Baby Sign language

Trinity42

Mommy to Mika
Reaction score
Im thinking of teaching my baby to sign. Any other moms out there who have done it before or anyone thinking of doing it this time?

i am definitly doing this
my best friend's sister did this with her kids
and before they could speak they knew what "more" "milk" and so many other signs that they were able to really communicate prior to speech

it was amazing to see an 8 month old ask for milk

we have taught some signs to Hannah and will definitely try to do it with the next as well :)

interseting topic, ive never heard of it before, i think it sounds like a good idea! i would never have thought of teaching any signs to children for any other reason than a disability in the family. but i think im gonna research it now! :)

we do it with our 3yr old and our 18mo old, its a part of every day life for us.. if you have any questions id be happy to help, there was also an 'ask a mum' thread in the baby section about it in July of this year.

I've seen a few books in this in the shops and am planning o. buying one. I know OH wants to try and I've always wanted to learn to sign so we can teach ourselves and bubs at the same time

Hi hun we are defo doing this - i got a Makaton (sp?) book from Amazon for about £2.99 very colourful and nice pictures and very straight forward me and BF have started learning it already so we know it when our little girl is here.

Sorry i cant find a link but try looking on Amazon and i think they have free delivery too
xx

I did some makaton with my little girl but made sure i said what ever i was signing everytime at the same time as signing and said it when she signed as i know of children who have been delayed in their oral speach due to just signing and not talking along with it, there are baby groups out there that teach you and baby it i did one group up to a year old with dd but my friend did sing and sign up to the age of two, i use it in my work sometimes too so was really useful to learn

hi there i think its fab if speach is used at the same time as already mentioned above, i have known it to effect the speach if only sign langauge is used...one boy i know is 2 and half and only saying a handful of words so in the long run it has made more work for the child who is now learning words, but if speach and sign language is used its great! xx

so what are the best books as I'd be interested in this

im really interested in doing this, ive bought a book with dvd's and flash cards already to do it. :) i'm ahead of my OH as far as knowing the alphabet, but i dont know how far thats really going to be used! i havent really dived into it yet

Love this discussion!

I love all your comments regarding signing with young children. Every parent should sign with their baby! Remember to sign the word as you say it and to use keys American Sign Language signs to narrate your child’s world! Keep on sharing!

Cheers,

Sara Bingham, author of The Baby Signing Book
WeeHands Baby Sign Language Inc.

i've done my UK level 1 signing and would love to do my level 2. i found the whole experience amazing, and would love to do the same with my baby. whether i'll do it straight away or wait until they are a bit older i don't know, but i do think it's a useful skill.

abz xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->