Baby costs?!?

LunaFleur

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am trying to compile a list firstly of all the one off necessities for a new born such as cot, buggy etc and then secondly how many items that need to be regular bought (nappies/wipes) etc. If you could please let me know an average amount of nappies you get through a day during the first year of babys life would be great. I just want to make sure I have an accurate estimation of how much things will cost*

The amount of nappies will vary with how you feed, also just as a point, it's worth NOT bulking up on nappies it's always very tempting to but my boys got through size 1s and 2s extremely quickly, I actually didn't buy any size 1 for DS2 as I had enough left over from DS1 lol, then a friend gave me all her size 2 as she over bought so the first pack I bought was size 3 lol! Even now I don't buy in bulk.

Sorry that's not very helpful, but I reckon I spend no more than £20 a month in nappies. He poos once a day and hasn't needed nappy changing through the night since being less than a month old. I will buy 2 large carry packs a time and these will last me a while. You will go through more in the first month as baby will probably be going to the toilet more feeding round the clock.

Honestly coming up with an idea of how much a baby will cost for you is very hard as it is different for everyone. It depends on the brands you prefer and some of the choices you will make as parents. For example, do you plan to use cloth or disposable nappies? Do you plan to breast or formula feed? Do you want to buy all new clothes for your baby or do you not mind buying used clothes? How much are your families willing to help you out as far as purchasing items for baby goes? These four things alone will determine your baby budget greatly.

Also, the amount of nappies you use daily will change as your baby gets older. I would say that most newborns probably use anywhere between 9 and 12 nappies a day on average, but my 9 month old uses about 5 to 7 nappies a day.

Newborns also nurse or take a bottle every hour or two (if you plan to bottle feed the amount of formula you use for each of these feedings will depend on how old your baby is and how much they personally feel like eating as some babies eat more or less than others. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the formula department as far as how many oz each age is likely to take as I breastfeed). My 9 month old however has been eating solids since 6 months and now only nurses about 5 times a day (give or take, it varies sometimes) because he eats a bowl of baby oatmeal in the mornings and 3 or 4 jars of baby food a day.

Speaking of baby food, you will need to think about whether you want to purchase pre-made baby food or make your own at home when your baby is old enough to be introduced to solids.

Our parents and grandparents helped with a lot of things, so we didn't have to make most of the big purchases ourselves. The big stuff is expensive, but can also be used with subsequent children and most of it is necessary and well worth the investment. By the big stuff I mean the swing, crib, crib mattress and bedding, stroller, exersaucer, pack and play, bouncer, car seat, dresser, ect. If money is no object then I recommend getting these things new. If you're on a tight budget though it's probably okay to get all of these things used except for the car seat as it's impossible for you to know if it has been in an accident or not and can be hard to figure out if it has expired (yes, car seats have expiration dates). This of course is providing that none of the things you get used are a model that has been recalled (do your research carefully before buying any of these things used). I would also recommend getting a convertible crib that will grow with your baby because even if you plan to co-sleep for a while co-sleeping may not work out as long or as well as you hoped (my son decided that he wanted to sleep by himself after 3 months). It will also provide a toddler bed that you then do not have to buy (unless you plan to have more children and have them within 4 years apart from each other). I also recommend making that convertible crib one that has a changing table attached to it. We have one and it's been incredibly convenient. It's great for extra storage space, doesn't take up much extra room, makes nappie changes quicker and easier, it isn't hard on our backs because we don't have to bend over to change DS, and it turns into a night stand or end table later.

If you plan to breastfeed I would recommend investing in a hand pump if you are staying home (if you are currently working and planning to go back to work or plan to start working after the baby gets here then I would recommend an electric pump and a pumping bra. They're pricey but well worth it). You can check and see if your hospital will provide you with a hand pump though as sometimes they do (they did for me). This of course is if you don't plan to do a home birth.

If you plan to use cloth nappies you will need at least 25 cloth nappies for a newborn. I would use prefolds for newborns as they fit them better. Save the one size cloth nappies for when baby outgrows the prefolds (basically when they hit about 8-12 lbs if you don't end up with a big baby or if your baby doesn't put on weight very quickly. As a newborn my DS was small but put on weight very quickly and that weight gain evened out as soon as he was caught up to where he should be for his age). Great sites for inexpensive and well made cloth nappies are www.kerrbearkids.com and www.lovelypocketdiapers.com. 25 cloth nappies is also if you can do laundry every 2 days. It never hurts to have as many cloth nappies in your stash as possible though. You can probably get away with spending about $300-$500 roughly on a cloth diapers stash, but in the long run it will save you money and you can reuse the same cloth diapers for subsequent children (if you don't plan to buy any more after your initial stash no matter what your children's genders end up being then I would stick to gender neutral prints and colors).

If you plan to use disposables, don't buy in bulk as the lady above posted. Buy wipes in bulk all you want, but stick to one big box at a time of whatever size nappie your baby is in at the moment at most or you'll end up with more nappies than you can use in that particular size as babies can grow out of a size very quickly, especially sizes N, 1, and 2.

So really you just need to do some research and decide what choices you want to make as far as your parenting style goes. Once you've decided what you want to do as a parent, then look at products that comply with your wants and needs and figure out which prices work for you for the quality. Then add up the costs of those items and viola. You have a rough estimate of your baby budget. You should also always at least slightly over estimate how much money you will need to have saved up to ensure that you will indeed have enough. Microsoft Excel spreadsheets can be very helpful in planning a budget.

I hope that I was able to help. Good luck with your WTT baby budget and financial goals for reaching that amount. :hugs:

Taking in KalonKiki's advice (which is awesome btw), there's a pretty good calculator online at https://www.babycenter.com/baby-cost-calculator. I'm so praying I will be able to breastfeed for many reasons, honestly cost being one. I was able to be breastfed and I have so many stomach issues. I hope they don't get passed on to the baby :( I wouldn't wish all this one anyone.

That calculator is a great tool! Thanks for sharing. I totally forgot about daycare costs because I'm a SAHM right now so I have no idea what daycare costs are like because I've never had to pay them. :dohh:

I'm sorry about your stomach issues, I'm sure that they aren't genetic though so rest assured that your baby most likely will not have them. My DF was also formula fed and he's kind of lactose intolerant and he and his sister were allergic to everything and had problems with their health as children. I was breastfed and I'm perfectly healthy as are all of my siblings. I chose to breastfeed and I honestly think that it's one of the best decisions that I've ever made. It can be rough starting out with a newborn though, so make sure that you demand a lactation consultant every hour after you've given birth until they give you one. I didn't pester them enough and it took them two days to get me my consultant. By then DS and I were both so frustrated and upset because neither of us knew what we were doing and ended up needing to use a nipple shield for the first 5 or 6 weeks. It was really hard but I'm glad that I stuck with it. Breastfeeding really does save a lot of money too as your milk is totally free. You'll want to pump between feedings when you have a newborn because you over produce and your boobs can get uncomfortably full, so aside from the pump itself you'll need breastfeeding supplies (like breast milk storage bags, breast pads, lanolin cream, ect) but these supplies are pretty cheap and you don't need to buy them too often (the breast pads are probably what I ended up purchasing the most often, but you can buy reusable ones that you wash as well so that you don't have to keep buying them).

Also when you breastfeed it is never normal to experience cracking or bleeding and aside from the pain/discomfort from when you first start breastfeeding and your nipples are still adjusting (which lanolin cream REALLY helps with) you should never feel pain while nursing your baby (a strong let down sensation that can be slightly painful or uncomfortable in your breasts is normal however). If you experience cracking or bleeding or any bad pain in your nipples while breastfeeding even if you just had your baby and therefore just started breastfeeding if it feels more painful than you think it should (think so painful you might cry) then it means that your baby is not latching properly. It's normal for newborns not to latch properly as they are only born with the instinct to suckle, not to latch properly. You should see a breastfeeding consultant ASAP to learn how to get your baby to latch properly or see if they recommend using a nipple shield for a while.

If they do recommend a shield, don't bother trying to latch baby without one for the first week on the shield. After the first week though it's okay to start offering the breast to baby sans shield for a few minutes before putting the shield on. Of course if baby takes the breast without the shield then there is no need to put the shield on for that feed. However, if baby becomes frustrated and refuses to latch after trying without the shield for a few minutes, put the shield on and then try feeding. Baby will eventually feel ready to latch without the shield, but it might take some time. As I stated before, I had to use one for 5 or 6 weeks, but I never stopped offering it to DS without the shield first before putting the shield on and that's why I was able to wean him off of the shield. Working with a shield can be a pain at first, but it can also be a helpful tool to keep you breastfeeding instead of getting frustrating and giving up before you've really given it a fair shot.

I think you adjust to what ever budget your have within reason

KalonKiki - great post. Unfortunately my stomach issues are largely genetic - I just have all the stomach issues from everyone in my family basically. Thankfully I didn't inherit the heart/cholesterol issues though! I'm so afraid of breastfeeding, as (tmi lol) my nipples are super sensitive. They are a no touchy zone!

Spicyorange - yeah that's true. People have been having kids in all kinds of budgets forever :)

KalonKiki - great post. Unfortunately my stomach issues are largely genetic - I just have all the stomach issues from everyone in my family basically. Thankfully I didn't inherit the heart/cholesterol issues though! I'm so afraid of breastfeeding, as (tmi lol) my nipples are super sensitive. They are a no touchy zone!

I don't know what stomach problems you have but whatever they are the best thing for a baby's digestive system is breast milk for lots of reasons so even if it can't stop these problems it may lessen symptoms as breast milk prepares the digestive system for life, even if you did just the first few days with colostrum it really helps the digestive system, but of course if you FF any potential digestive system problems wouldn't be anyone's fault. But things like making sure you don't wean until the recommended guidelines of 6 months will be all the more important also (this is one of the reasons there are so many digestive problems in the western world nowadays) :hugs: for what it's worth I also have very sensitive nipples, they are never touched lol I hate the feeling, but babies don't actually feed from the nipple, their whole mouth covers the nipple and it points to the back of the mouth, it is just the tip of the rocket for the milk to come out, it's the areola which are stimulated to produce milk, it doesn't feel uncomfortable to feed for me despite normally being very sensitive, even though I'm 6 months into feeding I wouldnt touch my nipple lol. But either way a baby feeding feeds very differently from anything else. Just for what it's worth :flower:

I don't know what stomach problems you have but whatever they are the best thing for a baby's digestive system is breast milk for lots of reasons so even if it can't stop these problems it may lessen symptoms as breast milk prepares the digestive system for life, even if you did just the first few days with colostrum it really helps the digestive system, but of course if you FF any potential digestive system problems wouldn't be anyone's fault. But things like making sure you don't wean until the recommended guidelines of 6 months will be all the more important also (this is one of the reasons there are so many digestive problems in the western world nowadays) :hugs: for what it's worth I also have very sensitive nipples, they are never touched lol I hate the feeling, but babies don't actually feed from the nipple, their whole mouth covers the nipple and it points to the back of the mouth, it is just the tip of the rocket for the milk to come out, it's the areola which are stimulated to produce milk, it doesn't feel uncomfortable to feed for me despite normally being very sensitive, even though I'm 6 months into feeding I wouldnt touch my nipple lol. But either way a baby feeding feeds very differently from anything else. Just for what it's worth :flower:

marinewag is right, sensitive nipples don't really affect breastfeeding. I have them too and now barely feel anything most of the time when my DS nurses, but still don't like touching them or having them touched. Your nipples and areola also become less sensitive the more you nurse. It shouldn't be a problem when you start to breastfeed your future baby. I was also worried about this before I had DS.

Hi ladies,

wow thank you SO much for your responses they have helped me no ends! I will be breastfeeding a d/or pumping and have been looking at cloth diapers but am such a newbie to them, I am still trying to get my head around all the different types lol. I will also be making my own baby wipes -I have found some really helpful sites with natural recipes etc. Also when the time comes I will be making home made baby food, and I am buying just about everything from new, I know I could save more money that way but I want everything all brand new for our first baby and then we can reuse them for our other children :)

We don't necessarily have a budget, but we do love a bargain and hate wasting money, so we will shop around and research the best products and then keep an eye out for offers etc :)

I think you adjust to what ever budget your have within reason

I totally agree with this. Also...no matter how large or small your budget, just prepare to be the most broke you have ever been in your life. I didn't realize how expensive children are until I had them.

Are they really expensive? My friend told me in the first year it didn't cost that much maybe its when they get older? This is why i want to be financially stable before having one. Its the sensible thing to do.

Babies aren't expensive, you can have a baby to your budget, hand me downs, second hand items, sales, etc etc. It's as they get older they get expensive! Daycare especially or if the woman is leaving work entirely you lose her income, and then there's the activities ds1 has swimming and rugby lessons they costs us £13 a week. I like that we can buy him nice clothes, go on fun days out, treat him on his birthday, obviously we don't *have* to spend what we do, but I like to. DS2 however who is 6 months is getting hand me downs hehe, only because he's only so young, I won't let it be like that for ever!! But he doesn't care he's playing with his older brothers toys and wearing his old clothes ATM.

On average your first baby's first year will cost around $10,000 give or take (not sure if childcare costs are included in that or not). It should be closer to $5,000 for subsequent children since you can reuse a lot of the stuff you had from your first baby.

That seems like alot of money for the first year now am def gonna save more

I bought everything brand new exactly what I wanted for DS1 and spent nowhere near that much honestly, the only difference I can think is that in the UK we have better maternity leave so I was paid fully for the first 6 months and still partly paid up until I returned at 9 months, some of the higher estimates you see are people who need to factor in mortgage costs etc, but in terms of what baby needs even if you bought top of range I can't see how it would get anywhere near that total.

I checked the calculator on page 1 and childcare costs are included in that $10,000 estimate as well as disposable diapers, formula, and pre-made baby food. It can be considerably cheaper if you plan to be a SAHM, breastfeed, cloth diaper, and make your own baby food.

I checked the calculator on page 1 and childcare costs are included in that $10,000 estimate as well as disposable diapers, formula, and pre-made baby food. It can be considerably cheaper if you plan to be a SAHM, breastfeed, cloth diaper, and make your own baby food.

Unless you used to work beforehand I guess in which case there would be a big income drop! We were able to buy what we needed for both boys (obviously didn't need as much second time around) in the months leading up until their due dates, I didn't save for either of them, thankfully our outgoings are low enough and my maternity good enough we didn't need to worry about maternity leave. I will be paying childcare come September but will obviously be working so don't need to save for it as my working will be funding it.

This is what we spent, roughly:
Feeding: breastfeeding- free, except for a tube on Lansinoh and a box of breast pads. DD stopped BF'ing at 9 months and then had formula which cost about £10 per week. That felt rough :haha:. Solids- BLW, they eat what we eat usually and it doesn't cost any extra in the first year, I guess I buy extra fruit and veg so maybe £15 a month?
Nappies/wipes: mainly cloth nappies, I bought most of ours used and spent about £150 I guess. I use disposables at night and buy 1 pack a month, I think it costs about £10. I used the same ones for both LO's. Wipes I use a mix of reussable and disposable. I stock up on Huggies Pure when they are on offer, I never buy them for more than £1 a pack. I guess I spend about £4 a month on wipes.
Clothes: I love a bargain and got a lot of their baby clothes from Ebay. I thik I spent about £200 on clothes for both of them for the 1st 18 months (team yellow with both so we had gender neutral 0-3 month clothes and DD wore a lot of DS's other baby clothes).
Toys: My kids have a lot of toys, far more than they need :dohh:. I bought a lot from charity shops and at baby sales (like the NCT sale) and quite a few new. I thik we only spent maybe £150 on toys for the first year or so. They got others for birthdays, Christmas, as gifts from visitors etc. I wouldn't buy as many toys if I was doing it over!
Nursery furniture etc: We got lots of bits from Gumtree and second hand baby stores/sales. The cot, bouncer, moses basket and swing cost £20 each. Mattresses for the cot and basket came to £170. We used furniture we already had (dresser/drawers/wardrobe) so they were free.

It's hard to work out how much we spent on them as babies- I really love a bargain and I'm happy with 2nd hand items, so that really kept the costs down. We also got given things by people whose babies had outgrown them like a highchair, some clothes and a few other bits. But there are lots of miscilaneous things that I forget about like nursery decoration, medicine, car seat etc. They really didn't cost much as babies though. Now as they get older it is getting more expensive- swimming classes, gym classes, days out and more expensive toys. I don't have a budget for what I spend on them as money isn't tight but I could definitely cut expenses if needed. As others have said if you have a budget you will find ways of sticking to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->