baby won't eat too much solids at one time?

psychochick

Reaction score
7.5mo. LO goes to day care now 5 days a week. At day care they feed him the baby food we bring which is 3-4 oz of puree. The lady said she feeds him 3 separate times to get him to take that much food. I've seen the same at home where he seems to like the food like he'll lean in to eat it but after 1-2 ounces he just loses interest. Is this a developmental thing? He's a BF baby and he's always fed very frequently so I wonder if he's just used to eating a little at a time.

Our pediatrician recommended that we start him on two solid meals like 8 ounces of solids but I don't see how that's possible if he can't even finish 4 ounces in one meal. Any suggestions?

I had to Google ounces to grams so hope I have it right. Mines 9.5 months and won't really eat that much either. However she doesn't eat purees so I'm not sure, I sort of judge it on volume but she isn't all that keen and only snacks here and there.

Being 7.5 months, maybe your LO is bored with puree? Have you or the career tried mashed foods or finger foods? Most babies are well onto different textures and styles by that age.

It's very normal for them to eat less when they are away from you somewhere unfamiliar. I would just be offering food at most meal times but don't focus on the quantity. There is no set 'amount' of food they should be eating at this age and it's all developmental. We never did purée but honestly mine was not eating much at all yet at 7 months. She started eating massive meals around 10-11 months (like sometimes more than I could eat in one sitting!). Just keep offering it regularly at each meal time, eat together and the same things when you can, and give it time. I would personally ignore your doctor as there is absolutely no evidence base that says babies need to eat a certain amount of food. They do need a certain amount of calories and liquid though so as long as you are continuing with milk feeds, it all balances out in the end.

Food before 1 is just for fun, I wouldn't take much notice if your dr, sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about.
My 7 month old goes some days with no food at all, other days she eats lots- but there's no measuring going on- we just try her with whatever were eating, if she wants it- great, if not, it's no bother- she's getting what she needs from the breast milk.

Thanks we have tried finger foods and he does okay with those. He is still working on the pinch motion so finger foods take a long time so when he's done he hasn't eaten that much but that's ok with me since I treat it as practice. He does take an active interest in what we're eating and he'll watch us and fuss until we give him some to try. But he's just experimenting, not treating it as actual meal. But I'll take his cue I guess. If he shows he wants more solids then I'll provide more. That's the whole philosophy behind baby lead weaning isn't it?

I think it's fine. He'll eat as much as he feels like and that's how it should be right? I also think it helps him develop a healthy attitude towards eating and hunger/fullness because you don't force him or keep pushing him to eat more. He'll learn to follow his own cues, instead of the 'good'-old 'finish your plate' philosophy.

My son is unstoppable. He is already annoyed by his bottles and will just down whatever we give him in purees or puffs or bread etc. I'm pretty sure he keeps eating when he's full (I stop him before that point though).

You're right, it really is just experimenting. It's a marathon not a sprint. Whether he really eats much right now doesn't matter, but what is key is just learning about what it's like to have meal times and practice those skills, like picking things up, bringing it to the mouth, learning about different tastes and textures, sitting at the table and listening to you talk, etc. If his pincer grip isn't developed yet, mine's wasn't until about 8-9 months, then big fist sized food is good. A broccoli floret, cucumber stick, a soft plum cut in half with stone removed, finger of toast, etc. They can usually pick those sorts of things up without too much trouble and gum them fairly easily. Really, mine was eating only very tiny amounts at 7 months. She was pretty ill from sometime around 8-9 months (bronchiolitis) so hardly ate anything at all but yogurt for month. But at 10 months, in one sitting, she ate half a small like 6" quiche! And then after that for breakfasts, she was having an entire adult sized bowel of porridge (like the quaker quick oats packets, a whole one made with full fat milk) and then a whole banana every day! She just needed time to get the hang of it and get interested. At that age, they really don't know they're meant to eat to feel less hungry, but it does come in time and then often it takes off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->