Baby hiccups several times a day...is this normal??

Brz04

Reaction score
I feel bad for the little guy...I HATE getting hiccups myself and he has them usually 3 sometimes more times a day! It's usually after I eat something...especially at night after dinner. I've worried myself by googling it though and of course lots of scary possibilities come up...cord compression, seizures, baby may be born with reflux issues, etc so now I'm terrified that the frequent hiccuping us abnormal??? Does anyone else have/had this with their baby?

My son use to get them about 3-4 times a day I also thought there was something wrong as I know it can be due to the cord around there neck but that is very irate I just asked my mw and she assured me everything was fine. I'm sure little one is fine. My son got them just as much when he was born the poor thing it was awful. He doesn't get them much anymore though.

My first child had the hiccups like clockwork every single day. He had severe acid reflux and had to be medicated, BUT he was also 5 weeks premature, which I have always felt was the true cause for his reflux.

But just because baby gets the hiccups doesn't mean that he'll have issues with reflux. I read in an article once that hiccups are a sign of the baby swallowing amniotic fluid and lung development/practicing breathing. Of course you know if we eat too fast, we often will get hiccups, and it just makes sense that baby can sometimes get them as a result too.

I haven't really taken note of how many times a day my lo gets hiccups, but I can tell you my son ALWAYS gets hiccups in threes. Every single time he has hiccups, he gets this three times that day. It is strange, but like clock work, I know if he has hiccups in the morning, he will get them two more times.

Hiccups are normal and they all have them several times a day. They are swallowing amniotic fluid to help their lungs prepare. Depending on baby's position some don't feel hiccups or at least not often and others feel nearly every episode until baby moves. My son was big and breech which is why I could feel them anywhere between 2 - 4 times every day throughout my entire third tri. He also did not have acid reflux and barely ever spit up.

I've been told hiccups are a sign of a healthy baby. They start at 9 weeks but we just can't feel them then so I don't think it has anything to do with the cord around the neck. I probably feel hiccups daily and usually twice a day. Honestly, I don't pay attention to how frequently she hiccups, I just feel bad for her when it happens.

She had hiccups on my scan the other day while she was practicing her breathing. It was so cute but I felt bad for her but was reassured that it was a very good thing.

Mine definately gets hiccups like 3 times a day! Just randomly at watever time. Starts off shallow then gets bigger full on hiccups.

Mine gets them several times a day. I've heard that they don't cause discomfort for a baby in the womb like they do for an adult with hiccups so don't worry about the bubs

My baby gets them a few times a day, she actually had them in them middle of the night last night !
My son used to get them also and he had no reflux issues at all and was fine x

My son had hiccups 4/5 time a day, every day! He did have reflux but I don't believe it's related as I'm sure it's just from practice breathing :) I really would not worry :)

Plus my friend never felt her baby hiccup and they would scare him when he was born, but my LO was so chilled about them :)

Mine gets them like once a day. i read that it is normal and a good sign that things are progressing. i also read that it is because they are swallowing the amniotic fluid. it is like us sipping water all day, we would get hiccups, so they do to.

I've heard that it's very good as well! :flower: I'd stay away from google as it always gives worst case scenarios that also seem to be very rare most of the time! :hugs:

I only get upset when she hiccups and seems to move around after a while like she's annoyed by them or something :haha: so I just rub my bump in hopes that it calms her down a bit. :blush:

Very, very normal.

My LO also had hiccups loads after he was born, up to 4 or 5 times a day.

My LO used to have 3-4 times each day. It is normal, hiccups are due to the flow of amniotic acid in the fetus's lungs. Baby hiccups are an evidence of the baby's right growing patterns. No worries!!

DS used to get them a lot (never had reflux or anything hardly even sick) and this one has had a few that I have felt but they are apparently a sign of a healthy happy baby and it is where baby is swollowing fluid and preparing their lungs :thumbup:

My little guy hiccups once or twice a day. He even had them at my 12 week ultrasound (which I couldn't feel) but I thought it was so cute. I also read that they don't suck as much for them as when we get them.

My LO does this too! The most he's had in one day (that I was aware of) was four times. I feel bad for him. I mentioned it to the doctor and he told me it's a sign of good health so I'm sticking with that :winkwink:

And I was also thinking along the lines of what Twag said :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->