baby movements before labour?

rcl2105

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if babys movements slow down before labour, get more active or dont change?

Thanks x

Great question! I'm also very interested!

i wantto know this! as have ben wondering myself!!!!

another question to ask midwife on tuesday.....!

I remember with my daughter not feeling her move much at all once I had actually gone into labour. Might have been because I was distracted by the pain though!

I am a student midwife and can not shout enough that BABIES MOVEMENTS DO NOT SLOW DOWN BEFORE BIRTH!!!!!!!

Sometimes they feel less kicky and more wriggly though because they are getting bigger. The amount of women I see who believe the movements slow down and so do not report less movement is shocking.

I actually believed this myth with my 1st baby and didnt report reduced movement, which when monitored ended up being concerning and led to delivery.

Any change in movement patterns should be reported girls, always :)

Hope youv'e all got happy wriggly babies :) xxxxx

I am a student midwife and can not shout enough that BABIES MOVEMENTS DO NOT SLOW DOWN BEFORE BIRTH!!!!!!!

Sometimes they feel less kicky and more wriggly though because they are getting bigger. The amount of women I see who believe the movements slow down and so do not report less movement is shocking.

I actually believed this myth with my 1st baby and didnt report reduced movement, which when monitored ended up being concerning and led to delivery.

Good to know thanks :flower:

Thanks for that, my mil tried telling me the other day that baby wasn't ready to come yet because I was still feeling kicks/wriggles, I thought it was a strange thing to say as baby should always be active shouldn't it!? X

I was told their movements do slow down, so when I woke on my due date and didn't feel any movement for about 4 hours, I thought it was a 'good sign'.

I was in labour, but my baby wasn't happy. As soon as I got to hospital and mentioned the lack of movement to my midwife, they were all a bit worried. I was strapped up to every monitor they had, I had lots of very awful tests done on me and my unborn baby. I then had to have an emergency c section. My daughter was in distress and very nearly died.

I thought she was fine because I was so far along, it was my due date etc. This isn't always the case!

I'd strongly recommend getting in touch with your midwife if you're ever worried about movement, whether you're 30 weeks or 42 weeks. Babies movements will feel 'different' as the baby runs out of room, but you should feel baby less/not at all.

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancies :flower:

Thanks for all the comments Ladies,
As someone else commented, I was only asking as have been told that babys movements slow down and he will have a "quiet period" as hes getting ready.
He is still very wriggly tho and still get a foot poking out!!

Thanks x

With my last labor my LO would not stop moving the whole time :)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

You have made my day with this post!! My heart sinks everytime i see someone say that a babys movements slow or stop before labour because is is not true!!

I wish all MWs were like you.

THANK YOU :flower:

I've had a few people ask me 'is he still moving?' and when I've replies that he is they've said 'oh, he'll be a while yet then'. I asked my mw and she said the same as My bump above that if there was any decrease that I should call the hospital right away x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->