Baby sign???

Sweetie

DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of doing baby sign? Does anyone already do it. I am missing my book (I had bought one) and would really like to get started. Does anyone know of any good sites for info or have any advice/ideas that they wouldn't mind sharing.

Are we supposed to sign everything in basics to start or only one or two signs. I was thinking of doing signs for "dog" when we go to let them out and food/drink before giving a bottle... Would I be on the right track or ????

www.[B]sing[/B]andsign.com/ this website has some good info

we've signed with rhys for about a year, just simple signs to start with, express one word in each sentance vocally and signing it slower. then building up the vocab,

we also go to sing and sign classes and i also sign to my 4 months old, she watches my hands all the time

we started with simple:

yes
no
more
finished
milk

along with

mummy
daddy
cat

Thanks for the advice. I will check that site out and hopefully get started soon.

How do you know that they are understanding or ready for more?

we signed the simple ones mentioned above for around 3 months before moving onto any more. rhys started signing back, not all the time but sometimes and thats when we moved onto things like vegetables,vehicales and animals

I was going to try doing this but i thought it would be complicated to do...i was watching it on the baby channel on Sky...Tezzy you have given me hope:)

its not complicated at all... all you need to remember to do is empasize one word in the sentance and do the sign whilst you say it.

'do you want some more' and do the sign

it takes patience because they wont sign back to you or even acknowledge that you are doing it!

my heart still jumps a beat when rhys tells me he wants food or his nappy changing!

I'd second that. I've been signing since they were 6 months old and wish I'd started sooner. We used the sing and sign DVD as a starter.

I think "duck" was probably the first thing they signed. Not especially helpful :lol: but at least you know they are following. Now they can pick up signs really quickly and use them as they attempt words.

"Please" was probably the 2nd word. It might not sound useful, but it stopped Charlotte from doing an ear-piercing screech whenever she wanted something.

Things like "more", "all gone/finished" and "hungry" are handy and easy to learn. You just have to perservere with it even if you don't get anything back for a while.

I just follow their lead when trying to work out what to teach them next. They know lots of animals and things like "teddy bear" and "tractor" as they are things they like.

It doesn't always work though. I was really excited the other day when Charlotte came towards me dragging the change mat. She said "poo" and signed "change nappy". She laid down on the mat really nicely. I opened her nappy and .... dry as a bone. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"