Baby sleeping outside

BabyViking

Reaction score
My little girl is snoozing right now outside in her pram. It made me wonder if this is also done outside of scandinavia. I live just on the border to the arctic circle, so it can get pretty chilly here, but as long as they are dressed right and packed well in their duvets they stay nice and warm. I find that she tends to sleep longer outside than in her cot for naps. Probebly due to the fresh air.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone do this too?

I dont and wouldnt! I live in the uk and i think of anyone was caught doing that here social services would have a lot to say

Do you mean cause you're out for a walk or have you put her outside while you're inside?

In the UK it was a fairly common practice to put babies in the garden to sleep, about 30 years ago. Nowadays it wouldn't be considered safe and is potentially illegal if they're alone.

I mean leave her outside in the garden.

I found a link explaining this practise.

https://www.treehugger.com/culture/let-sleeping-babies-lie-chilly-temps-build-tough-nordic-tots.html

I just want to add that you put them near a window in the room where you are going to be, and open the window if you dont have a baby monitor. They are always in your sight, and never just put somewhere that you cant see.

if LO falls asleep while we are out walking then i leave her outside, make a cuppa, grab a book & go sit with her. Xx

I know our Grandmas etc used to do it, but not anymore. As log as it isn't freezing, am you can see/hear baby at all times, I guess it's ok. :)

when Ellie was younger and in the summer/autumn we used to do it, Im sure that there are many people do it and if the social services deal with this alot thats prob why they miss on on actual problems that they should be dealing with xx

But what is it that makes you abslutely not want to do it? Is it just the fact that they are outside, or is it becouse someone might take them?

Yes I did earlier in the year, it's probably too windy now though. I live on an island in the middle of nowhere with 120 residents and 3 ferries a week plus I can see the buggy out of the kitchen window - I'm not expecting a visit from SS anytime soon! I have a friend who has an enclosed back garden in Edinburgh who does this too though:shrug:

I cannot believe some people think social services would care! LOL

Yes I have done it, if i go for a walk and he falls asleep and is all wrapped up then i will wheel him around into the garden and sit by the patio doors in the lounge with the door slightly open so i can see and hear him. I don't do it all the while but i wouldnt see the problem if someone did as long as they werent out there naked in the snow while their mom had a bath who cares!

But what is it that makes you abslutely not want to do it? Is it just the fact that they are outside, or is it becouse someone might take them?

when jake was younger, i was so paranoid if i weren't in the same room as him. i just felt like i needed him near me all the time. i couldn't imagine leaving him in the garden.

that's just me though :flower:

I'll be honest I have done on days when I can't get out for one reason or another I will put LO in pushchair and let him sleep in the back garden, I'm always either in the garden or at least in the kitchen which overlooks the garden and he is placed near the back door

I didn't realise it was frowned upon to be honest, if the weather was too bad wouldn't but I felt it was good to get some fresh air weather permitting

we have a high walled garden and a locked back gate and in summer I would leave her outside for 20-30mins in the shade as she loved it. (I would be in kitchen where I can see the garden) Wouldn't leave her anywhere where she wasnt in view, or in a garden where other people could see in.

Yes I have done it, if i go for a walk and he falls asleep and is all wrapped up then i will wheel him around into the garden and sit by the patio doors in the lounge with the door slightly open so i can see and hear him. I don't do it all the while but i wouldnt see the problem if someone did as long as they werent out there naked in the snow while their mom had a bath who cares!

yeah I didnt think that the social services were too bothered, we have monitor I put in the pram lol and keep looking out the window xx

:rofl:

One of the reasons I bought a moses basket and hood was so that we could sit out in the garden together. I wouldn't leave her here as we don't have a private garden but if she was in my own backyard I wouldn't worry too much about letting her snooze out there if I could keep an eye on her. I think fresh air is good for babies.

If I had a garden, yes I would do it. Its great for babies to have fresh air. As long as they are safe and watched, I dont really see it as any different than a toddler in the back garden. Why on earth would it be a matter for social services?

You know its funny, we all think that abduction of babies/peadaphiles etc. is worse now than ever, when actually its not different, its just 1) Reported by the media much, much more, and 2) with the internet it provides a medium for peadophilia which they can get caught more easily. Both my Mum and I had people approach us when we were younger, which in hind sight were attempts of 'something'. Nothing changes.

Personally I think its ridiculous to suggest social services would get involved for leaving your baby appropriately dressed and wrapped up in their buggy in your back garden when you're at home with them.

I don't do it myself often as my LO is in the habit of being rocked to sleep in the meitai or fed to sleep on the bed, however if we've been out for a walk and she's dozed off I leave her in our secure back garden still all wrapped up and I potter about in the lounge so I can see her out patio door and check her regularly to make sure she's still snug :thumbup:

As some of the others have said it used to be common practice here in the UK ... it was considered good for the LOs to get some fresh air and, as you say, babies often sleep better :flower:

It really went out of fashion when people stopped using big coach built prams in favour of modern buggies that fit in cars.

Back in the 60's when everyone used prams where the baby was snug, warm and completely protected (like the one below which I use for my grandchildren) it was the norm to pop them outside in the garden for an hour's sleep, but modern buggies really aren't suited to it so it went out of fashion and is now regarded with horror LOL

I used to do it with my own children back in the 90's, but I was unusual in that I too had what us oldies refer to as a 'proper pram' :winkwink:

https://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af263/MarieBriscombe/Prams009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->