• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Baby Registries

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
What are your thoughts?

My sorta MIL says some of her family members hate them, thinks of it as you're telling people what to buy you, it's rude, etc.

But why not? I have 2 upcoming showers, I do not want ANY more clothes for Elyse, I'm drowning in them already, she will never get to wear some of her stuff. But doesn't have that many toys and there are some items I still need for the future.. ie: high chair/booster for her dad's place.

Personally I would rather buy someone a gift off their registry that I know they wanted/will use than buy them clothes or something they don't want? I think that makes more sense than buying whatever you want in ignorance of what someone might need/want. I KNOW those family members who are anti-registry are going to get us clothes.. I'm grateful they're wanting to get us a gift, etc. I just don't see why they can't think my way. LOL.

I grew up in the States and showers and registries were common, never knew anyone would actually find it offensive :shrug: I say make the registry, I'm sure some people will go against the grain and buy what they want, but at least you may get some of what you need :lol:

See they are common here too LOL.. I have a baby registry and I guess my MIL mentioned it to her SIL and she was like ooohh I don't like those because ____.. made it sound like I was rude for having one, but my family had no problem with it and followed it for the shower they threw me! Arg, it's just sooo annoying that there's this difference between the 2 families, lol.

What about instead of a registry per say, you send a list of all the things you already have. That way you aren't really dictating to them exactly what to buy, but they know what NOT to get you.

A friend did this for us organizing her shower and it worked brilliantly!

The 'regirsty' idea is just starting to appear in the UK. We didn't do it for our wedding (asked for vouchers) but got so many pointless gifts of photo frames and candles that we decided that we would register this time.

I can understand why people would think it rude - A gift should be taken as just that, a gift. But, I also think that this way people's money will not be wasted, we've made quite a large list (some 40 items) ranging from £5 to £250 and by no means do we expect to even get half of the items. I think it just allows us to be efficient. Our house isn't big enough to cope with 6 moses baskets and if we do get that, what are we supposed to do with them.

I've had to explain to my Mum that she needs to channel her enthusiasm into the list. Go into the shop, look at the stuff, decide what to buy etc by all means, but make sure she doesn't duplicate or waste anything.

I think they are becoming more and more common because they make sense....wedding lists have been around for years for a reason!

The list of what you have is very neutral, good idea, shouldnt offend anyone. Or how about gift vouchers? You can choose what to buy or keep them till you need something, or collect them up to buy a pricier item.

Baby Registries is the way to go! It makes it so much easier for the shopper and the parents because they are getting items they need....

Just remember you cannot try to please everyone but, make sure you please yourself!

The only problem with the list of what you have is that people could still end up buying the same as each other. As long as there are a variety of things on there for different budgets I dont see the problem, at least the gift will be used.

Everyone who's thrown or is throwing me a baby shower tells me to create a baby registry. The point of them is not for you to tell them what to buy you but rather for them to not end up buying you the same thing. The chances of them buying you the same thing is miniscule, but it still does exist if you, perhaps, decided to register at more than one place. But if it's only one place, the buyers would print out your list, purchase your item at the register and hand the cashier the list to which they scan the bar code on the sheet that'll inevitably remove that item from the list so no one else who prints the list is even aware of the item. I would really recommend them. :)

We have a registry for ours. It wasn't even a thought NOT to have one. That's weird that your MIL would say something like that, she sounds so old fashioned!! As soon as people ask about our shower (it's for me and my hubby), they ask where we're registered!

You should still do it, I would rather buy something for someone KNOWING that they are going to use that item!!

xx

I'm in the no camp for this one I'm afraid. I refused to have a wedding list we got married as I do think a gift should be something the buyer chooses and decides on. I hate buying friends gifts from wedding lists as it feels so impersonal. Hubby and I find the idea of baby registry hilarious and yes, offensive. I understand the reasons why, of course I do and yes we had some things duplicated for wedding gifts, but generally I find people will ask and as long as you have ideas in mind you can give them a few choices and let them pick something from it. Certainly for bigger items such as prams, cots, car seats if parents etc are buying they should buy the one you chose I think. Just my opinion though, I wouldn't criticise people for having them, as they definately have their uses but at the same time if it was my friends I just may not chose something from a list!

Registry is common in the states like some have said... wedding ones as well. This is common to see an attachment to the invite for where they are registered.

Absolutely get one, I just registered on Sunday and I can't tell you how many times I was yelled at by numerous people for not registering sooner. I'm not even having any showers for over a month! And it's not like people HAVE to buy off the registry, it just gives dumb folks (like myself!) some ideas of what to buy if they haven't a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"