Baby not gaining weight

cadogmommy

Reaction score
I am new here, but looking for some advice on my baby being slow to grow. I have an almost 9 month old that has only put on 7 pounds since birth. He started off in the 100th percentile and has dropped to below the 5th percentile. He nurses 5-6 times a day until he pulls himself off. He eats 3 meals per day of solids, along with cheerios and Gerber Puffs for snacks. He does not seem like he is not getting enough to eat. He is a very happy, active and content baby, who has met all his milestones on time, if not on the early side (crawling at 4 months, pulling up at 7, standing on his own at 9). He babbles non stop and responds quickly to his name.
His doctor is in a panic that he is sick and malnutritioned and ordered all these tests, which have all come back normal. I do not feel there is anything wrong with him, he is just baby that burns off his fat quickly (Both his parents do). I have tried explaining to the doctor that I am not worried about the slow weight gain as long as everything else is normal and she just turns it around to make me feel like a bad mother that is not caring for her child properly and does not care that there is something wrong.
I am at my wits end! I do not want to start stuffing my child full of food so that the doctor gets off my case, but at the same time is the doctor right and this should be something I should be more worried about?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think your doctor needs to get off your case. Your job as a mother is to respond to your babies needs and you are doing that - feeding him when he is hungry, encouraging his language development, allowing him freedom to move etc. etc. You know your child is healthy by how he acts. He has hit more milestones than my LO by far (who at 10 months doesn't crawl, she does pull herself up but can't stand without holding on to something)

If your Doctor thinks LOs weight points to a health problem then it is HIS JOB to know what it is and test for it. If all his test have come back normal what does he expect you to do???

it sounds like you have an active baby to me so he will be burning off calories quicker. then there is the genetics. all my children have been good size babys at birth and have all dropped several centiles within the first year. my girls are still very slender now and i always was growing up. shame i can't say that now lol. my opinion is having a baby with a good weight at birth does not mean that he/she is meant to stay big and they will naturally go to were they are supposed to in the first year then start to follow a pattern x

Is he following the 5th percentile now? If so, it just sounds like he was born big and has found his natural weight pattern. If he's meeting milestones and the tests are all normal, what's the worry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->