Baby gate on 6 year old room

alibaba24

Reaction score
My 6 year old has finally started to look after her things a bit better and tidy her room. However her little sister absolutely destroys it when she's in their playing my 6 year old wants a gate on her room to keep youngest out. I agree poor dd never gets peace from her 2 year old sister but I feel sad for the youngest too. Even though their rooms are beside each other with equal toys I wouldn't let her keep the gate closed all of the time but maybe when she's colouring or building lego etc and dd2 tends to cause mayhem undoing her work. Thoughts?

I can understand where 6 yo is coming from but I think a gate seems wrong. In my mind I think it could really put a barrier in their relationship.

Where else do they play? Is 6 yo allowed in the 2 yos room? Maybe have a rule that neither is allowed in the others room without an invite?

I'm just thinking what might work. I'm due Baby2 and I know I am going to have to go down a similar route for safety reasons, tiny Lego & babies shouldn't mix. DS rarely plays in his room preferring to be in the living room so is will be a major change to him.

I would actually go with the gate if your 6 year old has asked for it. My 4 year old has two little brothers to contend with and is only allowed his older boy toys out when they aren't around which in reality means pretty much never. If he sets his farm yard up or builds something with the duplo it's destroyed in seconds. I keep telling him to look after his toys and then when he does somebody else ruins them. The gate doesn't have to be forever but long enough for your youngest to learn boundaries, my two year old wouldn't listen if he was just being told to stay out

I would actually go with the gate if your 6 year old has asked for it. My 4 year old has two little brothers to contend with and is only allowed his older boy toys out when they aren't around which in reality means pretty much never. If he sets his farm yard up or builds something with the duplo it's destroyed in seconds. I keep telling him to look after his toys and then when he does somebody else ruins them. The gate doesn't have to be forever but long enough for your youngest to learn boundaries, my two year old wouldn't listen if he was just being told to stay out

That's the exact same situation here's my 2 year old will not listen to dd and everytime she builds something it's ruined almost immediately and always telling me to keep 2 year old out her room.

I can understand where 6 yo is coming from but I think a gate seems wrong. In my mind I think it could really put a barrier in their relationship.

Where else do they play? Is 6 yo allowed in the 2 yos room? Maybe have a rule that neither is allowed in the others room without an invite?

I'm just thinking what might work. I'm due Baby2 and I know I am going to have to go down a similar route for safety reasons, tiny Lego & babies shouldn't mix. DS rarely plays in his room preferring to be in the living room so is will be a major change to him.

I would hate that but they do play together a lot in the living room too . Yes so far they have been allowed in each others room as they like although for some reason rarely go into the little ones room

We have a gate on our 5 year olds door, we put it on when we were trying DS2 sleeping in there but didn't pan out, just forgot to take it off, but it's useful for locking the boys in there when they're playing haha, I don't let Ds2 roam around upstairs if one of us isn't up there. Ds1 knows how to use it and most of their toys are downstairs any way, but I don't see what the issue is, ds2 destroys all of ds1's Lego so he tends to lock it if bath time is about to start and he hears ds2 coming upstairs ha.

I would say go with the gate you can always remove it.My son would scream the house down if he was not allowed in his brothers room!
Maybe plan a nice activity for the two year old to distract her from the gate while her sister gets to play alone.I have a similar issue with my 5 year old and 2 year old.

I would put the gate on the younger ones room in case she got embarrassed when her friends were round.

Obviously it's important for them to play together but she needs her own space too

I would put a gate on. My 4 year old has a gate on his bedroom which is mostly to keep dd out. I personally think if a child has their own room they are entitled to have some say over who is in there with them. My 2 play really nicely in dd's bedroom who is 2 but usually fight and it ends in tears when they play in ds bedroom. Each have their own toys and if they want to play in the others room they have to ask. If they say no then i dont make them. They have neutral toys downstairs that they have to share.

I put the gate on her room in the end. I didn't want to put a gate on the 2 year olds room as felt it would be unfair cause she then couldn't go around the rest of the house Wether as the oldest can let herself in and out as she pleases. It's working so far :)

We plan on putting a gate on my 7 year olds room. It's where we've Saif she needs to keep all her non baby toddler safe toys. I don't want her to be shutting her door so I can't hear her and putting a full barrier between her and the family but need to keep the littlest one safe from choking hazards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->