Baby sleeping outside

If it was secure and I could see, possibly. However we live out on the outskirts of town in a small village and there are lots of fields around and we have foxes that come by the house so I wouldnt leave him on his own.

I live in USA in the north it gets pretty cold here. Is this a thing that is common to your country and region? I personally wouldn't, heck here someone would call Child Protective Services and there would be legal repercussions. However, in your country/region, maybe this is acceptable. Is it cool there year round?

It is extreemly common across all of scandinavia. I dont think we have the mentality that people from other countries have, that someone could swoop in and steal our babies. I cant explain why. I have anly heard of one insident of someone stealing a buggy, and that was some dement person in Denmark who parked it a few streets down after napping it.
I once read about this danish couple who lived in New York, who were arrested after leaving their baby outside a coffee shop while they were inside.
Personally I would never do this outside the nordic countries.
And yeah its pretty cold here. I think it is what you call sub arctic climate or something. During the summer the temperature is about 10-15 degrees celcius. During the winter it can be anywhere from -10 - 6 degrees celcius. But it is all about how you dress them. I dont have one of those old fashioned buggies, but I use a special sleeping bag made for sleeping outside. I never put her out if it is too windy or snowing/raining, as it is not a weather proof buggy. But if the weather is like it has been today, like mildly breezy and 3 degrees, there is no problem.
I have found certain countries to be very closed minded about practices different from theirs and immediately offer their opinion about why it's wrong and you're a bad parent. ;)
I've heard of it living in Canada and as long as they're properly supervised as they are inside the home and sleep better, I don't see what the problem is... In fact I might try it.
We have a fenced garden and two dogs trained in protection, if anyone wants to swoop down and take our baby without being noticed, it won't be easy for them :blush:

Hmmm, maybe i've missed a post but i've only have seen one negative (sort of negative) comment and that person was from the UK. I am from the US and i honestly have no issue with it as long as you can see and hear baby. Which everyone on here practicing it can and does do this. So no issues. If SS wouldn't swoop down and get involved i would do this as well. But we are also big outside nature kind of people. :flower:

It's not a common practice in New Zealand, but I have read about it in a lot of those trashy Catherine Cookson novels lol!

I haven't done it myself but have no issues with it. I'd probably just worry that I'd get bird poo all over the pram.

https://www.babble.com/baby/baby-health-and-safety/baby-sleep-parenting-wisdom-scandinavia/

Love this article!! But I'm curious, what's the danger with strawberries??

I live in USA in the north it gets pretty cold here. Is this a thing that is common to your country and region? I personally wouldn't, heck here someone would call Child Protective Services and there would be legal repercussions. However, in your country/region, maybe this is acceptable. Is it cool there year round?

It is extreemly common across all of scandinavia. I dont think we have the mentality that people from other countries have, that someone could swoop in and steal our babies. I cant explain why. I have anly heard of one insident of someone stealing a buggy, and that was some dement person in Denmark who parked it a few streets down after napping it.
I once read about this danish couple who lived in New York, who were arrested after leaving their baby outside a coffee shop while they were inside.
Personally I would never do this outside the nordic countries.
And yeah its pretty cold here. I think it is what you call sub arctic climate or something. During the summer the temperature is about 10-15 degrees celcius. During the winter it can be anywhere from -10 - 6 degrees celcius. But it is all about how you dress them. I dont have one of those old fashioned buggies, but I use a special sleeping bag made for sleeping outside. I never put her out if it is too windy or snowing/raining, as it is not a weather proof buggy. But if the weather is like it has been today, like mildly breezy and 3 degrees, there is no problem.
I have found certain countries to be very closed minded about practices different from theirs and immediately offer their opinion about why it's wrong and you're a bad parent. ;)
I've heard of it living in Canada and as long as they're properly supervised as they are inside the home and sleep better, I don't see what the problem is... In fact I might try it.
We have a fenced garden and two dogs trained in protection, if anyone wants to swoop down and take our baby without being noticed, it won't be easy for them :blush:

Liesje, i am so sorry i did not get to finish my comment/post. And i don't want you to take it the wrong way. So i apologize. I was unable to finish my thought because LO woke up. Screaming her head off actually. I DO know exactly what you were saying i really do. And now that we have talked (message) i feel lots better. I was going to get back on as soon as i had LO settled and finish writing the post i posted. Talk to you soon.. :hugs:

I dont and wouldnt! I live in the uk and i think of anyone was caught doing that here social services would have a lot to say

Erm my mum is a child protection social worker and has no problems leaving my LO outside in the pram when she has fallen asleep ( I told her she sleeps longer that way and always wakes if brought inside). Also there are registered child minders in my area who routinely put the children to sleep in the garden - these are vetted by Ofsted in order to be registered.

I don't see a problem with it, as long as baby is dressed alright for the weather? She would be in the garden, next to my livingroom with a massive window and 2 glass french doors through which I could see her.

I think fresh air is healthy. And surely SS isn't going to take her away? Would they also take her away if I'd take her out for a walk in this weather?

I'm not doing it, because she's a bad napper and I prefer sitting next to her, so I can resettle the second she wakes up.

Just wondering if anyone looked at the article? Do you also leave them outside when the elements are harsher like a couple ft of snow on the ground? Seriously, i am jsut courious. Not judging in the least. We do not practice this in US but i do take LO out for walks and to the park almost everyday, but not if the weather is bad. Thank you!

Well I have not done it yet since she is my first child and was born in the middle of summer, but sure, why not?
The only factor that would stop me is if it was pouring with rain or a blizzard, or incredibly windy.
Snow on the ground doent have much to do with the air temperature. You could still have plus degrees with a meter of snow.
The coldest temperatures normally occur when there are no clouds in the sky. Dont know why.
And as long as you dress them correctly, and are shielded from the wind, they will be fine even in minus degrees. Honestly, during last winter, I saw many mothers wheel their babies around in arctic snowy weather. If you wear the right gear it is no problem.
You can find clothing from haglof, Helle Hanson and 66 degrees north that sell good arctic clothing.
I really like the stuff from 66 degrees north as they have a huge infant selection. I have their outdoor sleeping bag for baby, and a full body fleace suit.
https://www.66north.com/shop/c-23-infants.aspx

I would love to get these onsies/vests. They are made of wool, but without the itch and are incredibly soft. Also very warm.

https://www.66north.com/shop/pc-1489-467-spoi-body-suit.aspx

I know with my grandmas generation this was standard practice and also standard to leave your pram outside the shops whilst you went in and passers by would play with your baby! I can't even imagine doing that in London now. Maybe some people with private gardens do it.

I would love to get these onsies/vests. They are made of wool, but without the itch and are incredibly soft. Also very warm.

https://www.66north.com/shop/pc-1489-467-spoi-body-suit.aspx

Ah, I LOVE clothes made from merino woll. Sooo soft!

I've actually never heard of this before! :-k
I live in an apartment though, so no backyard. :lol:

Social bloody services?? Seriously??

I was ALWAYS in the garden in my pram, especially in the summer. I was also left in my pram outside the local shop whilst my mum went in (although I wouldn't do that myself).

I personally haven't done this with my LO, but only because the opportunity hasn't arisen since she only sleeps on me or in her cot.

I also agree that paedophilia is as old as God's dog, it's just more widely discussed these days therefore kids are more likely to blow the whistle, unlike in my day when we hadn't got a clue what it was or that it existed. We knew we weren't supposed to talk to strangers but didn't know why exactly.

Just realised I sound a bit like my mum..... "We could go out all day and leave our front door open when I were a lass" (although she's not from Lancashire....). I had to remind her, though, that nobody was interested in stealing their mangle.

*waits patiently for the younger folk to ask what a mangle is*

Just realised I sound a bit like my mum..... "We could go out all day and leave our front door open when I were a lass" (although she's not from Lancashire....). I had to remind her, though, that nobody was interested in stealing their mangle.

LOL There are few people on the internet who I would like to have a beer with, and I you are one of them...does that sound a bit weird :blush::blush::haha::haha:

LOL There are few people on the internet who I would like to have a beer with, and I you are one of them...does that sound a bit weird :blush::blush::haha::haha:

:haha::haha:

and I you, my dear. Although I am boring in real life since I am constantly yawning or talking about poo or my scarred nether regions. :coffee:

Social bloody services?? Seriously??

I was ALWAYS in the garden in my pram, especially in the summer. I was also left in my pram outside the local shop whilst my mum went in (although I wouldn't do that myself).

I personally haven't done this with my LO, but only because the opportunity hasn't arisen since she only sleeps on me or in her cot.

I also agree that paedophilia is as old as God's dog, it's just more widely discussed these days therefore kids are more likely to blow the whistle, unlike in my day when we hadn't got a clue what it was or that it existed. We knew we weren't supposed to talk to strangers but didn't know why exactly.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm glad this topic was brought up, we love to sleep with the windows open all year round (except in the summer when the air conditioner is set to 15C lol) but I was worried we'd have to close the window if the baby is in with us... But guess not! :)

I was out on the balcony of our apartment in Germany so much I thought the pigeon was my Mother! Seriously.. it did me no harm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->