Baby Slings

L

lfernie

Hi ladies,

I'm Lauren and I have LO, Ryan who is 8 weeks old. I'm really interested in babywearing but not really sure where to start in terms of slings so really just looking for a bit of advice and any reccomendations for a first timer?

Thanks x

I'm not a sling expert as i've only ever had 1 but i did find this site useful when i was investigating them; https://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/zen-cart/

depends what you want hunni...take a look at the baby wearing thread in this section and see if there is anything that takes your eye!

my faves are my Moby and i had a Baby Hawk Mei Tai which was Lush but i wanted a more girly one!!LOL

there are loads of different carriers available out there so see what you like/dont like and we can advise you from there hun :hugs:

I'll have a look at the thread, since its my first I think something quite versatile so I can feed him in it as well as carry him also something my OH could wear. I think maybe a ring sling might be an idea! Thanks for your help xx I can't wait to get one!! x

have you looked to see if there's a sling meet near you so you can look through their library and try ones for free? If i remember rightly if you just enter sling meet into a search engine they'll come up.

Really? That sounds great! I didn't even know that existed! I'm so new to this x

:) i have a babyhawk and a melkaj mei tai and would recommend them to anyone, used the babyhawk since Aimee was a few weeks old, she loves it and just slept :)

If you can find a sling meet or a store that will let you try before you buy, I'd definitely recommend it. I thought Emma would love being in a sling but hated it- I guess baby's have favourites too. We have a Moby and hubby has bought us a BabyHawk for xmas. I love the versatility of the Moby but am looking forward to the baby hawk as it might be easier to put on in a snowy parking lot this winter :) Our BabyHawk is reversible too- flowers on one side for me and skulls on the other side for hubby :) Have fun shopping for a carrier- there are so many choices!

I also love the babyhawk - I find it easy to put on/take off and is really comfy and secure. I also have a moby which is more versatile in positions you can hold LO in, but takes a bit more practice to master. As for a sling that your OH will like, mine likes the backpack style ones rather than the wraps - like the ergo baby carrier - which carries like the babyhawk but is more backpack-like.
xx

I loved my ring slings for LO when he was small!!! They are still his favorite, but are hard on my back now for long carries as he weighs over 20 lbs. :dohh: They are a great place to start, though. However, in my experience, men don't like to wear them as the tail on them make them sorta girly. My DH wouldn't wear it, but was willing to wear other types, so we just got multiples kinds of carriers.

Babywearing is addictive!

Heres a fab place to look into all the different kinds of slings and the benefits of each xx

https://www.slingguide.co.uk/

Hey,

Well I've had a look at the babywearing thread and a wee look on some of the webs sites you guys have mentioned. I still like the ring slings, also the babyhawk and the moby. I think the ringslings look good for now as he can lay down if tired or feeding but he sit up if he wants a nosy about aswell but (correct me if I'm wrong) are they more of an indoor kind of sling iykwim? and also i think because the weights on one should carrying for a long time may be a problem. I think the Mei Tai looks really sturdy like you could have LO in all day but how is that for feeding/sleeping (the thing is LO loves falling asleep on me and being carried about so I'd quite like to get things done while he's on me). Also I like the moby and that seems really versatile but it looks quite difficult to wrap?Is it easy to get the hang of? Any comments on these three would be much appreciated! I had a look for the meets but the next one in my area is on Fri so I won't make it and I don't think there's another till Jan and I want to get one before then :hissy: xx

The Moby can take a bit of practice but imo the versatility makes it so worthwhile. I've BF'd in it- like clockwork, Emma wants to BF at my parent's house throughout Sunday dinner no matter how recent her last feed was and the Moby is discreet enough for me to feed her at the table even with my boobie-shy family around. I wear her every morning and she happily sleeps away while I get work done. I like that both the Moby and Mei Tai leave you a little more hands free to get stuff done. If you can't make a sling meet, are there any baby boutiques in your area that sell various carriers? You could see if they can lend you one to try or at least let you play with a few of them in the store.

I used the ring slings for all the things you listed just fine. I can carry LO in it MANY different ways. I snuggled him in a cradle postion when he was newborn, used kangaroo and budda carries, used it to just support his butt in a half lying position when it was hot (so his feet and arms could hang out to cool), and now use it to hold him in a chest to chest position with his legs around my waist. Oh, and I used it to nurse him in public many times -- no problems!

I also used ring slings outdoors loads. I was visiting a big city once for a week when he was 8 weeks old. I carried him all over in it for shopping and sight seeing. I still use it in the house when he needs rocked to sleep while I am standing (his favorite way to fall asleep) as I can stand there for ages and it is so much easier with his weight in a sling!

Now that he is so heavy and I want to put him on my back I have a mei tai that I made. I made it a little bigger than most, so he hasn't quite grown into it yet, so still likes the ring slings best. He still wants to be treated like a 5 month old even though he is the size of a one year old! :dohh: I was out Christmas shopping the other day (all day) and carried him in the mai tei on both my back and front. I was so glad for it! The shops were so busy and crowded and I saw LOADS of moms fighting with prams and bumping into things and not being able to get them around things. :nope: I just walked through places with LO snuggly attached to me!

I find the mai tei less practical for nursing. The ring sling works better for me. But lots of ladies nurse in the mai tei with no problems. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->