baby habits whilst feeding

SPN1304

new mummy to baby boy :-)
Reaction score
I just wondered what your baby does whilst your feeding them?

The doctor asked me the other day if my LO looks at me whilst feeding him well he doesnt (he is 6 weeks old) but it would be difficult for him to feed and look at me at the same time anyway. He does make little sort of 'mmmmm' noises iykwim and sometimes grips me with his hand. i know its a random thing to ask but our lo was very poorly for a couple of weeks and now i often question his habits espicially if a doctor asks questions about it :wacko:

thanks in advance fir any replies :thumbup: i would love to hear from people.

EJ pinches my boob or grabs my face mostly now lol he used to make sweet little eating noises but hes never really looked at me much lol concentrates too much on his food

She does look at me a lot now but she didn't at 6 weeks, it's only been the last few weeks. Usually only during daytime feeds, and only when she's not tired. If my husband is sitting next to me she'll look at him, she gets really distracted and pops off and messes around! She grabs my boob and seems to be massaging it too sometimes... thinking about getting one of those necklaces for her to play with!

My LO only recently started to look at me, and she grabs my face :thumbup: so cute it makes my heart melt!

maddie slaps me, pulls at my necklace, squeezes my boob, smiles that has to be the best feeling:cloud9: she also plays with her feet or on off on off looking around the room:dohh: its ok if were home but not in public:haha: i end up squirting milk everywhere:haha: oh and the feed 1st thing in the morning she literally watches me get my boob out and tries to pull and grab to get it quicker:haha: x

Ember didn't start looking at me (in general) until she was at least 8 weeks. She looked/smiled at everyone else just fine though. :shrug: Now (at 11 weeks) she has finally taken visual interest in me and while feeding she usually pinches the hell out of my boobs, pulls my hair, or slaps at me. :dohh:

My eldest didn't look at me whilst feeding until 7 months; shortly before he stopped BF so I don't see how it is relevant or important? xx

My little guy kicks his feet slowly back and forth like he's swimming, pulls the hell out of my hair, runs his fingers across the backs of my hands, runs his nails over my boobs (ouch!) windmills his arms like he's trying to take off and gurgles to himself. He looks at me if I feed him upright, but how can he see me if he's laying across my lap with a big boob in his face? 0_o

My LO pulls my hair, kicks, wriggles around, starts laughing and does pretty much anything but feed. At 6 weeks though he did very little and was pretty much focussed on boobie so your LO sounds pretty normal to me.

Is your doctor trying to ascertain if your baby is doing his first social smile? If so I don't think you need to be at all concerned until after around 12 weeks. https://www.babycenter.com/404_my-7-week-old-doesnt-smile-yet-whats-wrong_2598.bc

My LO makes loads of excited panting noises, shakes her head around so much in excitement trying to get the nipple in her mouth that she misses the nipple! Makes very loud gulping noises and then sometimes tries to put her hand in her mouth while she is feeding!

Tries to put her hands in her mouth. Move one hand away, the other gets in there. Move that hand away the first hand goes back. It is like a pair of windscreen wipers. You finally get the breast in there and

a) she tries to put the hand in the mouth with it.

or

b) it has taken too long to get in there and the breast is now dripping milk. So she just tries to let the milk drip into her mouth rather than opening it for the breast.

So I have to remove the breast, place her down and try to clamp the nipple down to stop it leaking otherwise she would never open her mouth. Placing her down normally results in her screaming because I have taken the breast away from her!

I hope it gets easier when she realises where her hands are.

When we are finally on she then likes to hug the breast, and pinches or digs her nails in!

Just popping in from the third trimester to see what to expect - all of this sounds so cute - I can't wait :)

My LO makes loads of excited panting noises, shakes her head around so much in excitement trying to get the nipple in her mouth that she misses the nipple! Makes very loud gulping noises and then sometimes tries to put her hand in her mouth while she is feeding!

This is pretty much what Callie does too!

My LO likes to touch my face and paw my chest. He sometimes puts his hands either side of his mouth, he looks like a little mouse :rofl: his latest thing is to put his hand in the air as if he is saying 'Hallelujah! This is soooooo good!'

Maria makes very loud grunting noises and strokes me chest with one hand. Sometimes she looks at me but usually she closes her eyes.

Tries to put her hands in her mouth. Move one hand away, the other gets in there. Move that hand away the first hand goes back. It is like a pair of windscreen wipers. You finally get the breast in there and

a) she tries to put the hand in the mouth with it.

or

b) it has taken too long to get in there and the breast is now dripping milk. So she just tries to let the milk drip into her mouth rather than opening it for the breast.

So I have to remove the breast, place her down and try to clamp the nipple down to stop it leaking otherwise she would never open her mouth. Placing her down normally results in her screaming because I have taken the breast away from her!

I hope it gets easier when she realises where her hands are.

When we are finally on she then likes to hug the breast, and pinches or digs her nails in!

This is sooooooooo maddening isn't it? I actually thought I might have to give up breastfeeding she put her hands in the way so much! But yes it does get a lot better when they find out that those things that are getting in the way belong to them!

I agree the responses sound so sweet :) Owen does look at me while feeding but he is very mommy oriented it seems. I can put him down and he will follow me as long as he can. He has just started to relax his hands a little and rests one on top of my boob lol.

Mine's got to stick her finger in my mouth for me to suck on while she has a suck. She also wants me to eat bites of her food and suck on bottles when she has them too. :rofl:

At that age, mine did stare at me, or close her eyes. Then the pinching phase--pinching is worse than any teeth I say. On the sweeter side she'll run her hands over the boob and my belly patting them.

mine still doesnt look me in the eye. But i tell you what she does do, is get really cross is we cant get the boob in quick enough which results in a shallow latch ALL the time, and then i have to change it, then she gets angry and arches her back, big big sigh.

anyway, she also does this annoying thing with her finger which goes straight in the mouth and she scratches my lips/gums. I have to hold her or move my head far away.

Still love it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"