Baby led weaning concerns

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on the idea of baby led weaning...but my only concern is the choking.

Can any blw'ers put my mind at ease? Are there any recommendations for how to do it etc?

My baby is still a few weeks away from 6 months and we won't wean yet. But what reminded me that I can't keep delaying learning about weaning is that she tried to grab my breakfast this morning- she was probably just playing! But she will probably want to eat in the next few weeks and I will also have to be prepared for that.

Rather than sticking to the 6 months 'rule', stick to when your child is ready. Your child is ready when she can sit up straight, grabs for the food herself and holds it herself while eating it. No holding it for her, pushing it in her mouth or anything like that. Some babies are ready for it at just gone 4 months, others won't be ready at 6 months.

The choking risk is an obvious worry, but it honestly isn't that bad. You need to remember there is a big difference between choking and gagging. Gagging is completely normal, and does not cause your child any damage or distress. The basic rule is to keep an eye on your child, and if your child makes a noise while 'choking'. then it's classed gagging and try not to interfere. Choking is silent and will need help. Gagging is caused by the food hitting the roof of the mouth or back of the throat, and the sound (while it can sound terrifying) is just baby's way of learning how to get food to let go and go the correct way.

There's actually a fair bit of debate that says traditional weaning has a higher choking risk than baby led weaning, as the parent is the one feeding the baby rather than the baby listening and learning to it's own queues on how to eat. On top of that mushed food doesn't trigger the same tongue movements, so once a baby does go onto solids it will often choke / gag more as it's not used to having to chew / suck and thinks food can just be swallowed.

When starting BLW, perhaps try with foods that are easier for your baby to hold and chew on first. Cut up peppers and cucumber sticks are good as they're easy to cut in such a way they're easy for your baby to hold, they're quite firm textures too which makes it easier for your baby to gum on them and not bite of massive chunks from the word go. Tomatoes, bread & banana are very popular too as they're more likely to teach your child how to mush up food in their mouth using their gums and tongue.

Introduce a spoon quite early on too, just give them a bowl of yogurt / rice pudding and a spoon and watch the mess unfold. Don't be tempted to hold the spoon for them or feed them, though perhaps hold the bowl down to stop it hitting the floor ;)

Most importantly, try to be relaxed about it and have fun watching your child learn.

Thank you for your comments.

I do have some questions... I dunno if they are obvious questions but I'll ask anyway.

Does sitting up straight refer to sitting supported or unsupported? I think my baby can sit up straight (supported) but for a really short time...she then, starts to fall forwards a bit and is still quite unbalanced. To me that says she probably isn't ready, right?

I feel inclined to start with softer things like banana or bread rather than cucumber and so on...unless I can boil them to make them softer? I think starting with veggies and getting her used to them makes sense to me. Maybe boiled carrot sticks?

Also, when can they start eating meat? And eggs?

I can't answer everything you've asked, but honestly, I think you have to do what you're comfortable with. Truth is, you will be there with babes to see how everything is going.

Also, I know I've heard mixed reviews about eggs--some places I've read state they may be an allergen while others simply state to cook them well if offered; other places than either of those state to offer only the yolk and not the whites.

Regarding meat, I don't see a reason why you can't introduce it as you would anything else (though it's not recommended to give them shellfish before 1 yr I think)

My LO is 7 mths and she has already tried cooked pieces of rotisserie chicken, seems to like it :) (We eat more chicken than any other meat)

If I were you I would get yourself a copy of the book 'Baby Led Weaning' by Gill Rapley. I bought this when my eldest was about 3 months and read it cover to cover in 24 hours. It's excellent and really clear.

With mine I've done a combo of BLW with some spoon feeding in as they were getting frustrated and too hungry to eat (which sounds daft but is true lol). By the age of about 9 months all mine are/were able to feed themselves most everything. I confess I still spoon feed yoghurts and porridge, mainly as my dog is getting fat enough as it is! lol :haha:

And offering raw veg is often better than boiled. There are more nutrients and they're less likely to bite off a chunk that could cause choking. I basically just give whatever we're having, cut up into manageable pieces. Pasta, salad veg, bread, meat, potatoes, fruit, rice cakes, crisps, biscuits. Anything runny I do spoon feed as I say but I tend not to blend too smooth if I can help it and they soon get used to the lumps.

Oh and anything goes after 6 months apart from honey and whole nuts (again the choking with the nuts)

I actually ordered the book today! Can't delay any longer!

But that is a good idea, the spoon feeding mix. I did wonder if she would ever get too frustrated to eat as right now, not everything she tries to grab will get in her hand, and not everything she'll try to put in her mouth will actually reach her mouth. Hope the book gets here soon!

My daughter is 15 months. We started BLW at 6 months and she's never had pureed food. She's also NEVER choked once. Gagged, yes. She still sometimes gags if she's not paying attention (in fact, she gagged on her banana and spit it right out into my hand in the middle of Costa today! :dohh:). But she really has never choked. The advice I can give is just to trust your LO. They do know what they're doing. If you let him/her at it, they'll learn what's safe and become much more confident with food than if you were spoonfeeding. Also, frankly, spoonfeeding is a much higher risk of choking than BLW. Babies can choke on anything, it doesn't have to be finger food, but they're much less likely to do so when they have full control over what's in their mouth. So I would recommend if you want to do BLW, do it, don't mix it with spoonfeeding. My daughter was 9 months before she understood that food was for satiating hunger. Before then, it's just play. Let them play. They won't be trying to eat it to fill their bellies yet (and anyway, there's milk for that). Btw, my kid is a great eater. She eats curry, chilli, olives, dried seaweed, pickled cauliflower, you name it (only thing she doesn't like is fish). I really credit BLW for that.

Thank you!

Are there any guidelines in terms of how often to introduce new foods, in case of allergy reactions? Or should I just offer whatever we're having?

Also would one start with one meal a day or three? How long between bottles and meals?

Thank you!

Are there any guidelines in terms of how often to introduce new foods, in case of allergy reactions? Or should I just offer whatever we're having?

Also would one start with one meal a day or three? How long between bottles and meals?

If there is a history of allergies in your immediate family (you, your partner, grandparents or siblings), I'd just be cautious about offering that specific food - and probably would seek the advice of your GP or HV about how to best do that. But if you don't have allergies in your family, they can start off having everything you have, minus salt, sugar, honey, and whole nuts (nut butters are fine - in fact, cashew butter and peanut butter were some of our first foods and still a big favourite!). There's no need to stagger what you offer or only offer so many new foods at a time. If you are going to have a food allergy, it will be obvious and it won't be too hard to narrow down the culprit, but food allergies are pretty rare.

What I found worked was just to start one meal a day - for us, it was lunch - until we both got used to what we were doing, then I added in a 2nd meal around 7 months and then finally a 3rd by about 7.5 months. I offered food about 1-2 hours after milk. They don't realise it's for eating at first, so it won't matter as much in the beginning. It will just be about play and texture and tasting things. You'll find what works for you and add in meals at the speed that feels right. I found it was less about what my daughter was ready for and more about getting myself used to preparing meals for her. Even when you're feeding them what you're eating (which sounds easier!), there is extra work that goes into making baby-friendly meals for all of you. I couldn't get away with frozen pizza or tinned soup for lunch anymore as both had too much salt, so it meant having to plan more meals to make from scratch and also making something separate for her on the days when we ate Indian takeaway or something similarly unsuitable for a 6 month old! It does get easier and as they get older, they'll eat more 'normal' food like chili, curries, other strongly flavoured meals and can tolerate more 'packaged' food, like the occasional pizza. But it's a bit of work at first, so go at the pace that's doable for you. I also found that making extra of meals and freezing them for days I just couldn't toss together something healthy helped.

As for meat and eggs, the general perspective of BLW is they're fine from 6 months. Some people only feed egg yolks and not the whites. But we've always done whole eggs and scrambled eggs is a big hit around here! We've also offered strips of meat, mostly roast chicken or beef or some fish, from 6 months as well. It can be tough for them to chew unless it's really tender, but it's still nice to let them enjoy the texture and taste, even if they can't eat much at first.

Its hard cause we started him on oatmeal at six months, but waited on other food for a couple months....i wasnt worried bout chocking cause i started him on gerber puffs which basically dissolves in the mouth! that got him used to feeding himself...then i just cut everything up in lil pieces and cooked the noodles or veg alot so it was super soft...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->