Baby Monitors... Bit confused.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by xpinkness87x, Dec 14, 2009.

1. xpinkness87x

xpinkness87x Well-Known Member

Me and my OH cant for the life of us work out what sort of baby monitor we need or how much to spend. we didnt want to spend loads so that we can use the money on other baby things.

Any help would me muchly appresated :)

2. KateH & bump

KateH & bump Active Member

I've been thinking the same recently.

Two thoughts - cheaper and simpler models appeal as I think there is "less to go wrong?"

Thought two - I have a couple of friends who have said they were quicker to move LO into their own room and into cot out of moses basket because of motion sensor monitors that set of an alarm if no motion was detected (i.e. baby wasn't breathing). They said they could relax knowing if there was a problem, the monitor would let them know.

I personally have decided to wait a couple of months until after LO has arrived and make my mind up then - in the beginning they are in with you at night anyway....and can take my time to decide how much to spend - they seem to range from about £20 to £200!

Hope that helps.

xx

3. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

It's difficult trying to decide as there seem to be so many on the market. For our personal circumstances we decided to go for a video monitor and ended up getting a bargain on E-bay. Saw the Lindum Clarity in Boots for £139.99 but ended up getting it (new) from an e-bay shop for £89.99 so saved £50. PM me if you want more details of shop etc.

4. StayPositive

StayPositive Mum and preg with twins

We've also decicded we would like a video one as friends have said they really help. Apparently it saved them going upstairs to check on why little one was crying, cause you can see, without disturbing them. Thinking about the Lindam ones too. Anyone able to recommend or say no way about them?

5. xpinkness87x

we were thinking of getting a video one but the baby will in the next room when we are in the living room so we can just pop our heads round the door :)

6. Laurn82

Laurn82 Well-Known Member

Personally we went for the cheaper options as i find the other ones a bit 'gimicky'. Its great having motion sensors and things but electrical/battert operated gadgets have a tendancy to break/malfunction and that would probably stress me more than anything (ie, alarms going off when nothing actually wrong). Suppose its down to personal preference! x

7. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Well, obviously we're still waiting to test it for real with baby etc but it has been dead easy to set up, doesn't upset the wifi connection (which apparently some of them can?), has v clear image, is sensitive to movement etc and seems to tick the boxes of what we needed it for.

8. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

We're considering a video monitor as it seemed the most useful.

9. MrsBandEgglet

MrsBandEgglet Mummy to 3, expecting #4

We're going for a tommee tippee one with a movement sensor pad. No video monitor but we like this one as it also has a room temp reader in it and you can pay as much as £30 for one of those alone. We're paying £65 incl p&p off ebay. xx

10. billybump

billybump mummy to my little man

I've got the bt150 I didn't want a video or motion one because I thought it'd make me more paranoid.

11. Bee70

Bee70 Well-Known Member

12. xpinkness87x

i think thats the main reason i wont be getting a video or motion one... everytime an alarm went off i would panic.

13. DueMarch2nd

DueMarch2nd mummy to a little lamb

I just bought the BT100 because they are on offer for £50 in Argos right now and the BT 150 are on offer for £70 right now.

https://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&searchTerms=bt+monitor&Submit=GO+>

We got the BT100 rather than the 150 because yeah the 150 does loads more but I couldnt justify the £20 extra. Ithas a torch and a thermometer and a few extra features but I have a room thermometer so that was un necesary and the other features just werent worth £20 to me. I figure I can spend £20-£30 on a cheapy and get bad reception(most of the reviews on the cheapies say they get a load of interference) or pay £50 and get the bt100 that is hd so no interference and the lullabye feature without having to disturb baby is brilliant. I have had a play around and had my hubby across the room from the monitor and whispering and I picked it up, so I was happy :) I didnt want to bother with the video ones because we have a flat and the baby is in the room next to ours and next to the living room so never far. But I definitely recommend the Bt100 (or bt150 if you decide)!! Just be sure to read about the sensitivity in the manual first. I recomend setting it at 4 (or 5) I had it lower without knowing and I thought it was broke because it didnt pick up every sound and to me it was "cutting in and out" So if you want to avoid that drama :haha: set the sensitivity higher

14. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

We got the BT Monitor 150 from Amazon brand new for £34!!

We had been looking at it- it was £69, then went to £65 then dropped to £49 - at £49 I told OH to order it - which he didnt until the next morning -and by then they had gone down to £34!!! As soon as I got it I got on here to let all you ladies know and I know quite a few of us snapped them up!! Within a few hours the price went up to £58!!! Maybe worth keeping an eye on the prices - it is priced at £58 at the moment on Amazon.

It is very good - highly recommended - and is supposed to be one of the best monitors around.

15. ELSMUM

ELSMUM Well-Known Member

hopefully some helpful feedback. I bought the angelcare motion sensor and it has been fantastic, it has never false alarmed and i can honestly say I would recommend it to anyone for peace of mind. My dd is over one now and I still use it occasionally when she is poorly, she had croup recently and it did help me sleep better knowing that the monitor was on.

I would also say that if you are thinking of a video monitor then they would be so useful - we obviously don't have one because of the monitor we have but would save countless trips up and down stairs checking baby.

Bit of an essay ladies but hope it helps.

16. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

We are getting a sensor mat one as i am the most paranoid person in the world and just know i wont sleep a wink with out one until the baby is about 1!

17. eblondie

eblondie Well-Known Member

Amazon have the 150 for 58.85 right now.

18. DueMarch2nd

DueMarch2nd mummy to a little lamb

:growlmad: I checked amazon and ebay the day I bought it at argos to be sure I was getting the best deal and the bt100 was always over £50 and the bt150 was always over £70!! I never get the right times! O well I love the bt100 anyway :)