Baby measured 2 weeks small???

SoBlessedMama

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
This question is actually for my best friend--she is 8 weeks pregnant, but at her ultrasound yesterday, baby is measuring only 6 weeks.

They were trying, so she was keeping track of her cycles very closely, but she was not using OPKs.

My question--is there any way that ovulating late could make her dates be off by two full weeks?? I know of course there is a possibility that she is miscarrying, but thankfully she hasn't had any spotting, pain, etc.

Has anyone experienced a growth scan this behind, this early, and had a happy, healthy ending?

She is trying to stay calm until the next appointment, but we all know how hard that is!! : ) I'd love any input you ladies have, and I hope you're all doing well!

My friend had a scan at what she thought was 11 weeks and they told her she was just over 9 weeks, then she went back on Thursday at what should have been 13w judging by the new dates they gave her, and the baby was now measuring 15w which is where she thought she should have been in the first place! I really don't think scans are very accurate for dating purposes when done too early. The baby is just far too small to get accurate measurements.

Hopefully your friend's ultrasound was also just measured wrong, did they find a heartbeat? If she isn't having any symptoms of a MC and the scan found a heartbeat then I really would try not to worry, easier said than done I know as I'm a natural worrier and have worried all the way through this pregnancy and my last one x

Thank you, gypsy! : ) That makes me feel a lot better!!! I'm not sure if they found a heartbeat, but apparently everything looked great for 6 weeks. I'm praying that at her next appointment, everything measures spot on. Thank you for your input!

Does she have regular cycles? Her dates could be out a little bit and then combined with maybe slightly inaccurate scan measurements it's definitely possible to be measuring 2 weeks behind and for things still to be ok. In my last pregnancy I always measured around 10 days smaller and it was because I have a longer cycle and also had a tiny baby. She's now a perfectly healthy petite 3 year old! Hope everything turns out ok for your friend x x

Thanks mrsH--no, she actually has really regular cycles, and was keeping track of it very closely. That's what worries me, because I know she has those dates correct. But, even with those dates being correct, hopefully she ovulated late, and just has an extra small bean in there. : )

Did she get her BFP on time or did it take a few days, after her missed period, to finally show positive?

When I got pregnant with DD, I had very regular 29 day cycles. I didn't temp/take OPKs so I was never sure when I ovulated, so Dh and I just DTD as often as possible. My period day came and went with no sign of AF, but my HPTs kept showing negative. I gave up testing a week after AF was due and figured something was wonky with my cycle this month.

A week after that, my period still hadn't come so I finally tested again and had a BFP.

When I went to my first appointment, going by my LMP, my EDD was January 6th, but when we did my first ultrasound, baby was measuring 11 days behind. Turns out, I simply ovulated very late in my cycle.

Even though the time of ovulation to your period is generally 14 days, the time it takes for the egg to fertilize and travel back to the uterus varies. So, if the fertilized egg took longer to travel to her uterus and implant, then she could very likely be a week or more off of what she would think. My son, at the beginning, measured a week behind my LMP. I was due July 14th, and the ultrasound due date, was July 21st. He was born on July 8th at 7 lbs 6 oz...a very good size. So, it can all catch up in the end.

Thanks for your input, girls!

Bdb--no, she got her BFP right around the time of her missed period, which worries me a little.

I also talked to her again this morning and asked about the heartbeat--they did see it, but it was only 120, which would be GREAT for 6 weeks, but (I think) a little low for 8 weeks.

I'm just really praying all is ok. They've been trying for a while for #2. Pregnancy can be such a scary time anyway, and then with added stress like this, it can get really hard!!

I had another u/s at 8w3d and baby's heart beat was 150. *HOWEVER* the tech told me that anything from 120-180 is considered normal at this gestation.

My first scan meassured 5 dats behind! Maybe shes measuring behind my a week and the meassured wrong by a week 1mm is a lot at that stage

Any updates??? I'm in the same situation. Had an early positive and measuring early. Wish someone had a happy ending.

Any updates??? I'm in the same situation. Had an early positive and measuring early. Wish someone had a happy ending.

Sorry lovely, it didn't go well for me. Hope you get a good result :hugs:

I measured about a week and a half behind at my 8 week ultrasound. I was convinced those numbers were wrong because I was sure of my dates, but my doctor didn't listen to me at all. My next ultrasound, however, I was measuring exactly where my original dates suggested. My doc said I had caught back up! So, I wouldn't be too discouraged.

Scans at such an early gestation aren't usually very accurate for dating. She could possibly be 8 weeks and they measured wrong or she may have ovulated earlier or implanted earlier than thought.

I have recently read an old post on BB of a lady who's baby had a 120 bmp at 8 weeks, the post was from 2011 and all was fine :)

I hope all goes well for her x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->