Baby only sleeps max 2 hours at a time

Unlucky41

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Our son is 7.5 weeks and still only sleep on average 2 hours at a time at night. Yesterday he did 3 hours then 1.5 hours 1.5 hours and then I hour. I feed him back to sleep and usually hold him for 40 minutes before he would settle back into his cot. I am so so tire and just looking for others to share when did their babies sleep longer or if their baby is doing the same.

During the day I am lucky to get him sleeping in the cot for 30 minutes ao I can eat or have a shower. Every day I hope he sleeps better but he hasn't yet. His reflux seems to be under control and we give him baby probiotics to help with his unsettled tummy. This seems to be working as he only does one poo now instead of pooing all the time. I am just hoping he sleeps better before the 4 months regression!

With our daughter she had reflux and we didn't know being our first. She would very until 2 am bur then slept for 6 hours Straight and then have a feed then slept another 2 hours . At least I had 3 hours continuous sleep.

It sounds very normal to me - hell, Emma is 10 months tomorrow and is waking every 45 minutes at the moment!

Sorry, this does sound normal. All of my babies slept much better once they'd turned 3 months old, and most of my babies slept through the night suddenly, before 4 months old... Even the ones I thought would NEVER sleep.

Unfortunately this is totally normal. My DD never slept more than 3 hrs at a time for the first year of her life, then suddenly two days before her first birthday she started sleeping through. Try to nap during the day if possible and you will survive this!

Thanks ladies in the day he will only nap in the carrier or on me so can't really sleep either.

I am hoping for a miracle in the next few months. Just hopes he sleeps better in his cot! I am such a grumpy mother atm.

I hold all of my babies for their naps for as long as they want me to. When they're ready, usually at around 18 months - yes, I'm serious - they'll go upstairs to their room and nap with their siblings. For the first couple of months, I send my 5-year-old (who doesn't nap) to the playroom and will sleep in my bed during the kids' set "nap time" with the baby sleeping beside me (nursing self to sleep) or in my arms. When I'm sleeping better, and during other naps when my other kids are awake, I use this time as my "free time" and hang out on the Internet, meal plan, write a to-do list of things I'll accomplish after the baby wakes, etc. Or, if baby falls asleep in the carrier, I will do what tidying/cleaning I can while holding the baby. I can tidy the whole house, do some dusting (I use natural, safe homemade cleaners so don't have to worry about baby breathing it in), laundry, counters, and play games with my other kids very easily while wearing a baby. :) One tip I always give people is that a tired baby doesn't sleep as well as a well-rested baby. If your baby gets good naps, they'll sleep better at night, too.

Omg you were able to do that with all 5 babies! Not one was a good sleeper? My shoulders are pretty weak so not sure I can do it until 18 months!
I was my daughters bed for naps until about 10 months then I cuddled her to sleep and it worked saving my back. Can't do it with my baby and a 2 year old. I do take them out in the carrier but get so tire after our 2 hours trip. You must be one fit lady hehe

I just hope he gets better after 5 months when babies learn to self settle.

Just a little update as of last week so 8.5 weeks bub sometimes does 4 hours or at least one 3 hours at night so slowly getting better. His personal best 4.5 hours.

Daytime is a different story in my arms most of the time can't put him down much !

Update to this thread. Bub slept 9.5 hours last night at 10 weeks. There is hope ladies. Makes dealing with his catnapping easier.

Hi Unlucky, just saw this and congrats on your son:happydance:

Sounded like things were normal and glad he's sleeping more now! I don't think my son was sleeping that long of a stretch until 5-6 months:haha:

I think it is prob normal for this baby for you.

Ds was awake every 2hours at night untill he was..... 5months!! Then it was still every 3-4hours till a year old. He still will wake in the night now most nights for a drink of water but hes capable of doing so himself now thank goodness. Hes 3 and a half almost!

All i can say is i feel you. I feel the exhaustion and feeling like it will never end. It does and the waking every 45mins (cause by time fed n got ds back to sleep id be lucky to get that each time) is firmly planted in my brain it is also a distant memory :haha:

Ds was awake every 2hours at night untill he was..... 5months!! Then it was still every 3-4hours till a year old. He still will wake in the night now most nights for a drink of water but hes capable of doing so himself now thank goodness. Hes 3 and a half almost!

All i can say is i feel you. I feel the exhaustion and feeling like it will never end. It does and the waking every 45mins (cause by time fed n got ds back to sleep id be lucky to get that each time) is firmly planted in my brain it is also a distant memory :haha:

When did your bub nap well? Did you do any sleep training or just let him naturally get it in his own time?

I'm so glad to hear of your update! I'm in the before stage right now. It sucks!

When did your bub nap well? Did you do any sleep training or just let him naturally get it in his own time?

He will fight sleep!! Always has which is hard. He would nap though he still has to nap now at 3 due to night wakings which can make things hard as he will only nap in his bed in his room. He has NEVER just fallen asleep somewhere :dohh: we started his bedtime routine early i think he was 7weeks??? He will now go to bed no problems and he stays in his bed even when hes not ready to sleep so it did kind of work. It can be really hard. I am just thankful our dd sleeps quite well or we never would have coped :blush:

I'm so glad to hear of your update! I'm in the before stage right now. It sucks!

Oh just be patience I am sure you will get there. It is so hard though eh you never know when. He did 7.5 hours yesterday so not consistent but I am not complaining.

Naps is still really bad but trying to just enjoy the cuddles atm.

I feel for you. I found it very tough the first few months with my son as he had colic and found it hard to sleep or settle especially after 7pm.

You just have to hang in there and keep trying.

Try to keep the same bedtime routine every night, have some unwind time / settle time. Try to put your baby to bed before they are overtired as it is very hard for them to settle when they are overtired.

Hopefully your baby has had enough to eat during the day and has had the adequate nap time (not too much or little).

Hang in there and try to get some rest yourself when you baby is resting.

Read the info from here, there is lots of great advice that could help you settle your baby to sleep - babyconfused.com

Thanks it is hard when they catnap as when the day progresses they get more and more tire eh. I only really enjoy my son in the morning. He gives me smiles and talks to me. Baby talk Ofcourse. Checking out that website now thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->