Baby Showers - How was yours?

marie1112

Reaction score
A thread in third tri got me thinking of how my shower was really disappointing, and made me wonder how most showers go. Did you think yours was a success or failure? Did people surprise you in positive ways, or disappoint?
My MIL threw me a shower, and only got 3 RSVPs. I mentioned the shower to all the invited guests on Facebook, early enough to make sure they could ask off from work if they needed, in case my MIL took a while with the invitations (she didn't, however, she got them out in plenty of time). Of those 3 who RSVP'd, the most excited person who RSVP'd first, didn't show up. Funny thing was, she was supposed to be bringing a gift with her from a mutual friend who she works with, who told me she couldn't make it. Don't know what ever happened to that gift, but I feel bad for my friend who purchased it that she wasted her money. I don't know if she'll mail it or not. Another girl told me several times she was coming, but didn't officially RSVP, and didn't show up. Only 2 people I knew came, sisters who drove together. I definitely appreciated them coming, when nobody else could be bothered. My MIL must have panicked when nobody was RSVP'ing because she wound up inviting several ladies she knew from church, who were so kind to come to a baby shower for me, who they didn't even know. It really puts things into perspective, when total strangers will show up with little notice, to support you and celebrate with you, but friends you've known for years can't be bothered to even acknowledge the invitations.

I'm sorry yours was a disappointment. I don't know if I'm having one. No one has officially offered. I've moved around a lot and there are very few ppl I consider friends. And those that I do live all over the country so I don't know that it's worth it.

I'm so sorry your shower was such a disappointment :( If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to have one non-family member show up at my shower when it happens in a few months. Real friends can be hard to find, unfortunately. You'd think the allure of free food and entertainment would be enough!

Oh I am so sorry about your shower. It should have been a more exciting time. I do know that after baby is born, most people that come to visit bring a little gift for baby. So maybe that's your hope.

and I know it's not ALL about the gifts, but the support your should receive from friends and family.. so they all should have been there for you

Oh my goodness that is not right. All of the babyshowers I have been to had lots of people. I have not hadnone yet but I will. My family is so big and I keep getting asked if I'mm gotta have one.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. :(

It was so good of the ladies from your mom's church to come though! We are having just a family one. I don't have any real friends that I talk to regularly or that I'd rely on. I'm thankful to have my family though and am just going to be happy to laugh and talk even though most of us don't have a lot of money!

Oh wow, I'm sorry your shower was like that!!! To answer your questions, I'd say ours was a success and that our friends didn't really surprise us, because they're great, but it was still a surprise at how great it was. Everyone local who was invited, minus 2 people, were there. Even my moms best friend came and completely spoiled us! When we left my Dh (it was coed because our friends are all Our Friends) was like, "Wow...that was Really Really special." I am So thankful for the friends that we have!

My shower was great only because of how much effort my mom and sisters put into it. It was a good thing my family is large because that was all who came. Most of my "friends" did not show. But had a wonderful time with those that were there.

No one has offered to throw me a shower, so I decided to throw one myself. Unfortunately, I've never even been to a baby shower! lol, does anyone have any low (very low) budget suggestions?

No one has offered to throw me a shower, so I decided to throw one myself. Unfortunately, I've never even been to a baby shower! lol, does anyone have any low (very low) budget suggestions?

You don't need anything fancy, just food and people are happy! We didn't have decorations other than balloons...one of my friends brought a bouquet of them as did my mom. If you have people that can entertain themselves, you don't even NEED games. We only played 1 (they had a plastic bottle filled with kisses and had people guess - winner got the bottle w/ candy) and realized that games weren't needed! There's also the "guess the size of the tummy" game, totally cheap. Each team can use some toilet paper, string, whatever, to guess. It's pretty funny when they put the string around the mom, lol. The parting gifts were made by my friends. They took baby food jars and decorated them like little honey pots (Winnie the Pooh) and filled them with yellow m&ms. :)

Hugs to you. I am so sorry, I would have felt really rotten in your shoes about that. It was really nice of those ladies from church to attend though! Think of the bright side - now you REALLY know who you can lean on and call a friend, right? That's what I tell myself whenever I feel let down xo.

My OH mom threw me one (due to my family being far away and my mom working 40+ hours a week). It was good, I mean I got a lot of stuff, I only knew my friends and a few others, the rest were people she went to church with. They starting eating my cake BEFORE I was even done opening my gifts, then packed all the food off that part was ridiculous... but other wise it was okay.

That's horrible! My sister threw OH and me a shower on Sunday, and while not everyone who said they'd be there was there, plenty of people were. We had a great time and got lots of gifts. It was exactly what I needed because OH and I seriously have absolutely no friends (my sister's coworkers, my coworkers, and some family friends came)... And OH's relatives have been so awful since we got married, so it was great to feel "loved" for a day and actually have people who aren't MY relatives talk about our baby for the first time ever.

my shower was a surprise! my best friend arranged it with my OH to take place at my house, while she arranged it my OH took me out for lunch and i came home to find some of my nearest and dearest stood on my stairs shouting suprise, blue and white balloons pinned up everywhere, a nice spread of food and a few presents and a lovely cake. it was fantastic!

Oh, I don't know if I will have one. If I do, it will probably be small. All of my fmaily (except for DH and baby :lol:) live in a different country. My best friend here said she'd throw me one but I don't have thaaat many friends, so I don't know how many people would show up.

That said, my really good friends from college, back in my country, are already planning a virtual baby shower, over skype, and I'm only 16 weeks. I am so so so so happy. I won't get presents but who cares??? =D =D

I'm fairly certain one particular friend will throw me a shower in the spring, as she put together two brilliant bridal showers for me. My only request to her is that it not be a surprise. I figure I'll already be quite uncomfortable by that point and would like an opportunity to look my best and be rested for the event. Another friend has coordinated a few showers for different people and is fixated on games. I've asked that we not have "Guess the Poo" though I suspect it will somehow make its way into the day. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->