baby measuring ahead?

lauraelise91

Reaction score
so i went for a scan 12 day ago at what i thought was exactly 6 weeks (by ov) had a scan measured around 5w5d but baby had a nice strong heart beat went for another scan today and i now measure 8w1d and we even got to listen to the hb :) but by ovulation i would only be 7w5d at the most now, i know babys grow at different rates but i have another scan next friday and i am scared if baby goes back in dates i might freak out, any babys measured ahead at 8 weeks, was it back to original dates or did it stay the same.. its a rainbow baby after recurrent losses so panicking about everyting little thing x

Before ten to twelve weeks no dating is accurate, they are trying to measure something really tiny so it can change at every scan. Plus the margin of error is huge. In my early scans I was put back 10 days at my first, then ahead 4 days at my second then at my last early scan was put back again by 5 days. Yet at my dating scan at 12 weeks I was put a week ahead. Honestly it's nothing to worry about. That's why they won't give an official EDD till the dating scan.

What I've read is that early dating scans are the most accurate & they do not wait to give you an EDD until after the dating scan. Most doctors will give you your EDD based off of your LMP alone.

I've never had an early scan but with my daughter I knew exactly when I ovulated. At my 12 week scan (which I actually had at 12.5 weeks), I was convinced they would date it around 11.5 weeks since I knew for sure my ovulation date. They actually dated me forward and around 13 weeks! I was surprised but glad to be out of first tri! Lol.
My girl was fine and healthy and born the day after the due date they gave me! (7lb 1oz so not a big baby either).
So who knows!

Ive had a few early scans this preg and my first scan was dated exactly right to my ovulation date another scan a week later i was put ahead 3 days more. Ive had my 12 week scan and still measuring 3 days ahead. I would have been allowed to use the first date which was the first scan if i wasnt having the nt scan as thats they date they go by and had that so have to use that date.

I had my first scan this time at what I knew could be no more than 9 weeks exactly, and they measured baby at 9 weeks + 5. At a further scan at 11 weeks, baby measured approx 3 days ahead, and at 12 weeks the average measurement was 1-2 days ahead. Everything's going great and all looked fantastic at the anomaly scan. They say it's normal to measure out either way up to 5/6 days, so I wouldn't worry if the dates move back slightly. It depends on the sonographer, the position baby is in when measured and it all works on averages anyway xxxxxx

What I've read is that early dating scans are the most accurate & they do not wait to give you an EDD until after the dating scan. Most doctors will give you your EDD based off of your LMP alone.

In the uk, or at least under our Nhs trust and private fertility clinic, your official date that goes on your pregnancy notes is not given till the dating scans. They only use lmp date up till then as it can be way out if you have irregular cycles. Early scans aren't routine here. Most ladies have to wait till 10-14 weeks till their first scan. I've had early scans in every one of my pregnancies and never once heard they are more accurate? In fact been told how inaccurate they can be.

With daughter I had scans every week from week 6-15 and then every 2 to 3 weeks and baby never measured right on. She was either ahead or behind. By 3rd trimester some measurements were 2 weeks ahead and her head was measuring 3 weeks ahead. I think it's fairly normal for measurements to be behind or ahead. My OB's ultrasound machine even has a +-6 days beside the date that comes up when measuring bc it can be off that much.

Like another poster, I've always read that earlier ultrasounds are more accurate than later ones to estimate due date. My OB told me they are as well.

so i went for a scan 12 day ago at what i thought was exactly 6 weeks (by ov) had a scan measured around 5w5d but baby had a nice strong heart beat went for another scan today and i now measure 8w1d and we even got to listen to the hb :) but by ovulation i would only be 7w5d at the most now, i know babys grow at different rates but i have another scan next friday and i am scared if baby goes back in dates i might freak out, any babys measured ahead at 8 weeks, was it back to original dates or did it stay the same.. its a rainbow baby after recurrent losses so panicking about everyting little thing x

may i know how was your pregnancy going on?

My doctor said that dating scans are most accurate between 8-11 weeks because the baby grows so much during those weeks, it is easier to decipher between days. For example, there is a larger difference (that is easier to measure) between 8+5 and 9+0. Also, they can't curl up or stretch out yet so the baby's position doesn't impact measurements/dating.

I've been put ahead in all 3 of my successful pregnancies (one mmc). Once by as much as 6 days at my 12 week scan. The next two times by 4 days I think. I've always delivered late though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->