Baby favouring one breast

angelbump

Reaction score
Is this normal?
My son is nearly 2 weeks old and is favouring the right.
Its been quite sudden but he has been through a bit of a journey he was tongue tied and had it cut and then had to re learn latch and also had a dummy for 2 days this has been stopped incase its the cause!

Any advice on how to re-establish his latch? The other side is beautiful!!!
Thanks

Is he outright rejecting one side or just less inclined to latch without a fuss?Quite normal for them to have a bit of a preference. Lots of reasons for this, including:
Stronger letdown making him feel overwhelmed
Slower letdown making him feel frustrated
Tight or sore neck muscles from delivery (especially where interventions were used)
One side more easily engorged making taking a large mouthful difficult

My daughter went from not liking my right side when she was tiny, then at about 4months old she started preferring it. It's my bigger side and hurts more before periods etc. so I assume it has more breast tissue and perhaps she felt overwhelmed by too much milk in "righty" and then later on loved that about it!

Another one here who had a baby who absolutely hated my superboob. The right has always been the higher producer and used to spray milk about three feet.

She refused the right very early on, then ended up refusing both in the end which is a whole other story, but with a happy ending as she is still nursing aged 4.

It took a long time and a posterior tongue tie revision for her to finally be comfortable with the right side, but she ended up preferring it and we used that one pretty much exclusively in the end. My 14 month old happily uses both, though was also a temporary breast refuser as a little baby! Having firehose letdowns is hard!

Is he outright rejecting one side or just less inclined to latch without a fuss?Quite normal for them to have a bit of a preference. Lots of reasons for this, including:
Stronger letdown making him feel overwhelmed
Slower letdown making him feel frustrated
Tight or sore neck muscles from delivery (especially where interventions were used)
One side more easily engorged making taking a large mouthful difficult

My daughter went from not liking my right side when she was tiny, then at about 4months old she started preferring it. It's my bigger side and hurts more before periods etc. so I assume it has more breast tissue and perhaps she felt overwhelmed by too much milk in "righty" and then later on loved that about it!

No not outright rejecting he tries to latch but comes on and off and it just slips from his grip and sometimes its like he doesnt even try!
He has the odd really good feed from it and I'm starting to find that switching between the two breasts is helping him.
He's bery handsy and that's a real pain!
Hopefully it's just a phase then and he'll get used to it x

No not outright rejecting he tries to latch but comes on and off and it just slips from his grip and sometimes its like he doesnt even try!

Glad you are starting to get the hang of it and he's getting some good feeds. From what you describe it does sound like engorgement sometimes stops him from getting a "grip" and maybe he's coming off to deal with fast letdown/large volumes of milk. In the early weeks reverse pressure softening of the areola can help babies attach better but you are getting to the end of the stage where that is effective anyway so I think you'll find he probably gets better and better as time progresses.

My DD always favoured my right breast, then around 4 months she outright refused the left. I kept trying to offer her the left when she was sleepy, etc, but eventually I gave up on the left because it was causing too much stress to try and force it on her. She fed exclusively on my right breast from 6-13 months old when she stopped nursing altogether. I had some major lopsidedness going on, but she got plenty of milk just from the one breast. My son was the opposite, he favoured the left breast but not to the same extent, he would still feed on both but I don't think he liked the forceful letdown on the right. After about 4 months of age when my milk settled down he didn't seem to favour one side or the other and fed off both just fine until last week when he decided he was done with the boob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->