope it all goes ok, Thinking of you all. XXX

Connor needs an MRI to see if he has epilepsy but we have decided to wait until he is older as both me and OH dont feel he needs it immediatly but we have decided that if he does have anymore fits then he will be having it sooner than we planned but he hasnt had anymore yet but will be keeping an eye on this thread incase he does need it sooner:hugs:

Jasper had GA for a hernia op at 12 weeks. They do go through everything with you and explain that is so much safer nowadays. It's certainly not an easy thing to go through as a parent though...they will normally let you be with them when they are put under. They put the mask over Jasper's dummy to make it less frightening... but I did have a tear in my eye.

Hey Hun, my LO has had 3 ops so far, has another 4 to come and us also booked in for an MRI next tues-as far as I'm aware the MRI is a sedation so they really won't use much anesthesia at all-it will b more upsetting for u than your LO from experience. Sam has always comes round quite well,very groggy to start with but not for too long!

Hope it goes ok Hun x

Just wanted to add that I assume you will have Trystan at a Children's Hospital? If not, take him to one if you can. I refused to have that operation in my town because the anesthesologists (sp?) didn't have experience with infants here. That makes a difference. At a Children's Hospital, they will have loads of experience with babies so it will likely go just fine. I ended up taking my LO to a Children's that was about 4 hours from us. SSOOOOO glad I did!

I know you live in a big city, so there must be a good Children's there. Every big city has one!

Big :hugs:

My LO had heart surgery at 12 weeks old and she came round from the GA just fine as all the other girls have said

I think seeing them go under is the hardest part, I had a good old cry! but you know it is for the best in the long run

:hugs::hugs: and thinking of you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->