baby coughs...UPDATE on Jayden page 4.

B

Burchy314

Jayden is almost 7 weeks now and has come upon a bad cough. She has no fever or runny nose or anything. She seems happy and normal, but she has a really bad cough.

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help with her coughs.

I am going to call for a doctors appointment sometime today, but I am not sure when they will be able to see me.

Aww, sorry, I have no idea! I would just try to keep the air moist, with a humidifier or something. Poor baby! :(

Does she make any noise when she coughs? Like she is sucking in air afterwards?

^^ yes, that's a good thing to ask. make sure it's not whooping cough tina!!

I am not really sure what a whooping cough would sound like. It just sounds like a regular cough to me, she just does it alot.

I tried to use a humidifier last week but the fan in my room like cancelled it out but I have to have the fan on or it will be to hot for her.

I gave calcough.
it seemed to releave it slightly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCpZD_WXs8

That has the sound of it on there. It's like a little gasping noise.

UPDATE:
Oh no it doesnt sound like that at all. It just sounds like a regular cough that we would have with a cold. I think she might be getting my Dad's cold even though we tried our best to keep her from him. I am calling first thing in the morning to make her an appointment.

Also added to her coughs she has only had 12.5 ounces today (first feed at 6am last feed 9:30pm. Now it is 11pm and she is fast asleep, but will probably wake up around midnight 1am to eat again but I would consider that as tomorrow) which seems low to me. Also she has barely had any dirty diapers today. She had 3 wet ones but they were barely wet and 1 poop diaper but it was only a decent amount (it was hardish and greenish brown kinda like it was hard to get out) She didn't poop at all yesterday but had like 5 wet diapers and all of those were like loaded.

So how many dirty diapers is average for a 7 week old and how much formula intake is average for a 7 week old each day? Should I be worried?

And yes I will be bringing all of that up at th doctors appointment.

You should be seeing 5-7 wet diapers a day and at least 1 dirty one, 2 is usually normal.

I'd definitely mention it to her doctor. Babies get dehydrated quick and it's...not fun. :(

That does sound like a low formula intake to me, though my baby's a month older! Finn usually takes 20-25 ounces a day.

My main concern would be the lack of wet diapers.

hey hun your doc should fit her in the day you call, they have to with under 1's. And if not say its urgent. If she's not taking much milk then try water in a bottle to keep her hydrated. Alex has a bad cough and took him docs and its chest infection and tonsilitis. he has anti-b's now.
It could be bronchilitis, theres alot around atm.
Hope she gets well soon hun, :)
But deffo needs sorting out, not nice for her :(
xxx

hey hun your doc should fit her in the day you call, they have to with under 1's. And if not say its urgent. If she's not taking much milk then try water in a bottle to keep her hydrated. Alex has a bad cough and took him docs and its chest infection and tonsilitis. he has anti-b's now.
It could be bronchilitis, theres alot around atm.
Hope she gets well soon hun, :)
But deffo needs sorting out, not nice for her :(
xxx

No no no no no! Do not give her straight water! It can cause major problems.

Feeding water to an infant can lead to oral water intoxication. When this condition occurs, the sodium content in your baby's body becomes very much diluted and finally the baby's body is unable to function properly. This can lead to an altered mental state, bloating, seizures, low body temperature, etc.

If you need to keep her hydrated, go out and get some Pedialyte. It's perfectly safe for infants, they had Finn on it when he was dehydrated. Do not give her water!

When I was in hosp with Alex when he was 6weeks old they where giving him cooled boiled water, still warm, like his mil would be... like a few sips every hour or so :wacko:

When I was in hosp with Alex when he was 6weeks old they where giving him cooled boiled water, still warm, like his mil would be... like a few sips every hour or so :wacko:

Yikes! Yeah I know it's a big no-no in the US. They used to give babies sugar water in the 60s/70s and they've stopped that because of the risk.

You're not supposed to give babies water until they've started weaning onto real baby food.

Maybe it had something in it then :S

It may have. I'm sure he's fine, I don't believe the side effects are long lasting, just bad if they show up and aren't dealt with! You would have known it something was wrong.

Yes, don't give her straight water at all!!! Pedialyte works WONDERS. Lily was going through dehydration due to diarrhea and her doctor told me to go out and get some pedialyte immediately, so I did, and it really improved the dehydration. They only come in these big jugs and have to be used up by 2 days, so I buy the toddler juice boxes instead (it's the same thing, just packaged differently) and put them in her bottles. When Lily was on pedialyte, her doctor told me to alternate feedings between formula and pedialyte. If you just call your doctors office, you can tell the nurse that you have an appointment soon but are worried about dehydration and want to give her pedialyte, and i'm sure she'll tell you how much she'd like you to give her.

I hope it gets better!

We were told one ounce per feeding, we just mixed it right in with the formula.

If you speak to the doctor, see if they have little 4oz bottles. We were given a pack of four at the hospital and it meant we were able to use it up in a day and not have to worry about wasting any.

We still have a huge jug of it we bought after he was discharged in case he needed more. Thank goodness that stuff lasts forever as long as its not unopened.

Weird, daphne, I didn't know you could mix it with formula!

Also, tina, if Jayden has medicaid, pedialyte is covered as a prescription.

Jayden doesnt have any insurance yet. Damn medicaid is being a bitch.

Anyways I will look into pedialyte.

I went to the doctor and they say it is just a coomon cold and to use a humidifier, but if it gets worse come back.

I think she just had an off day yesterday with eating because by noon today she already had the same amount as she had the day before. She has eaten more today, had more we diapers, and also had a normal poop. I will deffintaly keep an eye on everything though. I have started loging everytime she eats and get changed.

tina if you are charting it anyways then why don't you try babybix.com its brilliant, and you'll be able to tell if at a particular time of day Jayden is having a larger or smaller feed and then not have to waste any formula. It's saved me quite a bit of money, i was always making kaya a 5 oz bottle as she always took the full lot and sometimes i had to make up two but when i started charting it i found that during the day she would have 6.5-7oz a feed during the day and the last one at night she would have 9oz and first one in the morning she'll have about 8. I've started making bottles those sizes now and im not wasting formula. occasionally there is about half or quarter of an oz left rather than 3 or 4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"