Baby Bottles

H

heyyady

I have an 18 year old and a 14 year old- I should be old hat at all this by now, right? And I thought I was until I started reading all this new information about bottles... I plan on breast feeding, but am having twins and let's be realistic, some kind of supplementing will be happening at some point. So I want to be prepared, pick up a dozen bottles. It used to be grab one of those cute little pastel plastic NUK bottles from the local grocery- but now there's RULES to this.
Is all of this really necessary? BPA free- Silicone not Latex nipples- Glass not plastic.

Opinions?

i would say yes it is nesessary to have non BPA but the others no i'm using plastic bottles and i know that they still sell latex teats so surely they arnt unsafe.x

Its only necessary if you think its necessary ;)
I'm really big on not using plastic though after finding out how much it leeches chemicals and that there are detectable amounts of plastic compounds in the bloodstreams of the vast majority of Americans. I just can't imagine that is good for us. It really didn't take much effort to stop using plastic for food storage either, I use pretty much all glass, ceramic, and stainless steel at home so I definitely plan on using glass bottles. I really don't like to promote paranoia so don't worry about it if it will stress you out, but after "quitting" plastic I really like using glass things and find that they feel way higher quality to me and last for a really long time. Glass is pretty much infinitely reusable, easy to recycle, doesn't warp, doesn't leech chemicals, and is pretty much all around awesome in my opinion.

i would def go bpa free, they are getting better at making plastic non toxic. I wouldn't go crazy at first buying bottles, you might find that you like one but the baby doesn't like it. I know really gassy babies do better with the ones that help get the air out. So I would just buy a couple and try them out when the babies come, and decide what works best then.
I will breast feed again, this is my 3rd baby. But I will supplement with breast milk in bottle when out and about in public. Jsut easier that way. I am not buying bottles till after the baby comes.

I agree about staying BPA-free (if you plan on supplementing with formula be aware that lots of formula has BPA in it too... at least here in the US... powdered formula has the least amount... liquid formula in plastic bottles is pretty safe too... but liquid in cans is not good since the cans are mostly treated with BPA on the inside... the EWG website has lots of information about this and rates the different brands)

I agree about not buying up on one brand until you've had a chance to make sure they work for you baby. Every friend I know had to switch brands :dohh:
I think the silicone nipples are preferred due to them not breaking down as easily? Not sure why but the latex ones are still fairly safe and its all that some babies will take.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this baby likes the playtex drop-ins!!! :)

I used the drop ins for a bit with my son, as he was SUPER gassy- I'm thinking with twins it may be just easier to go that rout again- less mess... And I think the latex ones are not recommended because it promotes latex allergies. Not sure I agree with that one.

I'm really glad that they are making bottles and lots of plastics BPA free now, but thats not the only chemical that makes it out of plastic and into your food. DEHP, styrene, pthalates, and all kinds of nasty stuff are shown to leech out of plastic and those are just the ones we know about so I'm not very confident about the "safe" plastics.

The bottles I have bought are the Avent ones which say BPA free but I never used to check. It's only very recently that I actually learnt about all this. I feel very slow..

I'm checking up on what lisaf said about BPA in formula though because I plan to FF with SMA (which my last 2 thrived on) because the thought that formula has it is quite alarming.

yeah, the information I've found about BPA in formula is that there is more BPA in some formulas than you would find in the plastic bottles that aren't BPA-free :(
Really hoping now that breastfeeding will be an option for me or that my kid will like one of the less-risky formula brands/types!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->