Baby Mix up at my hospital!!!

Gabrielle

Mum of 2! Pg with # 3!
Reaction score
So it apparently was all over the news but I don't watch tv so was clueless. But my friend had just informed me about a mix up of babies at the hopsital that i've been going to for the last four years.

It's a smaller community hospital and everyone seems very good there.

But apparetnly a few weeks ago a mother gave birth to her son and a the next day she was nursing him and had to get up to go to the bathroom so handed her son to her husband. He looked down and noticed.....uh this isn't our son.!!! It had been someone elses. The nurse obviously hadn't checked the name band and switched up two babies with opposite parents. It was corrected right after this. The two parents are furious and all and the staff have apologize......

OKay.......THATS scary and messed up. I've had my two boys there and now i'm terrified to this happening to me. I know they have laid off many nurses and I've also noticed they seem very BITCHY compared to how they use to be......

Would you want to switch hopsitals...? Make sure you request to not get the nurse who mixed up babies..??

I'm so cluesless and upset about this all...how stupid can a nurse be....

I don't think you could request specifically not to be dealt with by that certain nurse - it would just make it too hard for the hospital to manage if they accommodated everyone who made requests like this....

The good thing about this happening and it being reported in the media, is that you're actually a lot less likely to have this happen to you now - the hospital and health board will be making EXTRA sure it will not happen again, as their reputation has been tarnished enough!

Changing hospitals now would be pretty stressful - maybe just contact the hospital (try asking for the 'Patient Liaison Officer' or equivalent) and say you have heard this news report and were just wondering what measures they have put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again...

Hope you get some reassurance, hon.... I'm sure it will all work out fine...

Thanks for your advice/input. I know requesting not to have that nurse would be alot...specially because they all know me so well....

I work as a nurse and we've had patients that request only certain of us and I know how hard to makes the job and how nervous you are that you don't do something wronge.....so i guess that is over doing it.

I think i am overraecting b/c i never saw this happening there and the hospital won't give out the actions they have taken so that's alittle annoying..

I would FREAK if another woman was breastfeeding my child though.....so hopefully it won't happen again! Thanks again!:)

Thanks for your advice/input. I know requesting not to have that nurse would be alot...specially because they all know me so well....

I work as a nurse and we've had patients that request only certain of us and I know how hard to makes the job and how nervous you are that you don't do something wronge.....so i guess that is over doing it.

I think i am overraecting b/c i never saw this happening there and the hospital won't give out the actions they have taken so that's alittle annoying..

I would FREAK if another woman was breastfeeding my child though.....so hopefully it won't happen again! Thanks again!:)

I am surprised they don't want to release details of the action they have taken - I can understand them not wanting to say what they have done about the individual member of staff (eg whether they have been disciplined, or whatever) but you would think they would want people to be reassured that they won't let it happen again.

I think you're right though, if you're a nurse you're probably going to read much more into it than your average person. Try not to worry hon...

But keep an eye on the name tag to be on the safe side!

I am putting in my birth plan that my OH is to accompany the baby everywhere. They will just have to get over it as it is my son and I want to make sure that I get the right baby back!

Surely the babies have name tags hon? Don't panic it was one stupid nurse's fault and she probably isn't even there anymore. I could happen at any hospital really. Hang in there hon I'm sure it'll be fine. x

I would still go, and now they are going to be going OTT to make sure it never happens again, and will have more stringent checks in place.

Wow...I can understand your hesitation, but I agree...the odds of them letting that happen again are very, very slim.

Here in the States it's not pretty common practice that the child NEVER goes anywhere without the mother/father or another authorized (by the parents) person with them at all times. Even to the extent that I was left alone with the doctor and a few midwives to be sewn up after my tear while my husband accompanied our son back to the birthing room. I don't think it would be any issue at all to ask that your child is accompanied by either you or his/her father at all times. It could also be an increadibly great bonding experience for his/her father and him/her since I'm sure he'll feel super protective and such!

I wouldnt change hospitals but i can see why youre a little hesitant about it now. They would be really vigillant and make sure this doesnt happen again. Try not to worry xxx

In the middle of the night at the hospital I was brought in my baby and the nurse says "here's your little guy" ummm I had a girl and she is very not blonde :shock: My daughter stayed with me from the on lol.

I would do like the others suggested and have someone accompany your child just in case.

Here the baby(if healthy ofc) never leaves the mothers side, so im not too worried about it.

To me it would feel unnatural to be apart the first days anyway. The hospital i've chosen have a patienthotel which mother and father gets transfered too if everything is normal. There you get your own hotelroom and, the mother and father is pretty much left to their self, but with the assuranse that a nurse isn't too far away if something should happen.

Do you have to let them take your baby from your room? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"