Baby wipes vs cotton wool?

Lil_Gem_1989

Reaction score
Just curious as i used cotton wool and water when my first was newborn but... Had an email about johnsons extra sensitive baby wipes saying they can be used on newborns as theyre as gentle as pure water. Now a bit unsure on which to use. Whats everyone else doing? :)

I'm going to use wipes, found cotton wool useless!

We will be using reusable flannel wipes. We will be cloth diapering so adding flannel wipes to the laundry won't be a big deal. I have two spray bottles, one with just plain water for small messes and one with water, some mild soap, and essential oils in it for when there are really dirty messes to clean up! I'll just spray some on the wipe and then wipe off the mess and throw the wipe in the wash with the diapers.

My current ds has a terribly sensitive bum so I use a brand called water wipes. Since switching he doesn't get a rash unless he's eaten something with too much citrus or high acid. I'll be using the same for this baby.

Only cotton wool for my babies born until at least 4 months. Then I'll be switching to reusable wipes with just water. I'd rather not put any chemicals on my childrens new skin

Cotton wool and water for the first few weeks then swap to cotton washable wipes, like mini flannels. I really don't like baby wipes as I find them really oily and smelly and you seem to need so many for each poo. Cloth just worked so much better in my experience. Each to their own though.

I don't like baby wipes like johnsons. If you read the list of ingredients it's full of unpronounceable chemicals. The only exception is water wipes as they have no chemicals in them.

With dd I got some of the wipes before they get chemicals added and just dipped them in water.

This time I have some soft cotton cloths and some of those dry wipes again and then water wipes when dd2 is a bit older :)

I agree, J&J tends to have a lot of harsh ingredients so we won't be using them this time around. . We're cloth diapering and we've made a bunch of flannel wipes, I'll be putting them in the wipe warmer with a solution I got off of Etsy with nice ingredients like goats milk and aloe : ). I also agree that it's easier to take care of messes with the cloth.

I will use cotton wool and water for about 4 weeks then move onto water wipes. I used simple wipes with my daughter after a month but I like the look of the water wipes (weren't around before). I am tempted to try the reusable wipes though. I would def advise to avoid j&j- many more better options.

I've always used huggies pure wipes from birth, IMO it's hard enough as a new mum without having to wipe with cotton wool! Though I am looking into reusable wipes this time. I've never had a problem with huggies pure.

It really seems to be a matter of trying a few with your baby. My dd got a really bad rash with huggies :(

Thanks for the advice ladies! Where can i get water wipes from? Xx

I've got the johnsons newborn wipes that say they are as safe as cotton wool and water, I also got plenty of cotton wool in (even though I can't stand the feel of it) I will just try the wipes on baby and if I feel they are to harsh I will use cotton wool and water x

We will use cotton wool with warm water at first because even the sensitive wipes gave LO awful nappy rash last time so we switched to cotton wool for a few months.

This thread is great! We are going to be using reusable wipes, but want to have some disposable wipes on hand for when we are out and about. I just ordered some Water Wipes off Amazon, they look great!

If you are in the uk some bigger supermarkets sell water wipes and Boots do too but it is cheapest from amazon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->