baby wipes

amylw1

my 3 boys in avatar. x
Reaction score
hi,

i was reading a post on another forum that was about baby wipes and most of the ladies were under the impression that you couldnt use them until baby was at least 6weeks old. and until this point they had to be cleaned with cotton wool and water. no-1 could or would say why this was.

now i cant stand the feel of cotton wool and i used baby wipes from birth with my 2 boys. i intend on doing the same with this 1.

anyone got any ideas on this?

i was given cotton wool by midwives when i had my first, tried it but it just went all bitty so switched to baby wipes, none of the midwives at the hosp said anything about it, nor did they when i used them on my second nor did the midwives that come to your house to do checks say anything lol so yes i will use them again on this one :p

well im guna see if i can use pampers sensitive ones, cos i hate cotton wool :?

You can use whatever you like but the hospitals and mw's do recommend cotton wool and warm water as its the purest thing and some baby wipes may irritate.

TBH i wanted to use wipes from the word go but i ended up using cotton wool pads and water for a few weeks, sooo much easier to clean up those first poops :lol:

You can also use muslin squares (that are washable) .. they are useful for just about everything. I'm avoiding baby wipes (the standard ones) because I have eczema and I'm kind of a bit anal about using things containing alcohol on baby's skin ... don't want to curse them with eczema, it's horrible. I think you can get natural wipes from mothercare that don't have alcohol in them as well, if you want to use them instead.

What about the sensitive ones like Pampers etc? Hubby has really sensitive skin so I have to use all non-bio etc any but would these be ok instead of normal ones?

I've packed a packet in my hospital bag, gonna use them if they dont say anything

I've had a look and there are a bunch of different kinds, here's what a quick search brought up:

Baby Wipes

I'll be using cotton wool or muslin wipes initially, and then moving onto one of the soap & alcohol free brands. I didn't realise there were so many kinds!!

I have brought soap, alcohol and fragrence free ones :)

Midwives would advise the use of cotton wool for the first few weeks - perhaps not as long as 6 though! Its purely because babies skin is so sensitive, you really dont want to aggravate it with any sort of wipe - no matter how mild xx

I used cotton wool & warm water for about 2months before moving onto Huggies wipes. Im def going to do the same again. Some wipes can be quite rough on their bums.
I noticed that Johnsons wipes irritate me really bad.

I did pack a pack of wipes in my hospital bag, they came in handy to freshen myself up.

well the midwife in hospitals tell you off for useing baby wipes on new born baby, well they did me,lol, she said that the parfumed one would irritate babys skin and cause bad nappy rash and draw the good oils out of babys skin. i never did know that, but to be honest when i was home i used them and it never did do anything to baby, but i used huggies babywipes that they say is like tissue and water. xx

I'm an old hippy and will be using washable nappies and washable wipes... But what are they going to do if you use them - shoot you?

Even if you fully intend on using baby wipes i'd really recommend cotton wool for the first couple of days ... lord know's you'd use an entire pack of wipes trying to clean their butts with those first meconium poops :lol:

well the midwife in hospitals tell you off for useing baby wipes on new born baby, well they did me,lol, she said that the parfumed one would irritate babys skin and cause bad nappy rash and draw the good oils out of babys skin. i never did know that, but to be honest when i was home i used them and it never did do anything to baby, but i used huggies babywipes that they say is like tissue and water. xx

they never said anything to me with either of mine, but then again they would get told its my baby and i'll use them etc. they can advise but they cant tell you what you can/cant do.

i wont be using cotton wool at all, as i said i dont like the feel of it wet or dry. (my poor boys cant even make snowmen at xmas with it).

we used wipes from the get-go but I think things are different over here :lol:

With my son I used baby wipes and I will with this one.

I used babywipes with Victoria, sounds bad but I didn't know any different. I wasn't able to care for Lauren for the first 2 weeks when she was first born so my OH and nurses did it all, but everyone at hospital assumed as it was my second baby I knew what to do. Luckily I had a lovely lady next to me who showed me how to top and tail.
I intend to use cotton wool this time around, as others have said it is easier for those early poops, but using wipes hasn't done any harm that I can tell.

I have used wipes on all three boys from day 1 home from the hospital... I have never noticed a reaction... so I will do it with this baby too... I have never heard the pediatricians recommend anything different over here...

My two year old has no reaction to them when I use them on his bum but if I use them on his face his skin on his face turns red... so he has sensitive skin... for some reason ... not on his bum which makes life easier for me...

I think you should do what feels right to you... you can always switch at anytime... good luck figuring it out.... :)

My Midwife gave me some sensitive non scented ones when I went to her last and said I could use them for the first few days before moving onto what kind I choose...I just accepted them as they were free wipes :rofl: I plan to use wool and water for the first few days simply as me and my sister suffer with excema (sp?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->