Baby Cold, over reacting?

charli87

Chloes Mummy
Reaction score
Hey all

Was just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Chloe has developed a cold over the past few days, she caught it from me:dohh:. Now as the days have gone on she's sounds more and more blocked up. She's also started to not take as much milk, only leaving an oz every bottle but still not like her.
I rung the Drs this morning and the receptionist asked if it was an emergency which I said it was as I know I won't get an appoinment for 3 or 4 days otherwise. The receptionist then proceeded to tell me that if 'all it is is a cold its not an emergency':shrug: i explained the fact she wasn't taking her bottles properly etc etc and she still refused to give me an appointment. By this point I got pretty angry and threatened to sit there all day with a screaming baby until some-one saw me, she eventually gave me an appointment.

Do you think I'm over reacting by taking her to the Drs for a cold, I thought I was doing the right thing, but the receptionist is now making me question myself:nope:
Chloe's nearly 11wks btw.

Thanks!

no i dont think your over reacting at all hun!!

the reason she may not be taking as much milk may be due to the fact that babies can only breathe through their nose so when their drinking aswell as trying to breathe they can struggle when their noses are stuffy. id take her the dr's just so he can check her over even if its just to put your mind at rest.
im sure everything will be fine.

<3

I don't think you're over reacting.

When my LO had a cold and wouldn't take her bottle it was because her nose was blocked and she couldn't breathe.

Have you got a nasal aspirator and nasal saline solution?

Definitely not over-reacting, where little babies are involved I thought they had to be given priority. She's not medically qualified so how can she judge how I'll your baby is? I bet most people say it's an emergency even if not. Our doc's is the same, often have to wait 2/3 weeks for an appointment. Our LO got thecold a few weeks ago but got over it quickly, we used saline drops on his blocked nose and karvol capsules of oil which you put on a hanky in the room to help them breathe easier. Hope your LO gets well soon.

No-you are not over reacting. i would also go to gp. LO is my first so i seek advice and reassurance with every major worry.

The receptionist cant listen to your babies chest or look in LOs ears. I have good recptionists at my surgery but i know that some can be right old bats!

Not over reacting at all, babies can often get ear infections with a cold so its always best to get them checked over.
We had our LO at a walk in centre (it was a sunday) when he was 5 weeks old with a realy bad cold and the dr there didnt even bother checking him over just moaned about how colds happen.
That night his ears just started streaming with gunk so I took him to his dr the next day who examined him to find he had realy bad ear infection in both ears and gave him some antibiotics.

Receptionists think they know it all. My sister took her 11 week old to the doctor with 'just a cold'. The doctor told her it was early bronchiolitis and told her the thinks she needed to look for, which meant she knew to take her to hospital when she started to struggle to breathe.

ahh thanks glad you don't think I'm over reacting. to be honest I've had a receptionist try and diagnose me over the phone before :saywhat: so I should of known just to ignore the one today.

Unless baby sounds chesty i wouldent, there is nothing a doctor can give you that you cant get over the counter and there more likely to catch something else at the doctors.

bloody receptionists drive me mad, once this woman who i know talks rubbish picked up the phone ad told me only emergencies during the morning and i had to wait for an afternoon appointment and there were none for a week. so i said i woudl leave it, rang back ten mins later, got another receptionist who said yes we have appointments can you come this morning at 10:30!!!

Totally not over reacting - you can't be too careful with babies. Our surgery is really good actually, and always fit Sophie in straight away but I don't know if that's because she was very premature. I've had her there twice recently, once because I thought I heard her wheezing and once with a cold and bad cough and he was more than happy to see her both times. I said I was sorry if I was just an over anxious mother taking up his time, and he said "we'd far rather mums were over anxious and brought their babies every day till they were confident they were ok, than didn't care enough".

thanks for the advice everyone!

just got back she's fine just a cold but he said if it doesn't improve to go back Monday.
like yours katy1310 he was pleased I brought her in rather than just leaving it and assuming its a cold

my lo is in same situation but has been to docs and been told there's nothing on his chest. I have been told by a few mums at baby group today that doc wont really do anything for a cold. I have looked on net and just found this....

https://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/newborn-h...cold/1458.html

I now feel a bit more at ease bout it and am gonna see how he is over the weekend, if it gets any worse i'll take him back

Hope your lo feels better soon :hugs:

my lo is in same situation but has been to docs and been told there's nothing on his chest. I have been told by a few mums at baby group today that doc wont really do anything for a cold. I have looked on net and just found this....

https://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/newborn-h...cold/1458.html

I now feel a bit more at ease bout it and am gonna see how he is over the weekend, if it gets any worse i'll take him back

Hope your lo feels better soon :hugs:

Yeah definitely see how he is and if no improvement take him back next week. Although the Dr said he couldn't do anything he was pleased I took her in as if it gets worse I now know to go back, especially as she is under 3 months.
Hope you lo gets better soon :hugs:
oh and we have the same bouncy chair too by the looks of your pic lol!

thanks for the advice everyone!

just got back she's fine just a cold but he said if it doesn't improve to go back Monday.
like yours katy1310 he was pleased I brought her in rather than just leaving it and assuming its a cold

I must have been typing at the same time lol. glad she's ok :) He has just bout out grown his bouncy chair, keeps pulling himselfup with the toys! Have upgraded to a bumbo! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->