Baby Seizures? Can anyone help?

jodi_19

Mommy of a beauty queen
Reaction score
A few nights ago my 3 month old had a seizure. Thank God for my video monitor becuase without it I never would have known. I was getting ready for bed when I caught it out of the corner of my eye. I instantly knew that something wasn't right. I ran to her room and her arms and legs were shaking like I've never seen before. I wasn't sure if she she was choking or not so I picked her up. It continued and he head and back were arched back and there was a lot of drool coming from her mouth. She was deathly pale. What I witnessed lasted somewhere from 30 seconds to a minute but felt like an eternity. When it ended she had no response to it at all, no cry, spit up, anything. I immeadiately brought her to the ER. The next day I saw the pedeatrician and they ran a lot of tests. Bloodwork and urine came back fine and the ultrasound of her brain looked normal. he said otherwise she is perfect and very healthy. She is meeting all of the milestones and thriving. She has also had a souple of small episodes in which she goes stiff, with her arms and legs out and her eyes vibrate back and forth very quickly. The doc doesn't seem to think these small episodes are anything but I'm not convinced. We are going to see the pediatric neurologist in january to have her checked and have an EEG done. The pediatrician said not to worry and I'm trying not to. She doesn't seemed to be phased by the whole thing and I've read some babies have seizures that are isolated events and they never really know why. Anyone have any experience with this?

Some babys have seizures due to a fever, connor has had around 5 since he was born and because of me having epilepsy they are going to test him for that but some babys do have them because of a fever

oh that sounds really worrying! I'm glad your little girl is ok, I hope it was a one off or that they can find a reason for it happening. :hugs: xxx

to add my cousin's baby had a seizure when she was 4 months old, it was a one off and thought to be because of a high temperature, however my cousin had not noted anything with regards to this. For the next few days and weeks they were very vigilant of her and had the cot next to their bed. She is now 12 years old and nothing ever came of the seizure.

Hi, that would be so scary. I had two fits when i was young and they turned out to be nothing, caused by a high temp they thought, hope all is well.

My daughter has seizures. Usually infant seizures don't present with the whole body like you said though so be prepared for them to fight that it wasn't a seizure but instead just some sort of fit. If you look for videos on youtube you will see what I mean. Athenas seizures weren't like that but my friends babies was and they said for so long it wasn't seizures even her EEG for the most part was coming back clear finally it did show though and thank god. Athena is on meds and so is my friends baby. They told me they will try and lower her meds around a year and see if she has grow out of them as babies can have seizures a lot as a baby and child but then grow out of them though.

I don't know what else to tell you but everyone is right they can be a one or two off thing and never be seen again. This can be just an imbalance quickly in the brain or a fever or other things like that. Athenas is probably a constant chemical imbalance as her uncle and a couple other people on her dads side of the family had seizures as children do to a chemical imbalance in the brain but all grew out of them by the time they were twelve at the latest. Hopefully she will follow that suit and not have any further problems. It is scary but remember to not try and hold her down just to make sure she is on a safe flat surface and ride it out. They are usually very tired after them and its ok to let them sleep so just let her sleep and try and go to the ER for an immediate EEG. As that is what will help them know when she is having a seizure compared to when they do the EEG in january as that will be used as her baseline for the most part unless there is seizure activity during that EEG.

that does sound awful for a parent to witness..but keep positive hun im sure shes fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->