Baby gaviscon help?

hollie69

Reaction score
Hello could any one help me... I have been prescribed baby gaviscon for my LO due to sickiness and questionable reflux ... Problem is how do I give this ... I make feeds and store 3 at a time in he fridge so last nigh I get her bottle out heat it in a jug of boiled water and add 1 sachets of gaviscon... My daughter only drank 1oz with a struggle... When I checked teat I noticed it was blocked ... So I clean hands unblock teat and try again but the same thing happens by this point I was fed up and she had fell a sleep... How can I administer infant gaviscon ... Any tips to stop it blockin the teat or how to syringe it ... Would I do this befor or after her feed.

Any help greatly appriciated thanx H x

Hi,
Infacnt Gaviscon only thickens the milk so that is why it is blocking the teat. You could try giving it to her in a syringe, you can buy them in the chemist for about 70p. That's what I did, It is a messy job though as the syringe is small and so you have to do it several times to give her the dose.

I have been using Infant Gaviscon since Tuesday (although not making any difference...aggghhh).
Anyway, I have found you need to mix it really really well, it takes ages! Otherwise it sticks together in clumps in the milk. Maybe thats why its blocking the teat. You could always try the next size up teat or give as fruity said with a syringe. There is instructions on the packet for how to do this (although i think they say to give with spoon but you could just use syringe instead) for bf babies.

hth x

Try a faster teat, when using gaviscon I had to use number 3 for it to come out as fast as the number one teat. It's a bit of trial and error really to get the right size x

You definatley need to mix it well with warm milk, or it wont dissolve. I havent had problems with our teats and we are still on teats we got from the hospital!

I never had any problems at all with it, and we used newborn teats as well,but the feed was always room temperature, not warm. I am guessing it must be something to do with the milk being warm. You will as previous posters said, have to shake it up really well and/or stir it in.

xxx

I got it yesterday and have found you need the milk to be warm to get it to dissolve properly. I'm putting it into EBM which could be different to formula. :hugs:

Ye it does get a bit clumpy, i just shake the bottle well before feeding and regularly shake it during the feed.

We've been using it 11 weeks now and never had any problems with it clumping. We were told by the pharmacist to always use hot water, which we have done. I know you're not supposed to use water straight from boiling but we're sensible adults so have never had any issues with scalding ourselves. I always put the gaviscon into water straight from the kettle, make sure the lid and teat are on properly and then hold it with a tea towel and shake a few times, it dissolves really quickly then. It holds well in the fridge too.

Cinderella - the boiling water thing isnt about scalding yourselves, it is to stop the boiling water for 'burning' the milk powder and any goodness in the milk. :hugs:

Thanx for all replies. If I syringe it how would I do this thanx

My daughter has been using Gaviscon since her tummy operation 3 months ago, we had to get the bigger teat size but you can mix with a small amount of cooled boiled water and administer with a syringe. We also use very hot water as we were assured the only reason not to was to avoid scalding, it doesn't affect the milk xx

I thought you weren't supposed to make FF in advance? Am I missing sommat?

We used to give Abby gaviscon mixed with EBM, or with CBW if there was no EBM available. Make a paste with 1 sachet with about 5mls, add 5 or 10 mls to that then mix well. We found that giving it a good shake worked (and yes, warmer water/milk) was better. She used to take that 15mls fine on its own through a bottle. You can use a syringe too, but I'd say 10mls is easier than 15 for that. Just scoosh a little into her mouth and let her swallow. If you do it right she will take the end of the syringe into her mouth and suckle at it. It does take a bit of practice.

If you make it up, it can keep in the fridge for about 6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->