Baby not engaged?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Maybebaby80, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Maybebaby80

Maybebaby80 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Was at the mw this week and bubs head is just above the pelvis and not engaged, am 38+3 now and this is my first - I thought first babies were supposed to be engaged weeks ago???

Is anyone in a similar position or does anyone have any tips on getting this baby down!?!

:baby:

2. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Some babies don't engage at all until you go into labour! Different times for different babies :)

You're technically full term, but a normal pregnancy last from 37 to 42 weeks so you've still got plenty of time yet for LO to engage.

3. PieMistress

PieMistress Proud and happy Mummy

Hi J,

Hope all is well (!) Bubs hasn't engaged with me either and I'm 39+6 (officially due tomorrow). When I asked the midwife she wasn't at all concerned and said they often engage during labour. I googled it and there could be a couple of reasons why - none of them sinister or anything (ie/ just lying in a tricky position maybe and need the kick starting of labour to move them into the right positon). If you google it there is quite a lot on the net about it and it's not too uncommon.

My only 'concern' I guess is that they might not be able to give me a sweep on Monday if the baby hasn't engaged although I'll need to see what the midwife says rather than believe everything I read online!

Walking is really good apparantly for jiggling the baby into the pelvis, as is going up and down the stairs crab style?! I've been walking 3 miles a day though for the past fortnight and still nothing! Guess he/she is happy where they are!

xx

4. Maybebaby80

Hi, nice to know it is not just me and maybe a little early to be worrying about it!!!

3 miles a day!!! Wow! Am impressed, I suggested to OH that we go for a walk today but the snow is coming down thick and fast and not sure I can face it! Might need to get on my hands and knees!!!

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Don't risk the roads if you're not comfortable with it - it's just not worth the risk of slipping over. Try the stairs or dance round your living room instead :D Far warmer....

And don't worry if LO still doesn't engage. It's all perfectly normal :)

6. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

Flump isn't enagaged either, apprently my stomach muscles are holdin him in place. I've been going for long walks and boucing on my gym ball, so I'll see at my next midwie appointment (Tuesday) if it has made a difference.

7. Squidge

Squidge Mummy & WTT <3

I wouldn't worry, as many others have said, sometimes they don't engage until labour :hugs:

I'm only 4/5ths engaged as of Wednesday just gone.

8. myasmumma

myasmumma Mummy to Mya and Kacen

this lol dont worry it will happen :)

9. PieMistress

PieMistress Proud and happy Mummy

My bump is still right under my ribs (quite a bit of discomfort at times) and i've not experienced this 'lightning' they speak of! I am also sleeping through the night without having to get up for the loo ... which makes me think he/she is still 'free' and not yet 'engaged'.

When I saw the MW at my 38w appt she said she was hoping not to see me at 40w but methinks otherwise!

10. suzanne108

suzanne108 Well-Known Member

You won't necessarily feel different I don't think.

I was starting to get worried about babys head not engaging but when I had my MW appointment yesterday baby was 3/5 engaged...the week before its head was totally free or "floating in the wind" as my MW put it!!! I was shocked cos I don't feel like baby is any lower (even though its only a tiny bit lower!!) xx

11. Mize1982

Mize1982 Mya-My gift from God!

i'm the same hun, have also been walking a minimum of 3 miles a day, at my 35 week appointment mw said baby was at the brim then at my 38 week baby is still at the brim.

its a little disheartening when i've been doing so much walking especially with mild SPD pain to go with it. but hay i guess our little ones just like it where they are and will drop down when they are ready x

12. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

We're 37 +1 and not engaged last time I went to mw! Went on hosp tour today and mw there was asking and said it might not happen till we go into labour. My bump is still really high is yours?

13. Maybebaby80

Yeah bump still feels high, can't say it has dropped at all. Think I m just being impatient - desperate to avoid being induced or having to have a C Section and thought that if baby was not engaged this would be more likely.

Is nice to hear am not the only one though and I suppose it makes it all a bit more comfortable! Girl in my ante natal class due the same day is almost fully engaged and can barely walk!!!

14. sun

sun Mum of 3

Mine didn't engage until labour and it was my first!! I also did tons of walking.
    xx

15. amerikiwi

amerikiwi Mum of 2

Baby still completely un-engaged and lying back-back. She's just too comfortable and midwife says she could very well not engage until labour--no worries. I've been walking, bouncing on the birth ball, pelvic rocking, and swimming with no luck so far. I'm not much help I'm afraid but at least you're not alone.

16. angie-roo

angie-roo Well-Known Member

I was 2/5 engaged over 3 weeks ago. But at my last appointment with mw they said baby was as at the brim again . Saw a consultant the same day who tried to do a stretch and sweep, but she was unable. Unfortunately, she said I was effaced, but baby not engaged at all! Am going to see mw again monday to try for another sweep... so hope baby is more engaged then! I really hope she can move the labour on, cos. Otherwise I am facing being induced right onchristmas.... baby was already estimated to be 8 lb over 3 weeks ago. At this rate I can see myself having an induction and a cs for Christmas. Ho ho ho !