Baby Showers

Carlz

My 1st baby
Reaction score

When do these happen usually?
And what goes on?:happydance:

I am having my baby shower around 7 months. Its planned for June 20th. We are having it at a conference room and having 45 of my girl friends and family come. I put out a registry at Target and Babies R US. So when my people all get together we will start out with games and we have one where everyone gets in pairs and one feeds the other a bottle with juice and the first pair to suck it all down wins a prize! And then we put little pins in a bowl of rice and they get blind folded and they have to pick the pins out, with the mini pins you can NOT tell if its rice or a pin its so hard haha, the person with the most pins, wins a prize. Then we have one where everyone brings a baby picture of them self and we all have to guess who is who and the winner also gets a prize.
We have a few other games planned out and I can not wait. Then we open gifts and eat a huge nummy meal haha. We also put on the invites "Who ever brings a package of diapers along side the gift will get put in a drawing for a beauty gift basket" and we got a gift basket filled with AWESOME stuff. So its a way to get DIAPERS as well as gifts haha. :cloud9: I am sooo excited

We are getting these invites but with our ultrasound image and our couple pregnancy picture. :D
https://funandsassydesigns.com/images/baby-shower-sugar-spice-LG.jpg

Very cool! I think my mother-in-law will probably organize one for me (she also did a wedding shower -- she's awesome!). In my experience, showers usually involve silly games, delicious finger food and presents. They are usually organized by a friend or family member of the mom-to-be.

they are not as common in the uk as abroad. i had 1 with my eldest but not my youngest as my mum did the 1st 1 but died when i was pregnant so 1 wanted to do 1. but OH and neighbour are doing 1 for me this time.

we are holding it at home as a "couples shower" (so OH and friends OH's can attend if they wish). we are making our own invites and not asking for gifts etc but boots/mothercare vouchers so we can buy any bits we forget. we will have pizza cut through gingerbread men and women and general snacks (may go for bbq if nice).

everyone will be given a "bump" upon arrival (a balloon and some sticky tape) and they will wear it for the whole evening! friends will be asked b4 hand to bring a baby picture and a recent 1 for a comparing game. these are 2 things i am doing but i have a list of games and ideas

*place jelly babys in ice cube trays with water and freeze, give 1 to each guest with thier drink, 1st to "give birth" gets a prize

*perfect baby - write a list of body parts and attributes (eyes, smile, bum etc) in 1 colomn and then have another colomn for guests to write from mum or from dad.

*a-z of baby stuff, write a-z down a page, give guests a time limit and they need to write down as many items as they can of baby stuff to cover the alphabet

*baby advice - buy or make little advice cards with the words advice for parents....... get each guest to write a hint or tip

*how well do you know the mum to be, get mum to be to write a list of 20-30 questions about herself, including stuff from when she was young. either give multiple choice answers or a blank space. person with most correct wins a prize.

*empty the bottle - fill baby bottles with either soft drinks (coke lemonade orange milk etc) or beer (if plenty of men of attending) on go they need to empty the bottle as quickly as possible. (not easy through a newborn teat!!!) but fun to watch.

*wheres the pin go? - draw a baby on a piece of wall paper (go to local DIY shop and get a piece (uk allow you to get samples, they dont know your not testing it against your existing paint work at home). give the baby a nappy on picture and place a cross in the middle where the nappy pin would go. blindfold guests 1 at a time and give them a pen or crayon to place a mark where they think it goes, closest wins.

*whats the food? b4 the event prepare some foods in bowls and cover with tea towels etc. jelly, mashed banana, weetabix with milk so soft and many more. dont allow guests to see them, but they need to put their hand in to "feel" what it is and then write it down. person with most wins.

*hold a sweepstake on babys weight at birth. each guest pays a small set fee to guess the weight, keep a note in a book/diary who guessed what. upon the birth the person who guessed correctly or enarest gets the money. (this was done at my 1st 1 and the person who won gave the money to my son).

there are laods of other games if you google baby showers/couple showers.

i am making small party bags for everyone - going o cash and carry to pick up a box of the candy filled baby bottles, a fortune cookie from local chinese wholesaler and a short poem "from baby" thanking everyone for coming etc.

Bliey Amy you are organised! some fab games there bet everyone will have great fun!

I don't think I will be having one, no-ne I know is very 'babyfied' and don't think anyone I know will have even heard of a baby shower!!

i had most of the ideas from original 1, as i said i wanted 1 with youngest but no-1 wanted to "tread on mums toes as it were". so just had it stored on pc.

bless ya. if you can make it to p'boro when i have mine (looking july time) you will be more than welcome hun. x

I am having a baby shower on 20th June. As I live away from my friends, it will be held at my Mums house in London where all the girls will come around. It will be alot of catching up and food and drink (non alcoholic of course lol). They have told me they are already buying presents!! lol It will just be a nice relaxing event I think.

I also have to have a religious ceremony after I turn 7 months so this will be held on 14th June at my MIL's.

I'm a cynical old hag and as they're not really traditional over here I don't like the idea of my friends and family feeling pressured to buy gifts (they will be getting us loads anyway, so it just feels odd to me)... They sound like great fun though! Maybe I could have one but make it clear no presents are expected? But then people don't like to do that, do they - they didn't at our wedding, anyway, we had looooaaaaads of gifts and money.

The games you guys have lined up sound great!

I'm a cynical old hag and as they're not really traditional over here I don't like the idea of my friends and family feeling pressured to buy gifts (they will be getting us loads anyway, so it just feels odd to me)... They sound like great fun though! Maybe I could have one but make it clear no presents are expected? But then people don't like to do that, do they - they didn't at our wedding, anyway, we had looooaaaaads of gifts and money.

The games you guys have lined up sound great!

I completely agree with you. I'm in the US where it is pretty much a given that you'll have a baby shower and I don't want one. I feel like DH and I made this baby so DH and I will buy all the stuff for it. You know? It's hard to explain but I feel weird having a party with my hand held out expecting gifts. But it sounds like I'm going to be stuck getting one anyways because the family won't give me a choice. :dohh: I think I'd rather just have a big party after the baby is born and everyone can see him/her and that would be that. We'll see though.

i'm not expecting anyone to buy me a gift etc, thats why it says that IF you want to get something a voucher would be appreciated.

i'm not expecting anyone to buy me a gift etc, thats why it says that IF you want to get something a voucher would be appreciated.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to say you were expecting gifts. It's a very personal thing, much like gift lists etc at weddings (what a minefield that was!) and people do get very excited and enjoy them. Just not for me, that's all. Enjoy it!

my baby shower is on the 9th may.

im not sure if this is too soon,but my work pals have arranged it.it will be at one of their houses. we had one last year for another work friend it was lovely.i think everyone chipped in a couple of pounds .that paid for all sandwiches and some cupcakes from waitrose. the lady who was pregnant brought some food and dougnuts too as she wanted to feel like she was doing something.basically everone just chatted and had some food then she had to sit in the middle and open her pressies. it was lovely she seemed to have a really nice day and everyone else did to. i dont really look at it as your asking for presents because you know what women are like as soon as they hear the word baby or wedding they all get excited me included . should be fun fun fun and its a excuse for me to buy some krisp kremes i lurve them ha ha:happydance:

thats ok, i wasnt taking it as a personal dig etc. they are not for everyone. i was really upset at not having 1 for my youngest but as i said no-1 would organise it cos my mum had done the 1 b4, hence why OH and neighbour have said they will do it for me. i'm guessing there will be other games played than the 2 i know of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->