Baby measuring small for sure, no late ovulation etc.

Marumi

36, DS 7 and 2
Reaction score
(Basically according to my doc conception happened days after my BFP...which actually must have happened 10-14 days before that..)

I just discovered my baby actually measured smaller than I was told when I had a look at the "Mutterpass". A booklet where my doctors writes down details about every check up.
And there it said: Est. Gest. Age: 8+1, Corrected Gest. Age: 6+6
At first I thought it must be a typo but turns out when they refwr to the end of the 7th week, that means 6+6 not 7+6. Week 7 for me is 7+...so I assumed I was just about 8 and it was not too concering.
This is the second time the gestational age was corrected. At first I was believed to be even another week ahead, so close to 9 now. But two weeks ago all we saw was a fetal pole and no heartbeat. Doesn't a fetal pole mean I must at least have been around 5-6 weeks 2 weeks ago?
So measuring only 6+6 after 2 weeks would be concerning to me.
Also it is completely impossible according to my charting. If I was 6+6 I would have conceived on August 12th...And I already had a positive hpt on the 8th of August, then a darker line a few days later. Also we did not have unprotected sex after early August because I was cramping. Back then I assumed the cramps must mean I had conceived already and my temperature stood elevated.
Doctors also explained that after a chemical you usually ovulate on your normal dates.

To summarize:
Unprotected Sex between the 26th of July and 1st of August
Ovulation normally occurs end of July to August 1st
Cramping and daily pregnancy symptoms like nausea and fatigue or pregnancy discharge since late July.
Temp. stood elevated and even higher than with ovulation (37.1) after the 4th of July.
First + test on the 8th and 2 more positives the days after. I posted photos of the darkening line.
No intercourse at all after the 6th of August.
First US on the 31st showed a fetus measuring 5+6, no heartbeat
Second US on the 15th showed a fetus measuring 6+6 and a heartbeat

So looking at all these numbers...do you think the amount baby measures behind is very concerning? Like I said my doctors treat it like a non issue. They did not want to see me sooner than a month when I think tracking the growth weekly or every two weeks would be a better idea?

Edit: I attached the US Image

Edit 2:
I looked at the dates I had for my son and It is very interesting to compare:

1st EDD based on ovulation/conception: July 27th 2011
2nd EDD based on 1st US at 7 weeks: August 14th 2011
3rd EDD based on 2nd trimester US: August 10th
Born on August 19th via emergency C-Section at 42+5 weeks gestation. Placenta had given up.
= We went from a 18 days difference to a 14 days difference.
Like I said, my son was an accident so there was no chance of later conception. I did not worry then cause I did not know the size was important.
Baby Crampy:
1st EDD based on ovulation/conception? : April 19th 2016
2nd EDD based on early US/ late ovu. or impl.: April 25th 2016
3rd EDD based on 6+6 US: May 4th
= about 9-16 days difference

Attachments

• 20150915_164833_mh1442328960880.jpg
    20150915_164833_mh1442328960880.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 32
I think there is a wide range of acceptable measurements. Do you have a specific number for CRL? (Crown-to-rump length?)

I think there is a wide range of acceptable measurements. Do you have a specific number for CRL? (Crown-to-rump length?)

I think it is 0.88. It is noted as "SSL"

It looks like 90% of pregnancies from 46 days to 53 days of gestation measures .9 cm (but I am not exactly sure how that corresponds to weeks). That also means 1 in 10 measure differently. This article gives a pretty complicated and thorough assessment of how CRL/SSL relates to gestational age and I think they are only counting pregnancies that result in live births: https://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2010_27.pdf. For measurements under 10 mm there is more uncertainty and also around this period. I think growth can happen quickly. Was there a heartbeat rate?

I agree with Eleonora. It's early for a dating scan and there is probably a wide range of what's healthy. What's not healthy is all the stressing you're doing about everything! Try to relax and find something else to fill your mind. I know it's hard - I was frantic with my last pg, phoning doctors, having blood tests, overanalysing results etc and it didn't end well. This time I'm just trying to relax and focus on other things!

To be honest, I can't quite see how the dates work out either. By my estimation based on your HPT on Aug 8, you could be in the 7+ week range now, not 6+6 but remember, if they see 10 people a day and only 90% fit that chart, then they see someone every single day whose numbers don't quite match up. That is why they are so unconcerned - - it is because for them it happens constantly. Since a doctor has no way of definitively knowing LMP or your specific cycle variations, they just go with the measurements. I found the wikipedia page on Gestational Age useful especially because the little graphs show a very fuzzy area in the the early weeks.

I don't know hun, but I think it can go either way.. I've seen so many stories like this and they really can go either way!!!!! Unfortunately for me, I know when I ovulated and if baby doesn't line up with that, I know things will not end well. But that is just me personally.

It looks like 90% of pregnancies from 46 days to 53 days of gestation measures .9 cm (but I am not exactly sure how that corresponds to weeks). That also means 1 in 10 measure differently. This article gives a pretty complicated and thorough assessment of how CRL/SSL relates to gestational age and I think they are only counting pregnancies that result in live births: https://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2010_27.pdf. For measurements under 10 mm there is more uncertainty and also around this period. I think growth can happen quickly. Was there a heartbeat rate?

I don't think they measured the heart beat rate. They only looked at the heartbeat on the monitor but I did not hear it.
Thank you I will have a look at the article.

I agree with Eleonora. It's early for a dating scan and there is probably a wide range of what's healthy. What's not healthy is all the stressing you're doing about everything! Try to relax and find something else to fill your mind. I know it's hard - I was frantic with my last pg, phoning doctors, having blood tests, overanalysing results etc and it didn't end well. This time I'm just trying to relax and focus on other things!
I was not stressing until I started bleeding and cramping lots from the PAP smear. And I am not only stressed but also angry this was done to me without asking my consent. I lost a pregnancy 2009 due to cervical cancer screening. This brings back bad memories. And then I am simply upset they do not take me seriously about the dates. The doctor said she is not concerned about the babies size because she thinks I conceived much later which is impossible. All in all I am really not someone to stress to a point where I can "feel" any butterflies in my stomach or other sensations. The situation is just quite dramatic right now, I am angry but not stressing to the point where it could affect my health or pregnancy.

To be honest, I can't quite see how the dates work out either. By my estimation based on your HPT on Aug 8, you could be in the 7+ week range now, not 6+6 but remember, if they see 10 people a day and only 90% fit that chart, then they see someone every single day whose numbers don't quite match up. That is why they are so unconcerned - - it is because for them it happens constantly. Since a doctor has no way of definitively knowing LMP or your specific cycle variations, they just go with the measurements. I found the wikipedia page on Gestational Age useful especially because the little graphs show a very fuzzy area in the the early weeks.

That is likely that they are so used to babies measuring small. I still think checking on this sooner than a month would be a good idea? Especially since I can be sure baby was conceived much earlier.

Oddly with my son I had a similar situation but I did not pay as much attention to it then. First the doctor's and my due date was two weeks apart. Later in pregnancy he started measuring bigger but they did not want to change the due date anymore. They adjusted it once in the second trimester however. He was delivered via emergency C Section because there was no heartbeat at 42+5 showing all signs of a late baby and the placenta was not in a good condition anymore.

If it happened with another pregnancy then I wouldn't worry. I thought, from your original post when you first thought you concieved, it was around the same time I did, because our dates were similar. You said that you believe you concieved August 1st.
So maybe one is gestational age and the other fetal?

I don't know hun, but I think it can go either way.. I've seen so many stories like this and they really can go either way!!!!! Unfortunately for me, I know when I ovulated and if baby doesn't line up with that, I know things will not end well. But that is just me personally.

I sort of know when I ovulated too. It seems that after the Chemical my ovulation happened around the time it normally does judging by CM and temperature rise. I was charting at the time. I know these things can go either way...seems like I will be waiting even longer now.

If it happened with another pregnancy then I wouldn't worry. I thought, from your original post when you first thought you concieved, it was around the same time I did, because our dates were similar. You said that you believe you concieved August 1st.
So maybe one is gestational age and the other fetal?

I am hopeful that maybe I just start out with small, slowly developing embryos. My son was behind according to my dates but once we had a heartbeat grew at a good pace. Just alsays measured smaller. I was sure when I conceived him because he was an oops and we used protection after.
Is there a difference between gestational age and fetal age?

I hope that everything turns out well!
Thank you! I will likely try to see another doctor sooner for a second opinion and bc I don't want to be uncertain for even more weeks.

Gestational age is more based on LMP and fetal is more based of ovulation

My baby was measuring a week behind from my scan at 6 weeks 5 days. Went back 2 weeks later and she was still a week behind. I am now 13w4 days and about 5/6 days behind.. but healthy! I was CONVINCED my gynae was wrong.. but implantation must have happened later. Not even my temp explains it. Dont stress about it. Everything that needs to be there is there. Just a bit smaller than you thought. :hugs: Congratulations!

Hm, I did consider late inplantation in the below due date which is already adjusted just my OB can not be right since her EDD's day of conception is after my BFP ^^...So conception must have happened 10-14 days before the BFP which is sadly a huge difference...

What do you mean the EDD is after your BFP? Due dates are always after BFP.....usually around 8 months after...
I see you have changed your mind on when the baby was conceived, how did you come to that conclusion?

What do you mean the EDD is after your BFP? Due dates are always after BFP.....usually around 8 months after...
I see you have changed your mind on when the baby was conceived, how did you come to that conclusion?

Not conception date, just implantation... when I looked at my chart I saw my temp. dropped and I had a very crampy night with every possible symptom about 11-12 days after the day I had marked for conception. When calculating my first EDD, April 19th I used the day of conception which assumes an average time for implantation. I calculated again with 11 days for implantation in mind and got April 25th.

Oh and by EDD I meant I calculated back from her EDD and it says I conceived on the 12th of August which is 4 days after my first BFP and we did not have unprotected sex after early August...so this is all very mysterious.

I don't believe your edd changes based on implantation, because that's pretty hard to impossible to determine even with temping, implantation dips can't be confirmed!!!

I don't believe your edd changes based on implantation, because that's pretty hard to impossible to determine even with temping, implantation dips can't be confirmed!!!

WSS^

I adjusted it due to all the combined evidence : baby measuring smaller, the symptoms one night, combined with the dip and positive hpt, temp rise. I can't get any more accurate then that, even edd from LMP is just a guessing game and could be off by days. It was the only explanation for the smaller size and since late implantation actually CAN result in a smaller embryo I find it more accurate to adjust the EDD. OR I could go with my doctors EDD which means I conceived after 2 BFPS..:lol:

If it is NOT that...then my baby is FAR behind and there is no hope because sadly there is no possibilty of later conception.
If you find my theories are not a possibility please tell me what else I can do do to figure this out.

At this point I think it's just a waiting game... the actual BEST way to date an embryo is by ovulation because once you ovulate they typically grow about the same (yes some do grow faster and some slower, but generally it is the same) that's why they always say ultrasound measurements can be up to a week out on either side, to adjust for growth differences and sometimes those slow growers catch up and sometimes the fast growers slow down.
I think at this point as hard as it is, it's just a waiting game.. and I know it sucks I've been there many times!!!!!! I'm sorry you're going through this!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->