Baby Lead Weaning

There's a book called Baby-led Weaning that explains it all.

The short of it: you don't use spoons or purees. You let the baby tell you when they are ready to wean, usually at about 6 months. You keep demand feeding milk while you start weaning. You offer bits of the family meal to them with only small restrictions (such as low salt, no honey, no whole nuts). You let them work out how to handle and eat it. You don't feed them. They learn to pick up the food, get it to their mouth, chew and swallow, all by watching you eat and learning in their own time.

They don't eat much at first, but aren't meant to. It is about exploring different tastes, textures, and smells at their own pace. They learn to participate in family meals and be a part of the meal (as opposed to eating different things separately). They also tend to be less picky eaters and willing to try more things because they aren't made to eat anything - they get to pick and choose.

That doesn't mean they will eat only junk. We've just started with it and so far my LO has eaten steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes), cucumbers, banana, and sweet pickles.

There is a support thread in the sticky section of the weaning forum. It is a more relaxed and less time intensive way of weaning, too. No messing around with making and storying purees. Nice! :mrgreen:

Yeah, have a look at the sticky in the weaning forum, there is also a great ask a mum thread somewhere.

Have a look at https://baby-led.com/ :D

:rofl: This is why in all the photos of Tabs she is so soooooo mucky looking in her highchair. :)

Fun times, i have a while to look into it still but i was just wondering i reallyt dont want a fussy eater, ive seen it from my sister whos now 16 and as bad as a 5 year old. And im quite fussy too so i wanna get it right!

It is only one comparison, so may not mean much, but I was thinking about it yesterday. I have a friend who has an 8 month old and she has a hard time getting her to eat ANYthing. :roll: There are only a couple of people she will "eat for." She goes to the same daycare as my son and while I was there at lunch nursing him yesterday, the caregiver was begging her to eat her pureed sweet potatos. She was having none of it.

My son, on the other hand, only started solids last week and has already loved all of the foods offered him. He also has a tendency to try to grab ANYthing off an adult plate that is within his reach! Even things he is not sure he likes at first (makes that ucky face) he will continue to go back to and keep trying. I think because he is allowed to choose to do that, as opposed to having a spoon of goo shoved in his face. In the end, he usually decides he likes it afterall.

yeah definately, i can def see the benefits of letting them choose and do it themselves and eating habits start from weaning, they will only get worse if you slip up a couple of times, and forcing them isnt right. It does make perfect sense !

I got very funny looks and comments when I would eat out with Niamh at 7 months ish and she would tuck into 'normal' food.

I really recommend you buy 'The Bible' which is Baby-Led Weaning by Gill Rapley.

Ill keep that in mind, Wont rush into it yet tho still need to birth her first :rofl: haha But def keen to do this!

I hope your "birthing" her goes well! Good luck! :thumbup:

Lol @ 'birth her' :rofl: The Gill Rapley book is a must, it's brilliant.

Lol, no idea why i used that expression, birth her. LOL. send me labour vibes! i want to get her the fluffy nappies! need her here first tho!

Baby led weaning is letting the child decide when he/she is ready to be weaned/start new foods instead of parent deciding for them. We do that with Hunter. He didn't seem interested until he was close to 8 months old, and only wanted solid foods once or twice a day. He wasn't fully interested until he was a year old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->