• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

baby groups

isil

Reaction score
I've taken Alasdair to 2 so far. The first was okay, but there were no young babies there so I felt a bit stupid.

The 2nd was a nightmare. It's my local one. I went in and managed to talk to one girl who was really off me but she was polite enough to explain that there are 2 groups within the group: the polish group (who naturally talk in Polish to one another) and the group who are all related. I felt so left out and like I didn't belong.

I know I should try to go to another one as Alasdair and I cannot be hermits forever. Would someone reassure me that the next one I try might be different...even good?

hey hun im in the same boat as you so no help i took my son to one at 7 months old and all the other kids were 2 and 3 so i felt daft and no one spoke to me they were all alot older than me tried a 2nd one and was just the same they were all sat in groups :( good luck hope you find one

I found they all sat in groups too. Expecailly if are/look young.
I carried on going though as at the time carly loved it. I just sat there like a loner :lol:

really hope you find one you like soon honey :hugs: i feel the same, i'm a bit scared taking maddi to one :blush:

Hi, I had the same experience as you. I went to 2 different ones and Erin was the only baby there. Everyone sat in groups and didn't really talk to me, Erin then fell asleep so I probably looked rediculous sat on my own with a sleeping baby.
The following week I decided not to give up and try a different one and it was brilliant. There were 5 young babies around the same age as Erin and 3 of then were little girls. They had an area set up for small babies to lie down and play on soft mats with lots of rattles, bouncy chairs etc. The mums were so friendly and played with the other children aswell not just their own. I have been 3 times now and already the mums are planning a christmas meal out and I was invited straight away.
I was ready to give up but glad I didn't, hope you find a nice one too. xx

I go to a few groups, I am really really shy but just used to sit indoors all day and lily used to get so bored, i pushed myself to go, lily was the only baby their that time, but I was pretty lucky, the mums were a bit clicky but i kind of pushed myself in and lily didnt moan once while we was there! We also go to a baby group and baby sensory classes, which are all free and run by the council, are there any special baby groups new you? Our councils just started these children centres, could yours be doing the same? xxx

thanks everyone - glad to know I'm not the only one feeling like I stick out like a sore thumb at these things!

I'm going to ring up next week (or poss. week after as it's half term next week) about the baby massage classes at our children's centre. Also going to go to another baby clinic just to test the water and see what they have on offer there. I will not give up! Alasdair will be a sociable baby!

thanks everyone - glad to know I'm not the only one feeling like I stick out like a sore thumb at these things!

I'm going to ring up next week (or poss. week after as it's half term next week) about the baby massage classes at our children's centre. Also going to go to another baby clinic just to test the water and see what they have on offer there. I will not give up! Alasdair will be a sociable baby!

If u find a good one let me know as could always tag along with u with Ruby as im sure she would love it x

:hugs:

I haven't tried it,however really want to as none of my friends have babies :(
Stay determined hun!

I love my baby groups! You will find 1 that you love so keep trying. It makes a day pass so much faster. Could you try inviting a couple of girls around to yours as well? That might break the ice a bit.

i'm going to my first on Tuesday...am a little nervous but finegrs crossed!!

i go to three groups and my advice is try and stick at it, yes people can be quite clicky but people are always like that with someone new, i soon got to know people and at the end of the day you won't be the new person for long, and when someone new does arrive try and speak to them x

It does get better I promise :hug:

I have been checking out a bunch of them around me lately looking for the perfect one. I got a list of the ones local to me from my health unit and going to them one by one. The best experience so far was when I arrived a bit early so that I could meet moms/babies as they came in and then it isn't so overwhelming. With fewer people there more people are likely to say hello.

I was terrified of being left out but decided it was in LO's best interest to go and for me to make friends with some other mummies. So for anyone who feels scared that they won't fit in you are certainly not alone. I find the groups tend to be a bit clique but go a few times and when they all realize that you aren't just going to leave/disappear they will start to befriend you. Once you are part of it all though try to remember what it was like for you when the next new person comes around and maybe go out of your way to make them feel welcome.

Good luck and don't give up. It gets better. Plus some of these kids may end up in school with yours.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and it's so good to know that people do actually have good experiences of these things! I was looking at our local children's centre timetable and they have a 'baby club' for babies under 8months so I'm thinking that might be good.

Hayley - I saw an advert in the express and echo for your children's centre but I have no idea where you actually are (I know you're probably nearest to st james in terms of high schools but that is it!) If there was a good one there we could go together! (now I feel really stupid for having no idea about the geography of exeter)

All my local groups are fully booked up-really annoyed as i couldnt book in advance so god knows when ill be able to go. The health visiter kept saying go to the massage one and go to the mom and baby groups, but didnt tell me they are really busy.

that's rubbish Keely! If they're full up they should just make more groups! You only have to book for our baby massage one (at least that what it says on the timetable). Hope you're able to find one you can go to :hugs:

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and it's so good to know that people do actually have good experiences of these things! I was looking at our local children's centre timetable and they have a 'baby club' for babies under 8months so I'm thinking that might be good.

Hayley - I saw an advert in the express and echo for your children's centre but I have no idea where you actually are (I know you're probably nearest to st james in terms of high schools but that is it!) If there was a good one there we could go together! (now I feel really stupid for having no idea about the geography of exeter)

I live 2 minutes from the High school and have never actually been to the baby groups. Have only ever taken Ruby to be weighed at the baby clinic there but always felt out of place as it always seems to be younger women and i feel such an oldie these days as imturning 30 in march! :blush: lol

It's funny how everyone feels in the minority! I don't feel like I fit in with ANYONE! I'm too young to be considered a good sensible age to have kids and too old to be a teen mum! I nearly went to St James...until my parents appealed (!!) to get me into priory (such a great experience!)

I will let you know what the westexe place is like. The group I went to at st leonards church was actually okay but that was the one where there were very few people with little babies. I think the youngest I saw there was probably 5 or 6 months. My friend though is a member of the church and she said that usually there are more young babies there but I'm too chicken to go back...:blush:

Ive gone to some baby groups here but stopped as all the women were doing is bitching about there DH lol and I cant complain about mine so they were jealous lol

aahh just had a phonecall from the lady at the nursery (where groups are held) and shes coming over next week to discuss what groups i want to join and to get me on the list. Theres hope yet, if they have taken the effort to get in touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"