Baby Georges Birth Story 11th Aug 09

claireclaired

Reaction score
Hi Girls, have finally got myself to sit down and write my birth story......its very long so settled down with a cup of tea!!!

So I guess it all started the night before on Monday 10th, with a ‘dodgy tummy’ after me and hubbie had settled down after our dinner, I thought it was abit of trapped wind from tea and nothing more. We watched the second episode of House from the night before and then off I went to bed, I was woken a couple of times with the same pain but didn’t think too much of it and in a sleepy daze took some Gaviscon and headed back into the land of nod.

By the morning the ‘trapped wind’ was still loitering around, as hubbie left for work he gave me tummy a good talking to and pleaded with the baby to come out today! I headed off for a shower and massaged some clary sage oil into my tummy, as I had done the morning before.

Hubbie text me at 9:30am and asked me if Id watered his tomato plants yet and I replied saying that’s what I was off to do now, so off I popped into the garden thinking what a lovely day it was, when my mum arrived to check if I was ok and to say she was popping into town in an hour if I needed her. I replied laughing ‘I think I’m ok, I’ve either got trapped wind or something is happening’. She said she wouldn’t be long and would pop back and check on me before she went. In this time I had another spasm, so I headed back in the house and thought Id just check and time them just in case, still at this point not thinking too much into it. I tried in vain for the next hour to time them but each time got interrupted with one thing or another and could only manage to get 2 or 3, of which were 5 mins apart lasting about 45 secs. I really thought to myself, these are too close and too long, they can’t possibly be contractions and decided it definitely was trapped wind!

I phoned hubbie in work and told him what was happening and what I was thinking, he said well if it contractions you’re due another in about a minute (having timed our conversation), sure enough another came along…ummmm now I was beginning to think ….hubbie said to phone the midwife and see what she says. I couldn’t get a reply so phoned the labour unit and explained I had pains that were coming every 5 mins but I wasn’t sure as it felt like trapped wind and I had a lot of pressure in my behind. They pretty much dismissed me and told me to take a couple of pain killers and maybe something for constipation and wait an hour and see!!

I popped back off to the toilet and noticed some streaks of blood, back on the phone to hubbie to tell him what the delivery unit had said and that Id had a show. By now the pains had started to increase and as I tried to talk to him as the pains came I couldn’t talk through them. I said this to hubbie and thought it was time he came home

As hubbie arrived home the midwife phoned me back and I explained how I felt to her and she thought my labour had started and that I should head to the hospital. I told her they were quite dismissive of me when I phoned just a little earlier and she said she’d ring ahead and speak to them for me. Five minutes later she rang back and said that they were very busy so she would come out to see me first.

She arrived not long afterwards and after examining me told me I was 5cm dilated, I can’t tell you how happy I was to hear that! I seriously thought, first I wasn’t in labour and was wasting everybody’s time and if on the off chance I was, she was going to say I was about 1 cm! She said Id done really well to get to 5cms on just paracetomols and that they don’t count!!! I did think to myself at this point that I stood a chance of coping on just gas and air as I had hoped.

The midwife rang the delivery unit again and told them that I was in active labour and it was time to go in, however that I didn’t want to be stuck on the ante natal ward and would rather stay at home as long as possible if that would be the case. They advised that if I could wait an hour I would be taken straight into a delivery room. So that’s what we did…we waved goodbye to my wonderful midwife, packed up the last of my things and by the time we’d finished my contractions had started to crank up a gear and the thought of some serious pain relief filled me with joy!

The short journey to the hospital was pretty intense, but exciting all the same. I was having to sit on my hands to relieve the pressure in my bottom and was trying to text my bump buddy to take my mind off the pain!! Hubbie was really excited and told me how proud he was of me, this spurred me on hugely and we chatted at how our little baby would be with us by the end of the day.

The short walk into the delivery unit was equally as bad as the car journey and I had to stop several times to lean over whatever I could as each contraction came. At one point some passers by stopped to ask if they wanted them to get help!! As we got out of the lift two midwives were waiting for me with a wheelchair as someone had rang to say I was sat on the floor downstairs!! I refused the wheelchair as the pain on my bum was so bad there was no way I could sit down. We were taken to delivery room number 6 , introduced to Marian the midwife, who said she was on duty until 8:15pm, it was 3pm at this point and I thought to myself, this baby will be her before then love!!!

Marian showed us how to use the gas and air and then asked when I was examined last and hubbie said at 1:45pm, ‘oh’ said Marian, ‘we only exam every 4 hours, so I will do so at 5:45pm’. ‘5:45,’ I shrieked to hubbie, this baby will be here before then??!!!’

Half heartily accepting Marians comment I kept trying to use the gas and air but it kept giving me pains in my lower stomach, so as I was getting more and more irritable with it, I ask Marian for some Meptid. Off she went to prepare it, when another contraction came and then all of a sudden POP! My waters had broke, I shouted hubbie to go and get her and as she came back she agreed to examine me now and discovered I was now 7cms – 2cms in 2 hours – Yay! She said that’s good and I was progressing as I should.

Marian gave me the Meptid injection in my bottom and made us both a cup of tea. Within minutes, out of nowhere the tea reappeared! Hubbie was brilliant all the way through labour but the second I started to throw up he ran to the other side of the room, faster than the speed of light. As distraught as I was, throwing up, contractions coming hard and fast at the same time, it gave me a good giggle!! Off hubbie went again to go and get Marian, when she returned she said it was another good sign and delivery wouldn’t be too far away.

The next hour between 4pm and 5pm passed really quickly and the pressure was getting more and more intense in my bum. My friend had said to me on the previous Friday, you will know when the baby is coming as it feels like you need an almighty poo and it’s stuck!! Well after a couple of contractions I cried to hubbie saying, the baby is coming and if it isn’t then I dread to think what it will feel like! When Marian came in next I told her this and she once again agreed to examine me, a little dismissive at the time but thankfully agreed and discovered that I was now 9cm, not fully dilated but very close. The pressure continue to increase over the next 5 minutes and I persuaded her again to look at me and now very surprised she announced I was fully dilated and I could push when I wanted.

So off I went, trying desperately to remember to pant as I really didn’t want to tear, hubbie encouraging me all the way. Can I say at this point, the noises you make in labour are entirely involuntary. I always thought to myself I would try and be controlled and as quiet as possibly but at this point, it was beyond my control and it was purely a pain relief mechanism. The next 3 minutes seemed like an eternity and probably the hardest part but after 3 contractions his head had crowned and after 2 more George was delivered into the world, the relief was immediate and as I looked down I saw we’d brought a baby boy into the world. He cried immediately and the midwife gave him to me, his eyes still closed.

I couldnt believe I was staring at my baby, I couldn’t believe he was finally here. He was perfect and as he lay in my arms peacefully he slowly opened his eyes and checked out his new mummy & daddy.

Unfortunately after such a quick and relatively easy delivery, my placenta decided it was not going to leave me as easily. I was gutted, all I wanted to do was get it out and be left alone with my new family. After two hours of trying, I was told I would have to go to theatre, at which point I became really scared (I’m terrified a being put out and didn’t want to miss a single minute with my new son)! Luckily they decide I could have a spinal so I was prepped for theatre, talked to by numerous doctors about numerous things, all of which was a complete blur and was then wheeled down as hubbie stayed with George.

All of my fear was completely unnecessary and although the procedure was completely undignified and half an hour of my life I would have rather been somewhere else, it was completely pain free and almost relaxing after what Id just been through. I lay there and thought about George and how it wouldn’t be long until I was back with my new family.

By 8pm I was wheeled back, placenta and stitch free and hubbie passed George back to me and we rang our parents to tell them our news.

George D***** born 11th August 2009 5:03pm 7lb

I hope I haven’t gone on too long and it wasn’t too boring it’s actually harder to write than I imagined.

I feel really lucky I had a good delivery and although at the time it was painful, more than I imagined and my ability to cope with the pain wasn’t as great as I thought it would be, I am so proud of myself and chuffed that I delivered him naturally and had the opportunity to experience child birth.

My only comment to any girls yet to deliver is to be strong and if you can’t be make sure your birth partner is. I felt I was dismissed because my labour was progressing so fast, they didn’t believe what I was saying as I wasn’t the norm. It made me more scared than I needed to be because they made me believe I had far longer to go when in fact I was almost there!

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 64
Awe congrats :happydance: he's gorgeous! I bet your so proud!

A lovely birth story, MW sounds frustrating but never the less an amazing birth experience. COngratulations. xxxx

aww hes beautiful, your story reminds me of my own, especially the retained placenta part! lol it is very undignified isnt it ;)

hes gorgeous though

xxxxx

That was a great birthing story!! Really good detail and it really gave me a feel for what its going to be like, thanks for this, and congrats!! xx

I agree it was a wonderful story, really well written and good detail - i was really into it and actually was choked when you got to the end (stupid pregnant woman! lol) ! your little boy is gorgeous, congratulations x x x

OMG he is gorgeous!! You must be so proud!!

Fantastic story, i was willing you on throughout!! Sounds like a great birth too.

We want to call LO George if he's a boy too!! xxxx

Great story :D Congratulations to you both! Love the name George, hes a sweetie! :)

xx

Congratulations, this was actually the best story I've read. My eyes were completely glued to the screen and I don't think I blinked once! I felt like I was there! So so happy for you, he's so CUTE :D xx

hes so adoarble congrats i loved ur story xxx

Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing :hugs:

awwww congratulations, what a sweetie :D x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back